What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Accesories Market - sammy1

It occurred to me with the increasing market in bland looking EVs how is the trade in alloy wheels superchips suspension mods, go faster stripes and the like going to stay in existence? Must be an ever decreasing market for all usual markets exhausts cats etc

Accesories Market - Xileno

The chips won't be relevant but the other items you mention could be? It's an interesting subject though, in addition there will be impacts on businesses that manufacture spark plugs, glow plugs, oil filters etc infact anything unique to ICE. Maybe as one part of the economy contracts, another will expand, rather like squeezing a balloon.

Accesories Market - sammy1

Sorry for superchips I might have said remaps, a company called Superchips is prominent in my area. Cost of such a remap can be £300-600.

Accesories Market - Terry W

No real surprise that ICE specific kit will slowly die - probably replaced by that specific to EV as already noted. That clutches, camshafts, spark plugs, exhausts etc will no longer need replacement will be a blessing.

EVs have ECUs which no doubt adjust responsiveness, power management (performance/economy) braking regen, steering feedback etc so this will continue.

The rest of the kit - wheels, tinted windows, go-faster stripes, etc may still continue. I do wonder why people bother as manufacturers spend £££m on optimising their product only for some to later (mostly) degrade it.

Accesories Market - Engineer Andy

I suspect that new generation cars will eventually be very customisable by changing the bodyshell and/or the interior but leaving all the mech/elec underpinnings or vice-versa. Rather like PCs.

Probably 20-30 years away depending on developments. At the moment developments are still in the mode of improving battery life, handling and size / weight-saving given most EV ranges are very new.