What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - RichT54

I noticed yesterday the fuel prices at my local Shell station were 173.9 and 184.9, but today they had gone up even higher to 175.9 and 186.9. It looks like the energy companies are trying to pass on the windfall tax to the consumers, rather than their share holders, what a surprise! (not).

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Ethan Edwards

Indeed. I thought so when Labour were promoting it that it was an awful idea. Still do.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 29/05/2022 at 12:09

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - sandy56

Just noted that those nice Iranians just hijacked a tanker in the Middle East. Watch out for fire works. The oil price could go much higher if the M.E. becomes unstable as the USA Navy carrier fleets have left.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Brit_in_Germany

Seized, rather than hijacked, I would say. They were responding to the Greeks taking one of theirs at the request of the US, with the oil being transferred and taken to the States.

No taking a vessel from international waters is termed piracy. They have committed an act of piracy.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Brit_in_Germany

Which bit of the straights of Hormuz are international waters?

Look at a map.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Engineer Andy

Just noted that those nice Iranians just hijacked a tanker in the Middle East. Watch out for fire works. The oil price could go much higher if the M.E. becomes unstable as the USA Navy carrier fleets have left.

I think the Iranians probably did it in relatiation for one of their miliary / political rivals (possibly the US or Israel) using drones to attack one of the nuke facilities.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - SLO76
Businesses don’t pay taxes, the consumer pays. All costs are passed onto the end user.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/05/2022 at 20:16

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Zippy123
Businesses don’t pay taxes, the consumer pays. All costs are passed onto the end user.

I think the same way about adverts, especially obviously expensive glossy ones - if you buy the product, you are paying for that gloss advert and would it have sold as well with a cheaper ad and therefore cheaper price?

Edited by Zippy123 on 30/05/2022 at 12:08

I think the same way about adverts, especially obviously expensive glossy ones - if you buy the product, you are paying for that gloss advert and would it have sold as well with a cheaper ad and therefore cheaper price?

That's why I never understand why so many firms concentrate on only giving new customers the best deals and utilising (expensive) ad campaigns, at the expense of decent customer service and either the same reasonable prices for everyone or, better still, discounts for long-time customers for their loyalty.

In the past, such brands rarely had to advertise because their (satisfied) customers did their job for them via word of mouth (and noew online reviews).

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - alan1302

You won't get far in business working like that...you want to get the cheaper ad to work as well as the expensive one and charge the higher price.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - craig-pd130

It's because the global price of crude is up around $120, when six weeks ago it had fallen back to around $105. At the same time, the pound has fallen 5 cents against the dollar since early April, so that pushes prices up further too.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Sparrow

The new windfall tax has been introduced to take attention away from partygate. Of course the oil companies won't pay it, we all will. It could well reduce investment in getting more oil and gas out if the ground. That will further drive up prices and reduce our energy security.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Andrew-T

The new windfall tax has been introduced to take attention away from partygate. Of course the oil companies won't pay it, we all will.

I think that may be a little cynical. Rishi's handouts go straight to consumers' power accounts, which may persuade them to spend to keep the economy ticking a bit. Meanwhile those companies pay (some of) it back to the govt. It just helps money to circulate.

The new windfall tax has been introduced to take attention away from partygate. Of course the oil companies won't pay it, we all will.

I think that may be a little cynical. Rishi's handouts go straight to consumers' power accounts, which may persuade them to spend to keep the economy ticking a bit. Meanwhile those companies pay (some of) it back to the govt. It just helps money to circulate.

The problem is every time it goes through the civil service bureaucracy, a decent amount of the money disappears, never to be seen again.

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Andrew-T

The problem is every time it goes through the civil service bureaucracy, a decent amount of the money disappears, never to be seen again.

Some reappears in the shape of expensive but unusable NHS data systems ....

Windfall tax just causing more fuel price rises? - Manatee

It seems unlikely that they could pass it on directly unless there is a cartel. A small effect perhaps. They will always charge more if they think they can make more money, with or without a windfall tax.

Windfall taxes are a can or worms. We already have tax structures that are calculated on profits so there should be no need for them. Retrospective taxes like this undermine confidence and the moral case against tax avoidance, and they can't apply to businesses outside the relevant jurisdictions.

On the other hand, governments everywhere struggle to collect taxes in what amounts to a competitive environment of low-tax havens like Ireland.

'Low taxes' is a con politicians use to manipulate voters. The job of government involves doing things for the citizens of the state, and a low-tax promoting government is basically saying we are going to do as little as possible for you. And as we know, because Marx got this bit right, the benefit always goes to the people with the most money.