Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 - tombond

Hi,

My budget is £10k. Diving not much (max 3-5 k a year), mainly commuting and shopping on short distances. Looking for a SUV with petrol engine. I wish to have AT, however for newer models this would be much more than my budget.

So I wondering, if would be better to choose older model of CR-V (like 2012-2-13) with AT and 2.0 V-tec petrol, which I can get under £10k depends from millage and condition, or CX-5 petrol 2.0 Sky Active newer model (2015-2016) but only with manual gearbox.

The CX-5 design is more sleek and modern, have better mpg, CR-V is more older fashion hover good reliability and AT would be a big advantage.

Which car would you choose ?

Edited by tombond on 24/08/2022 at 10:43

Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 - badbusdriver

As you have found, like the other thread re the CX-5, petrol auto's within a £10k budget are unavailable. As both are reliable, I guess it boils down to how much you want an auto and how much you prefer the looks of the CX-5.

The n/a petrol in the Mazda, like that of the Honda, is a bit lacking in torque, especially next to turbo rivals. So I'd go with the CR-V myself, but I'd also be looking at the RAV4 and maybe a Subaru Forester too.

Edited by badbusdriver on 24/08/2022 at 11:08

Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 - Engineer Andy

Hi,

My budget is £10k. Diving not much (max 3-5 k a year), mainly commuting and shopping on short distances. Looking for a SUV with petrol engine. I wish to have AT, however for newer models this would be much more than my budget.

So I wondering, if would be better to choose older model of CR-V (like 2012-2-13) with AT and 2.0 V-tec petrol, which I can get under £10k depends from millage and condition, or CX-5 petrol 2.0 Sky Active newer model (2015-2016) but only with manual gearbox.

The CX-5 design is more sleek and modern, have better mpg, CR-V is more older fashion hover good reliability and AT would be a big advantage.

Which car would you choose ?

Are you sure you need an SUV of that size? If so, it's a fair choice between them, where condition will often decide. There are other smaller SUVs, including from those makes you list (HR-V, CX-3) that might stiil fit the bill but are smaller to varying degrees.

Do you also need an SUV for a specific reason, bearing in mind you'll likely not be able to afford a 4WD version and thus a 'normal' car might come in cheaper for similar storage to those SUVs mentioned (especially for estate cars) and will likely offer better mpg/performance/handling to boot.

You may also find that as the looming recession bites, second hand price will soften to a reasonable degree as people start tightening their belts and demand slackens off, even with (likely) continued logistics and chip shortages on the new car front on the other side.

This may mean what wasn't affordable (includign newer vehicles) now may be in a few months. Can you hang on until then if you only want either the CR-V or CX-5?

I can wait, but It's hard to predict if they used cars price will go down. The inflation and prices are going up from months, but I not noticed any change of used cars price despite of less demand for car change.

Just wondering, if end of August or September would be the best time to grab a deal on used cars, as the new plates are coming in September ?

Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 - SLO76
I rate both of them, but despite both being sizeable SUV’s they’re very different in character. If you enjoy driving then the Mazda is the one to have, but if you want something relaxing with tonnes of space that uses a well proven and robust auto box then the CRV is a good bet. Take a decent drive in them both before finalising which direction you want to go in and I’d allow some of that additional budget onto the table if you do decide to go for a CRV and buy a post facelift example as they drive a bit better than the earlier examples.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/08/2022 at 21:12

Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 - FP

I haven't SLO's expertise, but broadly I agree. I have a petrol CX-5 and it's a lovely car to drive, though without a lot of poke. A friend has a petrol CRV - not sure of the year. When I'm a passenger in it to me it feels as if it wallows a bit, whereas the Mazda seems more solidly "planted" on the road and corners better. But I haven't actually driven it.

I decided to hold with buying CX-5 to the next year or so, maybe the used cars price market will fall settle down. For now I thinking to just get something under £5k. I used to have Mazda 6 2009 2.0 petrol and it has good reliability, so I could to get one again, but to be honest I would prefer some change and I would more like to have the older generation CR-V instead (pre 2012).

I would be able to get Honda CR-V 2009 /2010 with auto box, but higher millage (100k -130k) with full service history for about £4 -5k. I believe the Honda engine should be fine, but I'm worried about the auto box with millage over 100k. Of course I can do a test drive and check if the AT working smoothly, the problem is, I don't have much experience with driving auto box cars, so I may not spot if something going wrong with the gearbox.

