Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - Fyldeboy

Purchased car from Arnold Clark in Stafford but the only service history with it was the work they did to prepare for sale. I am now trying to rebuild the cars service history and, as it's just short of 50k, check if anything major hasn't been replaced that should have been.

The car was originally purchased by Avis in Bolton and it 'seems' they had a first service done on it. I have trawled Google and the Avis website to try and identify suitable people to contact to see if thay can confirm this, without success - any suggestions?

(I have a reciept for the 2nd service, provided by the garage that made the 2nd sale and subsequently maintained it)

All of the cars MOTs have been done by Arnold Clark in Wigan - and if someone pays a main dealer to do the MOT, chances are they will have servicing done there too. I have approached the manager of the branch that sold me the car, both AC branches in Wigan, AC customer service in Scotland (phone) and requested help via the AC website but I recieve silence. Any suggestions/contacts how I might get details of maintainence done?

Edited by Fyldeboy on 15/08/2022 at 16:06

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - elekie&a/c doctor
As an Avis rent a car , it’s likely to have no more than a top up of fluids and the lights and tyre pressures checked . Good luck getting a service record for that . It’s too old to be in the system.
Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - badbusdriver

I don't think you've a hope in finding evidence of the first service done on a 7 year old car while it was owned by Avis (assuming it was actually serviced).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all, but if this was important to you, you should have bought a car with full history (and ideally not an ex hire car).

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - Andrew-T

As a rental car it will probably have had basic servicing at the recommended intervals, to keep within the terms of the maker's warranty, at least within that period. Typically when the warranty ends, the car's first MoT becomes due, so it is possible that servicing coincided with those, but don't bank on it.

Many makers - I think Peugeot is one of them - keep computerised service records for cars maintained by their franchised dealers, so try that line of enquiry. If the car has no paperwork or warranty servicing record, you may be on a wild goose chase.

The 207SW I have owned since 2008 had been a rental car for its first 13K miles. I bought it from a Pug dealer who serviced it before sale, but the warranty record had no stamp in the first service box, just a sticker saying that T&C's had been complied with. The car has given me no trouble for 13 years, so I may have been lucky.

What do you consider to be 'anything major' ? I doubt there is any such thing listed beyond regular oil and filter changes at 7 years and 50K miles. Cambelt won't fall due until 100K, and discs and pads will be 'as required'.

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - Fyldeboy

Thanks. Despite having spent 500 on it in the last fortnight, I'm exceedingly happy with it.

I've got the Peugeot app but it has no record of the service history.

It's reassuring to know no essentials are likely to have been missed at this stage :)

Edited by Fyldeboy on 15/08/2022 at 18:17

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - elekie&a/c doctor
You haven’t mentioned wether it’s a petrol or Diesel engine . If it’s the latter, I would be inclined to carry out an oil service at more regular intervals to what is in the service schedule.
Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - Terry W

You have already bought the car.

After 7 years and a lowish mileage there is little of note that would be required other than normal service items (oil, filters) and items suffering normal wear (pads, wiper blades etc)

Finding a service history will make no difference to the future - all that you may usefully do is a very full service to ensure that if anything had been missed, the omission is now rectified.

You haven’t mentioned wether it’s a petrol or Diesel engine . If it’s the latter, I would be inclined to carry out an oil service at more regular intervals to what is in the service schedule.

Yes, if you intend to keep a diesel car, ignore the 12K service interval (if that is what the handbook says) and make it 8K for oil and filter. definitely worth it in my (limited) experience, and probably worthwhile for petrol too. If there is no handbook, get one.

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - Lee Power

Cambelt won't fall due until 100K, and discs and pads will be 'as required'.

If its the Purecrap 1.2 engine then the timing belt replacement interval was reduced down to 62500 miles / 6 years whichever came first.

Cambelt won't fall due until 100K, and discs and pads will be 'as required'.

If its the Purecrap 1.2 engine then the timing belt replacement interval was reduced down to 62500 miles / 6 years whichever came first.

Should have been done then. But we haven't been told yet ...

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - John F

Should have been done then. But we haven't been told yet ...

This is a Peugeot precautionary following the disastrous hit to their reputation by the manufacturer of a large quantity of dodgy cambelts (does anyone know who?) which gradually disintegrated. This affected cars from roughly 2013 to 2017. Bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I have no intention of changing our Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech cambelt after a mere 6yrs and probably well under 40,000 miles. I shall merely inspect it when I change the oil every 10,000 miles with my homemade tool to measure its width (1.6cm). This superb (IMHO) little engine has been churned out in huge quantities for many different cars during the past five years with no recent reports of any problems that I have seen. Admittedly it is perhaps too early to be confident that it will match the durability of our old Focus Zetec engine, whose cambelt lasted the life of the car (21yrs and 160,000 miles), as its designers intended. I will keep you posted!

Mr L P above has been a major contributor to threads on different forums about his unfortunate experience with one of these faulty belts which has understandably coloured his views.

Peugeot 308SW II (2015) - Service History Advice Please - Lee Power

Mr L P above has been a major contributor to threads on different forums about his unfortunate experience with one of these faulty belts which has understandably coloured his views.

Whatever you say - I know from my own experience plus that of a work colleague & also my mechanic friend who also both had issues with there Purecrap powered Peugeot vehicles timing belts that this multiple award winning engine design is just garbage.

FWIW I never had any issue with the belt on mine ( which was older then the 2 examples above ) apart from Peugeot reducing the replacement interval, it was the coking up of the intake valves at 34k miles & Peugeot UK lack of customer service attitude to a known design fault that annoyed me.

It had started to consume oil when it was traded in with 43k miles - its someone else's problem now.

<< Should have been done then. But we haven't been told yet ... >>

Perhaps the OP has lost interest - he hasn't commented for a couple of days ?