What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Russeler

I am considering buying a 40+ year car as it is free to tax (and a good inverstment) and buing a twin axel I-for-Williams trailer and using it for storage and parking it up on the public highways

Legal or ilegal?

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - mcb100
A quick look online suggests it must face forwards, so showing reflectors to the rear, and be illuminated at night.
West Yorkshire police’s response here - www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/questio...9
The overloaded element, I’d imagine, only becomes relevant if it’s towed. Though the onus would be on you to prove that it hadn’t been towed whilst exceeding weight limits.

Edited by mcb100 on 03/09/2022 at 10:43

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - _

Just a thought, If this is for your "40ish" year old classic car, Are you not just providing an easy way for it to be stolen, or even bits nicked off it.

If it is a "classic car for investment, Personally, I would be protecting it a bit better than that. For the cost of a decent ifor williams trailer you can rent a lock up gargage for a long time.

Just a thought, If this is for your "40ish" year old classic car, Are you not just providing an easy way for it to be stolen, or even bits nicked off it.

If it is a "classic car for investment, Personally, I would be protecting it a bit better than that. For the cost of a decent ifor williams trailer you can rent a lock up gargage for a long time.

I guess securing the car and trailer and where to park it are the key hear

I am paying 26 quid a week for a 50 squere foot unit; so not cheep!

Edited by Russeler on 03/09/2022 at 12:30

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - badbusdriver

So you want to buy a trailer to store a classic car (bought for investment purposes) on the roadside?.

I wonder how any potential thief might make off with it? ;-)

Seriously though, ignoring the legalities, in order to keep an old car in good condition, it really needs to be kept in the correct conditions (dry, condensation free, ideally heated). I can't see an old Ifor Williams trailer providing that, given the un-insulated thin aluminium skin, this would be about as bad for the car as just leaving it exposed to the elements.

So you want to buy a trailer to store a classic car (bought for investment purposes) on the roadside?.

I wonder how any potential thief might make off with it? ;-)

Seriously though, ignoring the legalities, in order to keep an old car in good condition, it really needs to be kept in the correct conditions (dry, condensation free, ideally heated). I can't see an old Ifor Williams trailer providing that, given the un-insulated thin aluminium skin, this would be about as bad for the car as just leaving it exposed to the elements.

Please reread the thread

A quick look online suggests it must face forwards, so showing reflectors to the rear, and be illuminated at night. West Yorkshire police’s response here - www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/questio...9 The overloaded element, I’d imagine, only becomes relevant if it’s towed. Though the onus would be on you to prove that it hadn’t been towed whilst exceeding weight limits.

I did not know that. The problem is what am I going to power the light with

But I guess a light would detere criminals

Edited by Russeler on 03/09/2022 at 12:32

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Adampr

Right, I think I get it. Your plan is to buy a worthless 40+ year old car, and a trailer, then fill the trailer up with junk.

The light could probably be solar powered. What's the car for?

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Xileno

Well I'm confused. Is the intention for the trailer to store the car? Or are they two separate transactions? You want to buy a 40 year old car and a trailer, the trailer to be used for storage which might be the car but could be other things; and the trailer might or might not be overloaded. Some of the twin-axle IW trailers are serious beefy things, it would not necessarily be the case the trailer is overloaded depending on what model you get and what the car is.

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Chris M

"illuminated at night"

Illuminated means showing the equivalent of parking ("side") lights on a car, not a floodlight.

Well I'm confused.

You are not the only one Xileno!.

If the trailer is not for storing the car (and therefore nothing to do with the question), why mention it?.

Is it all to do with this

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=163078...3

and these two

classics.honestjohn.co.uk/user-article/163326/byin...r

classics.honestjohn.co.uk/user-article/163174/n-a-...d

If you can't afford to pay for decent storage for a potential Citroen (which one?) Think very deeply about it.

Believe me, I have had and fully restored a few cars, with the bit that I had "free" workshop facilities, The whole thing isn't cheap.

