Toyota Yaris 1.0 2007 - Fan kicking in after a few miles - mikem004

Fan unexpectedly comes on after about 10 mins light driving.

- Not leaking coolant. No warning lights shown.

- Return (bottom) hose from rad is very hot, hotter than the input (top) hose.

- Started doing this after I replaced the battery. But I would expect a blown fuse to cause the fan *not* to come on.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 2007 - Fan kicking in after a few miles - Adampr

Airlock in the return? Try leaving it pointing up hill overnight with the rad cap off.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 2007 - Fan kicking in after a few miles - elekie&a/c doctor
I would check coolant level with a cold engine . The only weak point on these is the water pump . Common failure.
Toyota Yaris 1.0 2007 - Fan kicking in after a few miles - daveyjp

Same engine as the 2006 Aygo and ours needed a new waterpump.

Check around the water pump for pink/white residue. It may not be enough of a leak to leave a drip or pool of water as evidence of a problem.

Coolant level when cold is OK.
Water pump was replaced about 15k miles ago.

If the car has working Aircon , then cooling fan will cycle on and off if the ambient temperature is high.

No aircon. I just open the side window!

Heating is off.

My next move might be to see if the heating works as expected. An airlock would affect the heating, wouldn't it?

Yes . Any air in the system will prevent correct heater operation. No temp gauge on these , or just a “game over “ warning light ?

On a much older car, I used to start it with the cap off, heater on max and rev the engine for 10-15 minutes to try to clear any air. Depending on what set-up it is, you can probably give the hoses a squeeze whilst it's running, cap still off, and get the occasional satisfying belch out of it.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 2007 - Fan kicking in after a few miles - edlithgow

On a much older car, I used to start it with the cap off, heater on max and rev the engine for 10-15 minutes to try to clear any air. Depending on what set-up it is, you can probably give the hoses a squeeze whilst it's running, cap still off, and get the occasional satisfying belch out of it.

Dunno if these are especially problematic for airlocks, but on the Skywing, which seems to be, I jam a series of funnels, champagne-glass cascade stylee in the radiator fill port, to provide expansion room, then I run the engine with the cooling fan disabled until the coolant boils, clearing the air.

A bit alarming, but I feel its safer than running with an air pocket in the system.

The user manual advises to stop the car immediately if the warning light flickers.

Generally speaking, is it safe to run a car when the fan is operative? In the past, I have been stuck in traffic queues when the fan comes on. But not in open traffic as far as I can recall.

How do you know if the fan is operating when driving?

>How do you know if the fan is operating when driving?<

I can hear it with the window down. It's on full blast.

As there’s no temp gauge , it may be an idea to buy a cheap obd reader that plugs into the diagnostic socket, this will allow you to read actual coolant temp .

The user manual advises to stop the car immediately if the warning light flickers.

Generally speaking, is it safe to run a car when the fan is operative? In the past, I have been stuck in traffic queues when the fan comes on. But not in open traffic as far as I can recall.

Kind of an odd question. The fan comes on when the coolant temperature at the sensor location is higher than a preset. It would be unsafe to run a car when that was the case and the fan was inoperative, because there would be a risk of overheating damage.

In open traffic your forward motion probably induces sufficient airflow in normal circumstances to keep the temperature below that at which the fan would come on.

If this has changed, it suggests either your system isn't cooling so well as it used to, the temperature sensor and/or the control gear, including the ECU, is commanding the fan on incorrectly, or (less likely) the engine is generating more heat.

On old style cars you can bench test the operation of the temp sensor and thermostat using hot water. Dunno about newer ECU-controlled systems.

Heating/cooling many possibilities...clogged radiator (inside or outside), defective thermostat, water pump failure, air pocket, brakes binding, bearing failure, low oil, running lean, engine mistiming, er...head gasket failure. The last is something of a worst case cooling-wise and is not specifically indicated by your symptoms as reported.

At the moment my temp sensor is disconnected and I switch the fan on manually when I drive the car. Doesn't do any harm apart from fan wear and excess electrical demand.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/07/2022 at 11:49

I was suggesting an airlock because the return is hotter than the flow. I can't think of any instance where that would happen other than if the temperature being measured on the return was conducting though air instead of coolant.

Parked it on a slope overnight. Just removed the radiator cap when the engine was cold.

No rush of air or bubbles. Couldn't see nothing, not the expected blue liquid.

Maybe I need to get the engine warmed up first?

If you couldn't see liquid then presumably you were seeing air. Top up indicated before further investigation.

>If you couldn't see liquid then presumably you were seeing air. Top up indicated before further investigation.<

But there was plenty of coolant in the expansion tank...

It won't do a lot of good in there!

The cooling system should be pulling from the tank as it cools down. Check the pickup hose from the expansion tank is complete and not blocked or kinked.

If there is no coolant visible under the cap when cold, you haven't got enough in there. It should be full to the cap AND the expansion tank full to max

>If there is no coolant visible under the cap when cold, you haven't got enough in there. It should be full to the cap AND the expansion tank full to max<

The user manual advises that a level midway between MIN and MAX in the coolant reservoir is OK.

It also advises to monitor and top up low coolant levels using the coolant reservoir.

No problems with the pickup hose, so I presume that no top up is needed.

Edited by mikem004 on 14/07/2022 at 13:58

What about the coolant level in the radiator, below the pressure cap ?

>What about the coolant level in the radiator, below the pressure cap ?<

The user guide does not mention checking via the radiator cap.

In any case the "radiator cap" is connected to the top hose as far as I can see. The black plastic seems a bit wet, but I can't see a full level of fluid in there. This is when the engine is stone cold.

Edited by mikem004 on 14/07/2022 at 14:24

Whatever the user guide says , this is what needs to be checked next . Engine cold . I suspect there is not enough coolant in the system .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 14/07/2022 at 14:28

Toyota Yaris 1.0 2007 - Fan kicking in after a few miles - Andrew-T

Do you know whether the thermostat opens and closes correctly ? If it is slow to open the coolant will not circulate early enough.

Radiators I am familiar with have an escape pipe below the filler cap. If coolant has escaped by that route, that may explain why you see 'nothing' when you lift the cap later ?

It might also be worth changing the radiator cap. If it's been in there for 15 years, it might not be sealing. That would allow coolant to escape and prevent the system for pressurising properly. If would also mean that the radiator is drawing air through the cap on cooling, rather than more coolant from the expansion tank.

My garage did a pressure test. OK, no leaks in the system.
Checked fan operation. OK
Replaced the coolant and test drove the car.

Seems to be OK now. Return hose is cooler than Input hose, as expected.

My garage did a pressure test. OK, no leaks in the system.
Checked fan operation. OK
Replaced the coolant and test drove the car.

Seems to be OK now. Return hose is cooler than Input hose, as expected.

My best guess would be that you incidentally either cleared a sediment blockage or an airlock.

It seems very unlikely that fresh coolant will of itself resolve an overheating problem, if you had one.

But wouldn't draining and replacing the coolant eliminate any air locks in the system?

Either way, the coolant was due for replacement.

But wouldn't draining and replacing the coolant eliminate any air locks in the system?.

Would that it was always so simple.

But it MIGHT.

Which is what I said.