Golf MkII Heater blows cold - Jimma
I recently bought a J reg MkII driver (1595cc). Unfortunately, the heater refuses to blow anything warmer than room temperature air. It does however, blow some hot for a few seconds before cooling.

At a recent service, some coolant additive was put in the resevoir in an effort to remove any blockages in the matrix pipes. This seems not to have helped.

I have arrived at the conclusion, therefore that the matrix needs replacing. Is the small burst of hot air due to the warmed air in the duct before air is blown through?

I am no expert mechanic though, so any advice would be welcome as to what is needed.

I have heard it is a bit of a task, so may well send it to the garage. How much would it cost?

Cheers
Golf MkII Heater blows cold - ajsdoc
Not sure if the golf is the same but I've previously asked for advice regarding a similar problem on a Jetta and managed to cure the problem.

See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=84...1

Hope the link works (it probably won't!)

Golf MkII Heater blows cold - Drew20
very common problem with the mk2.
look under your bonnet and at the back near (and central of) the coil there should be two pipes heading into the bulkhead. If your car has had the recall modification (HJ has info on this) done then just before the pipes go through the bulkhead they go through two valves (one on each pipe) which are linked by a thinner pipe.
Your problem will probably be the metal valve being jammed shut and diverting all the hot water down the small pipe and bypassing the matrix.
about 25 quid from VAG or try some at the scrapper, test before you buy as it is a common fault.

It could be the matrix being blocked but I would try the valve first as the matrix is a real pain (literally with blood)
Golf MkII Heater blows cold - leeboy
try replacing the thermostat first,only cheap,if the matrix has gone it would leak water into the footwells,pretty sure it is thermostat,hope this helps.