Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - John Mcfarland
We’ve had our car for just over a year, but it’s really poor on fuel on short journeys, if we don’t have a motorway trip on a full tank full then it averages below 25mpg, this is checked by amount of miles to fuel used, not through the cars reading, it’s fully serviced with the correct oil, filters and spark plugs, non of the brakes are bing either, I’m wondering if it’s just the short runs that cause this or if I should be looking for any other issues, motorway journeys average 45mpg, we never had this problem with our 1.8 mk8 civic.
Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - Adampr

Once you've checked your tyre pressures, it's most likely just the nature of the engine. As far as I know, Skyactivs are not turbocharged and better suited to constant speed than stopping and starting.

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - Engineer Andy

I suppose it really depends upon how short the trips are, though I suspect something else is going on here. I presume the brakes aren't been ridden either. Did you actually have the brakes checked by a mechanic to see if they were binding (stuck on shoe(s) and/or warped discs)?

I own a 1st generation Mazda3 1.6 petrol, and aside the the occasional 'Italian tuneup', my mpg has never dopped (over a run) below 34mpg, and that was in heavy traffic.

Your car on an average driving pattern (borne out by the data in HJ's 'Real MPG' section) should be averaging around the 45mpg mark, and likely around the high 30s in heavy traffic.

Obviously for using a car for just short trips to the shops will reduce that (and not do any non-EV any good at all) down to the low 30s because petrol cars will always use a rich mixture for the first few minutes upon a cold start, but to me, something seems off if you're only getting low 20s mpg out of it.

I take it you've done a 'brim-to-brim' mpg check rather than used the trip computer, most of which aren't that accurate?

A sensor of some kind may be giving a false reading for one reason or another and may need cleaning/clearing of debris or a faulty one replaced or a dodgy connection rectified. Not sure wheteher clogged fuel injectors would give that sort of problem, or at least to that degree.

If it was, it should be reasonably simple to clear it using (via the fuel tank) shop-bought injector cleaners, which are a decent, relatively alternative to using branded super unledaded. I'm also presuming that other people haven't experienced similar problems in your area - perhaps bad fuel?

Other than that, a check for fault codes via the OBD port might be worth it Just guessing on my part. Others here are more technically qualified on diagnosing such issues.

With a bit more thought; has it been serviced by Mazda? Skyactiv-x engines achieve their economy by switching between two modes depending on engine load. I suppose your car may be stuck in one mode or switching incorrectly. Probably only a Mazda garage can look into that.

With a bit more thought; has it been serviced by Mazda? Skyactiv-x engines achieve their economy by switching between two modes depending on engine load. I suppose your car may be stuck in one mode or switching incorrectly. Probably only a Mazda garage can look into that.

Its a 2015 car, which means it's a Skyactiv-G, which has only one mode of operation (spark ignition, direct injection), which by itself is about 10-15% more fuel efficient than my old car's port injection engine.

The new SA-X even if it was 'stuck' in spark ignition mode would likely be as fuel efficient as its predecessor rather than the 10-15% boost overall when it can go into compression ignition mode.

Other issues could be (quick Google search): a very dirty air filter (I have read some unfortunate accounts of some dealerships [this happens on many makes, just not that often] not changing filters at services but pretending [and charging for that] they have]) or a dirty MAF sensor.

Whether the combination of a direct-injection engine and lots of repeated short trips from cold also make a difference, I don't know. It can create other problems, but they may not have that much effect on mpg.

Its a 2015 car, which means it's a Skyactiv-G, which has only one mode of operation (spark ignition, direct injection), which by itself is about 10-15% more fuel efficient than my old car's port injection engine.

Yes, I wrote that, then realised I was speaking from my posterior but decided I might as well accept the inevitable correction. From my own brief Google, it seems the SA-G runs on a high compression ratio and relies on some exhaust jiggery-pokery to enable that. Possibly the reason for the sensitivity to air filters?

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - Bolt

Yes, I wrote that, then realised I was speaking from my posterior but decided I might as well accept the inevitable correction. From my own brief Google, it seems the SA-G runs on a high compression ratio and relies on some exhaust jiggery-pokery to enable that. Possibly the reason for the sensitivity to air filters?

I thought Mazda's idea was to burn completely the compressed mixture so the lean mix or air fuel mix was completely burnt, in a lean burn iirc some of the mix wasn`t burnt so escaped the spark because the mix wasn`t rich enough to burn, Mazda used the higher compression to burn the mixture all through so none of the mixture was wasted

Now they are moving to 2 stroke

I thought Mazda's idea was to burn completely the compressed mixture so the lean mix or air fuel mix was completely burnt, in a lean burn iirc some of the mix wasn`t burnt so escaped the spark because the mix wasn`t rich enough to burn, Mazda used the higher compression to burn the mixture all through so none of the mixture was wasted

Now they are moving to 2 stroke

Yes, but you were previously describing the HCCI tech in the gen-4 car, and the OP owns a 2015 gen-3 car which just has 'standard' spark-direct injection, albeit with a high-er compression ratio than other makes, but not as high as their new HCCI engine.

Note that you can buy Mazda3s with either engine tech (both 2L petrol) for their latest gen-4 cars. The Skyactiv-X is more expensive than Skyactiv-G due to the better performance or mpg it derives.

