What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - Catherine Morris

I changed to the more expensive E10 but am unsure if I am ' pouring my money' away & can fill up with E5

Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - galileo

I changed to the more expensive E10 but am unsure if I am ' pouring my money' away & can fill up with E5

I thought the E5 was the more expensive, the E10 has more alcohol content therefore not recommended for some older cars?

Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - bathtub tom

I'm currently using E5 exclusively and will continue to do so for the rest of the year, until I see if E10 causes problems for other people. My mileage plummeted during lockdown and I don't like the idea of ethanol sitting in my tank for long periods. The manufacturer of my car claims it's compatible with E10.

I used to give it a couple of tankfuls of 'premium' each year for the advantage of the additive pack

Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - Bolt

I'm currently using E5 exclusively and will continue to do so for the rest of the year, until I see if E10 causes problems for other people. My mileage plummeted during lockdown and I don't like the idea of ethanol sitting in my tank for long periods. The manufacturer of my car claims it's compatible with E10.

I used to give it a couple of tankfuls of 'premium' each year for the advantage of the additive pack

Honda state from 1996 all engines can use E10 so it will be able to use both E10 or E5 so no problem... I have the Civic 2008 1342cc and haven`t noticed any power or economy differences though I do around 300 miles a week now, if Tesco have not got any E10 I use the E5 apart from price there isn`t any difference imo.

Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - Andrew-T

I changed to the more expensive E10 but am unsure if I am ' pouring my money' away & can fill up with E5.

Yes, you have your numbers the wrong way round. E5 is the 'old premium' variety of petrol with 5% ethanol, which was recently increased to 10% (E10). That is now the 'cheaper' variety, suitable for all 21st-century petrol cars. Your Honda is a little older but is probably OK, but check with their website to make sure.

Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - Bolt

E10 Fuel Guide | All you Need to Know | Owners | Honda UK hth

Honda Civic 1 4i 1998 - Fuel type E5 or E10 - focussed

We've had E10 for years in France. The short answer is to avoid it, just use E5 for better mpg and less problems down the line.

E10 means that your petrol has been diluted by adding up to 10% of ethanol - that has no business being in your petrol.

Edited by focussed on 31/05/2022 at 23:23