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Adampr

I bought a 1965 Mercedes SEb coupe once. It cost my £8,000 and just needed some repairs to the fuel pump to get it sorted. 2 years, £16,000 and two drives later I sold it for £7,000...

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Gibbo_Wirral

The fact I've never seen an untaxed or uninsured car kept on a trailer on the public highway would lead me to think that either you're the first person to come up with this ingenious trick, or its either stupid or not legal.

The fact I've never seen an untaxed or uninsured car kept on a trailer on the public highway would lead me to think that either you're the first person to come up with this ingenious trick, or its either stupid or not legal.

Your quite clearly not reading the OP (and this goes to the above posters too!)

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Xileno

I suggest you contact the local Police to see what they think of the legalities of your proposal.

No he isn't.

Like myself, he is making an assumption based on what you have written. You want to buy a 40+ year old car and a trailer for storage. You may not have said outright that the trailer is to be used to store the car, but if it isn't, there is no reason to mention it. So the logical conclusion is that the trailer is for storing the car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/09/2022 at 18:05

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Bromptonaut

To avoid misunderstandings could you please explain what you intend for (a) the trailer and (b) the RVL exempt car?

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Gibbo_Wirral

I read it several times before posting. You're either:

1. Wanting to buy an old car and keep it on a trailer.

2. Wanting to buy an old car along with a trailer, and want to keep some unknown junk on it?

The fact most of us think its "1" shows your wording is at fault, not us.

Instead of being deliberately vague, why not tell us?

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Andrew-T

The fact I've never seen an untaxed or uninsured car kept on a trailer on the public highway ...

As I read the OP, he intended to attach the trailer to a 40-y-o car, then find somewhere to park the trailer full of junk, and drive away.

??

The fact I've never seen an untaxed or uninsured car kept on a trailer on the public highway ...

As I read the OP, he intended to attach the trailer to a 40-y-o car, then find somewhere to park the trailer full of junk, and drive away.

??

And not have to MOT or pay VED.

In fact, in our little street a while back a trailer, chained to his wall got nicked recently.

??

In fact, in our little street a while back a trailer, chained to his wall got nicked recently.

How did they pinch it?

??

How did they pinch it?

Presumably bolt cutters and a car with a towbar, couple of minutes?

How did they pinch it?

Portable angle grinder, a neighbour heard it, but thought someone working... and spotted the trailer going round the corner,

How did they pinch it?

Portable angle grinder, a neighbour heard it, but thought someone working... and spotted the trailer going round the corner,

Are yes a portable grinder is how I removed my last DVLA chain (please see my other post below). The one before that was a still saw

So they towed it right? I guess locking the brakes up might help, then they would need a HIAB crane on a mini truck to lift it out

If it was chained to the wall, could they have fitted a CCTV cambera on the house pointing at the trailer with sign saying smileyour on cambera

So neighbours heard it; so way not a 3am job then?

Was there a lot inside the trailer?

Edited by Russeler on 07/09/2022 at 15:45

error post

Edited by Russeler on 07/09/2022 at 15:36

??

How did they pinch it?

Then it cant of been a very thick chain. I have bolt cutter and the chain from a DVLA wheel clamp and that will not cut the chain

Edited by Russeler on 07/09/2022 at 15:38

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Cris_on_the_gas

Legal but you it would need lights at night if parked on the road.

Again, I am not sure we are getting anywhere with theses posts other than fantasy so, shall we close them?

ORB, Mod.

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Oli rag

This thread has certainly confused me, but I’m knocking on and that’s not too difficult these days!
Not sure why anyone would cut wheel clamp chains belonging to dvla and expect to get away with it? Surely they have all the details of the vehicle it was attached to?

Again, I am not sure we are getting anywhere with theses posts other than fantasy so, shall we close them?

ORB, Mod.

No we should not!

Parking an overloaded trailer on road side - Crickleymal

ORB, Mod.

Please. Close it soon.

I don't think we can help here.