What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes - Car Brokers - Falkirk Bairn

Just received the monthly mailing from a Car Broker showing the discounts available on mainly German or more correctly German owned brands.

12/18 months ago £30K+ would have bought a nice 1.8 /2 litre car from a variety of Brands -

Today the choices seem to be VAG, MB and the odd Ford. Few cars under £30K and prices heading towards the "Luxury car RFL giving you the opportunity to pay £500/year instead of the "normal new car RFL" of around £160.

The average VW Sale Price in the UK has been going up from £24K to £30K in the last 18 months according to an article I read just last week.

When can the "man in the street" hope to buy a new car with car inflation seemingly out of control whether than be new or 2nd hand?

VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes - Car Brokers - Electric Leaper

The fact that most new car buyers don't pay cash, means that the list price is irrelevant - it's all about the monthly costs. Manufacturers pull levers like offering a deposit contribution or free servicing to pull in the punters.

I also got that brokers email this morning and many of the headline prices include deposit contribution if PCP is taken. A much lower discount is available if funding outright.

VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes - Car Brokers - RT

The fact that most new car buyers don't pay cash, means that the list price is irrelevant - it's all about the monthly costs. Manufacturers pull levers like offering a deposit contribution or free servicing to pull in the punters.

I also got that brokers email this morning and many of the headline prices include deposit contribution if PCP is taken. A much lower discount is available if funding outright.

List price isn't irrelevant - it affects the VED rate as well as BIK tax.

VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes - Car Brokers - Terry W

BIK does not affect private buyers - only business.

IManufacturers have had component shortages, supply chain constraints, reduced output over the last two years. It is now a sellers market - they want a profit and will set prices accordingly. Lease costs have also increased.

However if buying outright, when later traded in the s/h price could also be higher than pre Covid - but only assuming current market conditions prevail.

Personally I would not buy a new car outright at the top of the market. If I was unable to defer, I would lease.

It may cost an extra £50-100 per month over that which I would have paid pre-covid, but would avoid the risk associated with the s/h market returning to normal triggering a loss which could be £5000+.

VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes - Car Brokers - RT

BIK does not affect private buyers - only business..

That's over 50% of the market for new cars.