What do you think guys, should I grab the Cr-V with AT or manual, if the millage is over 100k, or maybe I should back to Mazda 6, which to be hones, get bored after 10 years of driving it ??

Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 - Falkirk Bairn

I have a Honda CRV EX - 2012 petrol/auto and apart from maintenance it has been perfectly reliable - broken front spring (pothole) and new bushes on the same side.

I have had it from new. Booked in for the MoT /annual service the Indie warned me that the car might need more fettling as it will be10 years old in October. Mind you £120 of repairs in 10 years (no repairs in warranty needed) speaks volumes.

Warning - petrol/auto is asthmatic and likes a drink. Very comfortable, lots of space, Ex has lots of toys and drives well (Pensioner's view not a boy racer).

I had a Mazda Xedos(1999-2014) from almost new (2058 miles by garage) which was excellent - problems latterly were all age related rubber bushes, callipers and eventually rust in rear wings/suspension so I sold it - about £1,000 repairs in the whole ownership.

Honda CR-V with high millage ? - tombond

I decided to hold with buying CX-5 to the next year or so, maybe the used cars price market will fall settle down. For now I thinking to just get something under £5k. I used to have Mazda 6 2009 2.0 petrol and it has good reliability, so I could to get one again, but to be honest I would prefer some change and I would more like to have the older generation CR-V instead (pre 2012).

I would be able to get Honda CR-V 2009 - 2010 with auto box, but higher millage (100k -150k) with full service history for about £4 -5k. I believe the Honda engine should be fine, but I'm worried about the AT with millage over 100k. Is the AT in this model and generation reliable and long lasting even with higher millage ?

Of course I can do a test drive and check if the AT working smoothly, the problem is, I don't have much experience with driving auto box cars, so I may not spot if something going wrong with the gearbox.

What do you think guys, should I grab the Cr-V with AT or manual, if the millage is over 100k, or maybe I should back to Mazda 6, which to be hones, get bored after 10 years of driving it

Honda CR-V with high millage ? - Engineer Andy

Suggestion to the moderators - to merge all the threads on this ongoing choice on Tom's to avoid duplication or wasting of effort from Backroomers offering advice when a decision has been made by Tom not to go down a certain purchasing path.

Similarly with macbook's very similar threads for their choice of SUV (or not).

Honda CR-V with high millage ? - Xileno

Threads merged.

Threads merged.

Ta. Don't forget the other one for macbook. Same deal.

Honda CR-V with high millage ? - badbusdriver

Threads merged.

Are we sure macbook and tombond are not one and the same person?.

Not that unusual for more than one person to be looking for an automatic SUV I suppose. But both on a £10k budget and both coming from a Mazda 6?

Threads merged.

Are we sure macbook and tombond are not one and the same person?.

Not that unusual for more than one person to be looking for an automatic SUV I suppose. But both on a £10k budget and both coming from a Mazda 6?

Not sure on that - Xileno's merged thread for the fromer doesn't appear to show any reference to them owning a Mazda6, though possibly a CX-5. Hopefully both a different people and genuine requests for help, just with similar issues.

To be fair, my next choice may well be a similar car (mine might be a 2L petrol auto CX-30), so maybe it's just a change in what people want and the economic situation.

Honda CR-V with high millage ? - Brit_in_Germany

If you are sitting on the cash at the moment, with inflation at 10% or more, it doesn't really make sense to delay a major purchase unless there are serious reasons against it.

If you are sitting on the cash at the moment, with inflation at 10% or more, it doesn't really make sense to delay a major purchase unless there are serious reasons against it.

It might do if you don't need the car straight away and a big market correction is about to take place (when the big recession really hits).

The OP will have to balance what will likely be downward pressures on the price of second hand cars due to a lack of demand vs increased costs, at least of dealerships on the other. A private sale will likely be less affected, especially if people are forced into selling just to keep afloat financially when utility bills are going through the roof.

If second hand car prices are currently running at around a thrid higher than the historical trend, then a car (say) costing £15k today might cost a lot nearer to £10k in 6-9 months time. A saving of that magnitude is not to be sniffed at, and could offset the increased utlitity, (car) fuel and, to some extent, food prices.

Admitedly this scenario is no way guaranteed, just my opinion.