What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - Speedbird 747

Just ordered one of these.

I hit a deer last year in misty conditions. Does this technology help prevent collisions with animals?

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - John F

Does this technology help prevent collisions with animals?

Probably only those proceeding fairly slowly on two legs. I can't see it being much help if a muntjac leaps out in front of a fast moving car.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - badbusdriver

It certainly should do with a deer as this is quite a big animal.

But, unless the deer you hit last year jumped on to the road right in front of you (in which case, it being misty was irrelevant), you were driving too fast for the conditions. In misty or foggy conditions, your speed should be dictated by how far you can see. I say this because I personally wouldn't rely on a system like this to allow me to drive faster in misty or foggy conditions that I would consider safe otherwise.

I had a look at Citroen's website, 'Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology' is not mentioned re the C5 X. Listing the technology features, 5 separate sections are given over to 'Highway Driver Assist' (this is given most prominence), 'Rear Cross Traffic Alert', 'Long-Range Blind Spot Monitoring', 'Top 360 Vision', and 'Proximity Keyless Entry And Start'. In a few lines of text under this, 'Collision Risk Alert' is mentioned as one of the features in addition to the above, but the wording suggests that it won't actually do anything other than warn you, i.e, you are still going to have to stop/brake/steer around whatever it might be.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - bathtub tom

I understand deer react to movement. As a car approaches at night, the headlamps create a moving shadow which the deer react to. If that reaction involves jumping out in front of you, then I doubt there's anything that can be done to avoid making venison.

Pedestrian/ cyclist avoidance is now an EU requirement on all new cars, like TPMS.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - Andrew-T

So in direct answer to your question - yes, it can help, but it doesn't prevent.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - Manatee

I'd like to know what research they have done on this. Proper human factors stuff, not test drivers on a hair trigger.

My observation of real people is that if they hear a warning beep or see a strange dashboard light they carry on as they are while pondering what it might be.

I know a couple of people who've had heavy collisions with deer in this area. I've had a couple of near misses myself. In neither case did I have time to react usefully. I wouldn't be surprised if the cars trigger the movement. I know of about four places where they commonly cross, and slow down there now just in case.

Even if these aids work, I worry that some drivers will pay less attention if they think the car is looking out for them.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - daveyjp

It will depend on time and distance to the obstruction, however having had the emergency brake assist activate 'in anger' on our Yaris the other week for the first time ever for me on any vehicle it does exactly what it says.

Driving on main road in a residential area a car emerged from a driveway which had high walls and didn't stop, so no warning. Car warning to stop activated and before I could hit the brakes the car had stopped. Without doubt it saved an expensive insurance claim.

Edited by daveyjp on 03/05/2022 at 15:11

Insurance companies should reduce insurance premiums for cars fitted with this technology.

Insurance companies should reduce insurance premiums for cars fitted with this technology.

They won't until they have collected enough data to calculate the degree of effectiveness.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - Warning

If someone is nearby, then I think it is possible such technogy saves lives. However, none of this technlogy is not going to stop wallies on electric scooters, jumping from the pavement onto traffic and causing people to avert.

Whilst, it may catch a nearby cyclist, but some cyclists are speed demons.When cars are waiting at a junction waiting for ligths to turn green. I haev seen some cyclist whizz at 25mph, but the driver who turns left at a green, can't see that ten cars back that a cyclist is whizzing so fast. most will not stop and assume it is a driver fault for not checking mirrors. No technlogy is going to be able to pick at up, until it is too late.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - sammy1

"""Driving on main road in a residential area a car emerged from a driveway which had high walls and didn't stop, so no warning. Car warning to stop activated and before I could hit the brakes the car had stopped. Without doubt it saved an expensive insurance claim."""

A good example no doubt in this instance. What about a situation where the emergency stop is needed but at the last seconds it is averted. An aware driver can judge the degree of braking needed and lift off but the ""intelligent system "" once activated is all stop? Not a fan myself and I would not like to be the driver behind such a vehicle but then the argument would be that one was driving too close. My argument would be that the human in front should have the same reaction time as the one behind and not be advantaged by having an ""intelligent " car. I have the same sought of annoyance with those using adaptive cruise control and the car ahead or may be 5 cars ahead is braking for no reason

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - catsdad

There are a few YouTube videos testing these systems on the VW Golf. Regrettably several cardboard boxes meet an untimely end. It seems to need a substantial (metal?) object to react to. Weren’t early versions so sensitive that a blowing crisp packet could set them off?

My Golf has never applied the brakes automatically but occasionally I get a warning light that suggests it’s detected a possible need then cancelled the action. Usually it’s on a particular stretch of local road when there were no cars around and no apparent hazard. It’s probably reacting to a stationary road sign that it thinks may be suicidal.

Insurance companies saved a fortune in claims during the lockdown and boosted their profits. Did anyone receive a rebate for lack of use during this time? My insurance company in France, AXA, refunded me 30% of my premium.

With all this technology on cars, there should be a benefit if accidents and claims are reduced. This should be reflected in premiums.

Insurance companies saved a fortune in claims during the lockdown and boosted their profits. Did anyone receive a rebate for lack of use during this time? My insurance company in France, AXA, refunded me 30% of my premium.

Did you ask them to, or was in unsolicited ? Would you feel the same if you had been prevented from driving for a few months because of other personal reasons ? I wouldn't, but I suppose some might be brazen enough. Companies hope to make a profit, so do you expect them to share that with policyholders and just break even ? Perhaps they should stay in business so that payouts are available when called for.

It may be 'reflected' in next year's premium, but you probably won't be able to tell. You can usually talk down your renewal premium if you call them.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - alan1302

With all this technology on cars, there should be a benefit if accidents and claims are reduced. This should be reflected in premiums.

I know people on the Motability scheme have received an insurance rebate during the pandemic.

There may be less accidents but all the tech costs more to fix so probably balances itself out cost wise...that's if there are less accidents now...see plenty about and there does seem to be more poor driving.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - Cris_on_the_gas

Agree if you hit the deer in misty conditions you were not driving at a safe speed where you could stop safely in the distance you can see.

However your question was based primarily around if technology would have helped and I think the answer is yes.

Collision avoidance relies on 2 basic technologies, LIDAR (Laser Detection and Ranging) and RADAR (Radio Detection and Ranging) both of which can penetrate fog and mist.

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - primus 1

My car has pedestrian/ collision avoidance, I just can’t get the mrs to stand in front of the car so I can test it….

Citroen C5x - Pedestrian/Cyclist avoidance technology - edlithgow

All my cars have had pedestrian/cyclist avoidance technology, usually the more advanced rack and pinion system, though my Lada had the older recirculating ball box type.

Never had any trouble penetrating fog and mist, but the older system on the Lada was unable to fully penetrate a Ford Fiesta which pulled out in front of me, though it had a pretty good try.