The Skyactiv-G should get an average mpg figure (for mixed driving) nearer to its 'official' one than other makes which use small capacity turbocharged engines of similar performance, though in the end the real-world difference isn't that much, with some (e.g. the VAG 1.4TSI 140/150) actually bettering it in real world mpg and performance.

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - sammy1

I suppose it depends on how you define short. If you are only doing anything less than say 5 miles the engine does not get near optimum operating temperature so I am not surprised that you only get 25mpg from a 2litre car. Driving style might help but if you are queuing or on a rat run with lots of braking not much you can do except not use the car as some are doing with the price of fuel.

In your other thread re more economical cars they all suffer to a large degree on the so called urban cycle and none of them hit the figure quoted by the manufacturer. If you are happy with your Mazda you might as well hang on to it as changing to try to improve the economy will cost you a lot more money

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - moward

I'm currently getting around 32mpg average per tank mainly urban driving at the moment in my Mazda6 estate. In my last place of work which involved some A road driving, I averaged about 45mpg.

My urban commute is about 6 miles each way and isn’t overly congested thankfully, I tend to travel at quieter times (outside of the school run window). Short runs shouldn’t really be an issue, at this time of year, mine is warmed up within the first mile (start stop system kicks in when it is).

If in very heavy start stop traffic, I could probably expect to do a bit worse than I currently am, however 25 does seem on the low side. Might be worth rechecking that your brakes aren’t sticking a bit, strip them apart and regrease the pins, and also pump your tyre pressures up a bit. The pressures on the door jamb can be a little on the soft side so try adding an extra 2psi in. Also after a good long run in mine recently after many months of urban crawling, the engine is running like a metronome, so maybe a good thorough Italian tune-up is all you need. Get it nice and hot to burn of any carbon that my have built up on the inlet valves.

In comparison, my wife's CHR hybrid can exceed 70mpg on the days that i borrow it (just spotted your other thread). Even still, it would take many many miles of driving to make back the cost of changing car so I wouldn’t recommend you do so on a knee jerk.

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - Alby Back
Any journey less than a mile, we walk. Less than 5 miles, we use our bikes. Over five miles or if the weather is totally evil, then ok a car is good.
Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - daveyK_UK
How have you found the 1st year of Mazda 3 ownership?
Would you recommend the car?
What is particularly good and bad?

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - FoxyJukebox
Splendid policy-I do exactly the same.
TransportMinister take note
Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - John Mcfarland
Thanks for all the replies.
The car is fully serviced by Mazda, I’ve checked tyre pressures and brakes are all ok, I’ll be having the maf checked this week.
My wife uses mainly for short journeys taking her mum doctors, hospital and shopping etc, so the journeys are probably around 3-5 miles each way, which I understand will use more fuel, but not to the extent it is, our old civic was easily 30mpg doing the same.
I also feel when I drive it, which is mainly motorways the power seems to have dropped off, having said that I drive a diesel van with loads of torque.
I am considering getting rid in all honesty for a city type car, but not sure if the compromises and costs will warrant this, but with fuel costs ever increasing I need to look at all options, unfortunately with shipping an elderly lady about it’s not possible for us to walk or ride a bike??
Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - moward

I also feel when I drive it, which is mainly motorways the power seems to have dropped off,

This is a tell tale sign of the electronic power limiter that Mazda use to differentiate between their engine options. All three variants of Skyactiv G on the market, 120, 145 and 165, use the same hardware but with different ECU software. Im assuming yours is the 120bhp version. The torque gets truncated above a given rpm to keep the power output with the precribed limit.

A poster on another forum has covered this before whilst having their vehicle retuned, look at the dyno curves on the third image down, which shows how the torque curve drops down whilst the power curve flat lines (orange lines in the photo). The green lines show the remapped/unrestricted power and torque curves.

BBR - Super 170 SkyActive upgrade - my report - Mazda 3 Forums UK

Good news is that if you dont like it as it is, you can remap quite easily. Usual caveats apply.

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - Manatee

What do you mean by a short trip? I can easily average 45 in my MX-5 1.5 Skyactiv-G (129bhp), and the those with the 2 litre cars say they get up to 5 mpg less. Unless you are literally driving a few hundred yards, it does sound as if there is something amiss even allowing that the MX-5 is probably 25% lighter.

Mine is currently showing an average of 40 on the current tank, over about 280 miles, but that includes 52 miles around Castle Combe circuit at just over 20mpg, so driving there and back worked out at about 50.

Skyactiv-G of that vintage do have a 'high' compression ratio by traditional standards. I've seen 13/14/15 in the spec for different applications.

Mazda chose this unforced induction strategy rather than turbos because in the real world it is more economical. Under the previous convention the mpg of some turbo petrol cars was 20% or more worse than the official combined figures. It does sound as if there is something not quite right.

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - John F

I think there must be something wrong with it. Even my 40yr old 2.0 litre TR7 does better than that with its primitive engine management system of two lengths of wire. (Choke and accelerator cables).

Mazda 3, 2.0 skyactiv petrol, 2015 - Fuel economy- short trips - maz64

I think there must be something wrong with it. Even my 40yr old 2.0 litre TR7 does better than that with its primitive engine management system of two lengths of wire.

I was going to suggest that could be due to a lack of namby pamby safety equipment making it significantly lighter. But there doesn't appear to be that much in it - google suggests 1100kg for the 7 vs. 1280 for the 3.

Edited by maz64 on 13/06/2022 at 20:55