What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric tests? - jchinuk
There is a question on the Ask HJ page "Will the manual driving test be phased out with the switch to electric cars?"

While not a scientific study, at least one driving school (a husband & wife outfit) in my area (East London) have stopped offering 'manual' lessons on anticipation. Personally, I'm not sure of the advantage, most learners this year will end-up in a Fiesta/Nova/Yaris/Aygo for a few years, so requiring an auto will just bump up the price of suitable cars and depress the manual market.

That said, on local community forums and Facebook groups, there are often posts looking for "driving tuition in an automatic", so it appears there is a market to be served.

I confess I've never driven an automatic, indeed I've rarely been a passenger in one, so perhaps I'll need lessons too!
Electric tests? - Xileno

The driving school must know their market but I would think they're a bit ahead of the game. Maybe in London automatics are more popular due to all the traffic. What happens of someone wants to hire a van to move stuff - most I've seen are manuals.

Electric tests? - Terry W

In the past most cars were manual as (a) in the UK auto was a costly option, (b) they reduced performance, and (c) reduced mpg.

As the 2030 ban on ICE approaches, the need for a manual licence will fall rapidly. Anyone now taking their test will probably find it easier to master an auto with very limited reasons to go manual. Hire vehicles (small vans and cars) will simply go EV/auto.

It is not possible to use an auto to provide manual lessons (or vice versa). Larger driving schools will change their "fleet" over the next few years to balance manual and auto vehicles.

Small driving schools need to decide which to go for - running auto and manual vehicles would be costly. . Auto is the obvious choice - it is the future - manuals are a dead end.

Electric tests? - Engineer Andy

In the past most cars were manual as (a) in the UK auto was a costly option, (b) they reduced performance, and (c) reduced mpg.

As the 2030 ban on ICE approaches, the need for a manual licence will fall rapidly. Anyone now taking their test will probably find it easier to master an auto with very limited reasons to go manual. Hire vehicles (small vans and cars) will simply go EV/auto.

It is not possible to use an auto to provide manual lessons (or vice versa). Larger driving schools will change their "fleet" over the next few years to balance manual and auto vehicles.

Small driving schools need to decide which to go for - running auto and manual vehicles would be costly. . Auto is the obvious choice - it is the future - manuals are a dead end.

The difference is that it's far easier to learn on a manual then change later in life (or whenever) to an auto or pure EV than the other way around, which for the next 20-30+ years won't be an option for the vast majority of young drivers, because they won't be able to afford and EV.

Besides, you are not legally allowed to drive a manual with an auto licence, whereas you can the other way around. And as others have said, vans will likely still be ICE and manual for longer, meaning they wouldn't be able to hire self-drive for moving home, etc.

I would reiterate that the 2030 'ban' is not on anything other than new cars. ICE cars will likely be around (and in the majority on the road) for some time afterwards. That's if the 'ban' does even go ahead.

Electric tests? - Terry W

I agree it is easier to learn on a manual at an early age, even if later one transfers to auto.

But by 2030 all new cars sold are likely to be autos. By 2040 there will be no need ever to drive a manual - EV will be standard fare for personal transport, those who choose a 10+ year old manual will be the exception or oldies with an existing licence (most drivers).

There are 39m people with driving licences in the UK, of which ~1m are auto only. Approx. 700k pass their test each year (pre-Covid) Increasingly younger folk yet to take a test will never need to drive a manual and most will never want to.

New cars are typically sold on lease or PCP. S/H EVs will find a market price affordable to most as sales increase and the market develops.

Electric tests? - focussed

As a one man band driving school/instructor I used to run two cars - a used Nissan K11 1.0 auto and a newish FN3 Honda Civic diesel manual. I ran the auto car for three years before retiring to France.

Electric tests? - sammy1

If they have a full book of lessons then fine for them and they probably have only one car as well. They have misjudged the market for a large majority of new drivers taking to the roads. Price of cars, insurance, repairs etc and somewhere to park are enough to put a lot of people off driving all together especially in cities. May be the new 7 series BMW starting at £110k will be affordable to one or two.

Electric tests? - alan1302

They have misjudged the market for a large majority of new drivers taking to the roads.

They aren't trying to judge the market though, they are doing what is best for their business.

Not sure what a £110k BMW has about any of this though?

Electric tests? - barney100

Shouldn't need lessons for an auto, really so simple.

Electric tests? - bathtub tom

Could it be because most new cars are now EV or hybrid. How long will it be before you won't be able to purchase a small petrol engined car?

Electric tests? - sammy1

There is a lot more too it than pressing the go pedal! There are other people on the roads

Electric tests? - focussed

The automatic driving test is exactly the same as the manual driving test and just as easy to fail.

Electric tests? - Bolt

The automatic driving test is exactly the same as the manual driving test and just as easy to fail.

Just you only use one foot for two pedals and no gear change which was a problem in co-ordination for some people, at least a friend of mine had that problem and couldn`t get used to pressing the clutch pedal and putting into/changing gear at the same time, so passed on an auto, which a lot did for the same reason that I know of..