What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - Mmarsh1972

Hi Folks

I need a suggestion for a bike rack for 2 Bikes (one adult, one child) for a Honda Jazz.

I tried a THULE CLIP on style and all it did was bend the chassis. The Jazz, rounded tailgate is a poor surface for a clip on style.

My Car has nothing, no tow bar and nor roof bars. So I would need to get them installed.

And no Interior storage is not an option owing I need the space for a child sea and luggage.

So what is my best option? I know I need a new car, thats going to be later.

Does it make sense to get installed a tow bar or roof bars? which is best

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - Alby Back
Roof mounted bars and racks. Upsides, cheaper, easy diy fit, you can leave them permanently in place on the car. Downsides, when loaded they affect mpg.

Tow bar mounted racks. Upsides, better fuel economy and no worries about height restrictions. Downsides, expensive and require a tow bar which is also expensive and needs pro fitting. Not practical to leave permanently in place.

A set of quality roof bars and racks should be doable for well under £500. A tow bar and tow bar mounted rack will require at least £1000.

Thule kit is pretty good. I use my roof mounted racks at least three times a week and I’ve had the same set for more than 12 years transferred from car to car.

You should be able to get “feet” to mount roof bars.

Edited by Alby Back on 29/04/2022 at 00:05

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

Doesn't seem much point going to the expense of having a towbar fitted if you plan on changing the car not too far in the future.

But just to be clear, fitting roof bars will affect the MPG whether loaded or not. How much it is affected is obviously going to be determined by how fast you drive. But also, on a smaller and lighter car, the difference will be more so than a bigger heavier car.

I'd guess if carrying bikes on the roof, you'd be very aware of them in a crosswind, again, more so on a smaller lighter (and taller, in the case of the Jazz) car.

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - Mmarsh1972

Thanks to both of you

Two things, the higher fuel consumption is not a major problem. I don't drive that much, so will only need the rack occasionally to go on holidays. This is not going to regular occurrence. So if I get slightly less gas mileage its not a big deal.

Secondly, I neglected to mention my Jazz does have the panoramic roof will this effect my choice.

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - Dag Hammar

On my previous car I had a towbar professionally fitted and I used a towball mounted bike rack that carried two bikes.

This worked very well for me. Benefits were that I locked a hitchlock on the bike rack at the towball point when I took the bikes off to ride away and I could enjoy my bike rides knowing that the rack attached to the towball was fairly safe from theft.

Also, loading adult bikes onto a rack at knee height is a damn sight easier than lifting bikes onto a roof mounted contraption and I never had to concern myself with height barriers at car parks.

Finally, if on a lengthy journey and you want to take a break, leave the hitchlock on so the rack cannot be taken and secure the bikes to the sturdy bike rack by the use of a good ‘D’ lock and/or a stout cable and a top quality padlock.

Of course, the downside of a towball mounted bike rack is their size and having somewhere to store it when not in use.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 29/04/2022 at 16:14

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - bathtub tom

Of course, the downside of a towball mounted bike rack is their size and having somewhere to store it when not in use.

Also the probable need for a light bar and number plate carrier. I recall a trip down the M3 where the police were obviously having a purge on this and making folk take the bikes off the back of the car if they were obscuring the number plate and/or taillights.

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

Thanks to both of you

Two things, the higher fuel consumption is not a major problem. I don't drive that much, so will only need the rack occasionally to go on holidays. This is not going to regular occurrence. So if I get slightly less gas mileage its not a big deal.

Secondly, I neglected to mention my Jazz does have the panoramic roof will this effect my choice.

Not 100% certain without looking into it, but as long as your Jazz has the two plastic or alloy trim rails either side of the roof (and it certainly looks like it from pics I've seen), it shouldn't make any difference that you have the panoramic roof. There should be two sliding or removable sections either side on these rails which is where the brackets would mount.

Re a tailgate mount, there are certainly ones available which are listed as fitting your Jazz (183996044236) If you look at pictures of them, they have thick rubber or foam sections at either side of the upper and lower cross bars. These (I think) are mainly to protect the paintwork, but would also have the effect of allowing them to be fitted on a curved tailgate. The picture for the above rack shows one fitted to a Citroen Saxo, the tailgate on these are at least as curved as your Jazz. I have to point out, I don't know anything about them otherwise, such as whether they are fit for purpose!.

Honda Jazz - Bike Rack for a 2012 Honda Jazz - Alby Back
Roof mounted racks or tow bar mounted ones are very secure. Pays yer money, takes yer choice on those really. The clip or strap on tailgate mounted types are just not good. Can easily work loose, damage paint at best or become dangerously detached at worst.