What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
7 seater car - George Benjamin
We are currently expecting twins and currently have 7 and 9 year old so will need a 7 seater soon. My budget is £10k at a push. I want something that is obviously safe - I’ve looked at zafira and those back seats seem to have limited protection at the back. Also need to be able to fit a double buggy in there somewhere too. I’m considering volvo xc90, kia sorento at the moment but any other suggestions or advice welcome.
thank you in advance
7 seater car - Xileno

Congrats!

I think I would add the Ford Galaxy to your list. 2.0 diesel with manual gearbox has been recommended a few times on this forum.

7 seater car - nellyjak

Might be worth considering an import (JDM) Toyota Estima.?...loads of bangs for your £10k..

I've had mine (7 seater) for over 6 years...never been an ounce of trouble.

7 seater car - Adampr

I would go for an MPV over SUV. Less fashionable, so more for your money.

Kia Carens, Seat Alhambra/VW Sharan. Go for an Alhambra or Sharan and you get sliding doors (powered on some).

If you can deal with enormous and weird, Ssangyong Turismo.

7 seater car - daveyK_UK
Would you get a 19 plate Vauxhall Combo Life 1.2 petrol 5 seater or 7 seater for your budget?

A 5 seater Van based MPV would take 5 and a pram and car seats with plenty of space to spare ,

A 7 seater would be ideal but may be out of your price range as you simply remove one of the back seats in the combo life which then gives you both a huge boot space for the pram but also a proper sized seat for one of the kids (or adults ) to keep them separate.

The beauty of the combo life / Berlingo / Peugeot Rifter in 7 seater form is they have full size seats not tiny things that a kid can barely fit into without a car seat, never mind with one added,
7 seater car - SLO76
Forget the XC90, on your budget it’ll be over a decade old with a six figure mileage and although these were much better built than the woeful XC60 I had, you’d be buying one that’s at that stage in its life when crippling repairs will be a regular occurrence. Parts are horrendously expensive too. I’d forget anything prestige if you’re on a limited budget.

A Ford Galaxy is a good call, if you stick with a manual 2.0 TDCi with full history. A Zafira is a good car but I’d avoid the Fiat sourced 2.0 diesels.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/06/2022 at 15:34

7 seater cars XC90 ? - George Benjamin

Thanks for all the replies and advice - I was originally considering the XC90 mainly due to the safety aspect - from what I read it was the safest 7 seater out there, especially when regularly using the back row of seats which we will be. However I will now re-consider and have another look into reliability and repair costs....

Does anyone have any info regarding safety rating on 7 seaters?? I understand that NCAP don't do any rear shunt testing which would be relevant in these cars where the back seats are almost in the boot.

7 seater cars XC90 ? - Sulphur Man

Twins, plus two young children and two parents can be acoomodated in 6 seats.

Have a look at the Honda FR-V. That budget will buy the best example you can find, with plenty of change. The 1.8 petrol auto is the one to get. We've had our since 2011, never missed a beat. Fantastic cars. And you'll get the double buggy in it too.

7 seater cars XC90 ? - Adampr

I had an FR-V too. 2.2 diesel. It was brilliant, and I wish Honda still made them (there are free of us so we all sat in the front with the back seats down. They're getting a bit long in the tooth, though, and mine had a real appetite for drive shafts (possibly linked to driving it 35,000 miles a year fairly aggressively....)

I suppose £5k for a good FR-V would leave plenty for repairs!

7 seater cars XC90 ? - UCB
Ditto the FRV. We had our 2.2 ctdi for 8 years from 3 year old and apart from drop links needing replacement every couple of years it served us well with 3 young kids including twins. Ran it up to 125k and then got a Toyota Verso which we still have. The Verso is nearly as practical and has been very reliable in 1.6 D4D form. With manufacturers producing less MPV’s, I’ve noticed a lot of larger families running Ford Transit Customs or VW T5 Kombi’s.
7 seater cars XC90 ? - badbusdriver

Would you get a 19 plate Vauxhall Combo Life 1.2 petrol 5 seater or 7 seater for your budget?

No, you'd need a couple of grand extra to get into one of these and even then, it would be the 1.5 diesel. Cheapest 1.2t petrol on Autotrader is £14.5k. But the other problem with getting one of these, even if it was in budget, is the boot space on the standard length version is not enough for all the OP's gear at a paltry 65 litres with 7 seats in place. There is a long wheel base version, but even on that, the boot space with all 7 seats in place is 320 litres, about the same as a current VW Polo.

Twins, plus two young children and two parents can be acoomodated in 6 seats.

Have a look at the Honda FR-V. That budget will buy the best example you can find, with plenty of change. The 1.8 petrol auto is the one to get. We've had our since 2011, never missed a beat. Fantastic cars. And you'll get the double buggy in it too.

The boot on an FR-V is around 450 litres if memory serves, and while that is a lot more than you'd get in a Zafira with 7 seats in place, I'm not convinced it would be enough for a family with 4 kids!.

Might be worth considering an import (JDM) Toyota Estima.?...loads of bangs for your £10k..

I personally love these big JDM MPV's, but in this case I'm not sure it would be a good choice. I guess it would depend on how often you are going to need more than 6 seats. At this price point, only 6 of the 7 or 8 seats would have 3 point seatbelts, the other 1 or 2 would be lap belts. Also, I'm not sure how many (if any) isofix points there would be.

I'm not sure I'd rule out the XC90 completely, but you do need to be aware of the potential for big bills. Look for a low owner car that has been well looked after, plus, if you can stomach the fuel cost, I believe the petrol engines are the most reliable. Still likely to be a problem with boot space though. The figures I can find say that with all seats in place, the XC90 has 250 litres, which really isn't that much.

The Galaxy/S Max are quite often mentioned here, but again, I'd be concerned about boot space in the OP's case. While there is certainly more than you'll find in a Zafira or similar, it still isn't that much at around 300 litres.

The Ssangyong Turismo was mentioned earlier, that has 875 litres with all 7 seats in place, much more like it!. But as well as that, I'd be looking at the often overlooked Hyundai i800. Similar in size to the Ssangyong, but perhaps a little easier on the eye, the i800 is actually an 8 seater with 850 litres of boot space when all seats are in place. There are not going to be too many of either of these two at £10k (especially with 'reasonable' miles) around, but they are out there.

7 seater cars XC90 ? - Ian_SW

The i800 drives surprisingly well given its size.

I had one as a work hire for a while. It was much less bouncy than other "van" MPVs and the big 2.5 diesel pulls it along pretty nicely.

The boot with all the seats up was still bigger in footprint than most estate cars. Apparently in Korea they can have a 4th row of seats.

The downsides were fuel consumption, low 20s mpg on the motorway in an auto. It's also huge meaning it doesn't fit properly into most parking spaces, with most multi storey car parks unusable.

7 seater cars XC90 ? - badbusdriver

The i800 drives surprisingly well given its size.

I had one as a work hire for a while. It was much less bouncy than other "van" MPVs and the big 2.5 diesel pulls it along pretty nicely.

The boot with all the seats up was still bigger in footprint than most estate cars. Apparently in Korea they can have a 4th row of seats.

Yes, the big Ssangyong too.

It's also huge meaning it doesn't fit properly into most parking spaces, with most multi storey car parks unusable.

It is, but no more so than the big German SUV's, in fact the Merc GLS is longer and wider than the i800 (and Turismo). Most double cab pickups are longer too.

7 seater cars XC90 ? - nellyjak

I personally love these big JDM MPV's, but in this case I'm not sure it would be a good choice. I guess it would depend on how often you are going to need more than 6 seats. At this price point, only 6 of the 7 or 8 seats would have 3 point seatbelts, the other 1 or 2 would be lap belts. Also, I'm not sure how many (if any) isofix points there would be.

I think you'll find they are well "isofixed"...on mine, only the centre lap belt on the rear bench isn't.

7 seater car - Brit_in_Germany

I would think that any of the standard MPVs would be too small with six seats in use. There simply won't be enough luggage capacity for the buggy etc. When our children were small we had Avensis Verso which was great as a five-seater but with the extra seats in place we could fit a collapsed double buggy but not much else. How about a VW bus/Multivan?

7 seater car - George Benjamin
Thanks for all the advice. A lot of suggestions for me to look at.
7 seater car - daveyK_UK
In response to an earlier post, if you don’t need all 7 seats in a combo life/Berlingo/Rifter by removing one of the 2nd row seats you have 6 and a huge boot area.

7 seater car - badbusdriver
In response to an earlier post, if you don’t need all 7 seats in a combo life/Berlingo/Rifter by removing one of the 2nd row seats you have 6 and a huge boot area.

Surely if you were going to remove a seat for extra boot space, you'd take it from the third row?.

But ignoring that, the OP has a particular interest in safety, so I'm not sure he'd be too keen on the rearmost passenger sitting beside whatever is being carried in the boot, and also thinking about where the boot contents will end up in the event of an accident.

7 seater car - pd

Galaxy would be my choice. Lots of space, reasonably reliable and well built, decent number about.

Note that for some reason all 7 seaters seem to have really shot up in price recently.

7 seater car - Adampr

Galaxy would be my choice. Lots of space, reasonably reliable and well built, decent number about.

Note that for some reason all 7 seaters seem to have really shot up in price recently.

If my workplace is anything to go by, everyone under 35 spent the entirety of lockdown making babies.