What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - Ian Etherton

My mum has an original model Honda Jazz that she doesn't use very much but doesn't want to get rid of it and give up her independence.

As its not used very often, it often requires jump starting when she wants to go out. To get over this i want to fit a solar powered maintenance charger through the cigarette lighter but for this to be effective the lighter needs to remain live even with the ignition switched off.

Does anyone know how I can check if it remains live? Or better still, does anyone know if this model does have a permanently live 12v connection?

Many thanks.

Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - elekie&a/c doctor
Buy the solar panel and plug it into the power socket . If it works with the ignition key out of the lock , then you have no problem. If the ignition needs to be on to operate, then the socket will need to be rewired to a permanent power source . Not a difficult job .
Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - Big John

Does anyone know how I can check if it remains live? Or better still, does anyone know if this model does have a permanently live 12v connection?

I think Honda cars have sockets that go off with the ignition - but just plug something into the socket such as phone/satnav charger to test.

How old is the battery? - it might be past it's best

Edited by Big John on 17/04/2022 at 14:49

Thanks, I'll try and find something to plug in.

Battery was replaced last year as the previous one just couldn't take any more recharges after going flat so much.

Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - John F

Thanks, I'll try and find something to plug in.

Has she lost the cigarette lighter?

Good thinking Batman!!

Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve just looked up a wiring diagram for the US Jazz/Fit , and it would appear to be on accessory circuit from ignition switch. So I think it’s going to need re wiring to a permanent power source.
Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - Andrew-T

Not directly relevant, but the lighter in my 2008 Peugeot is only live with the ignition turned on, so I would guess most 21st-century cars may be similar. The 1994 car has a live socket [ I know because I use an electric tyre pump ]

I'll check it out by trying to use the cigarette lighter with the ignition off when I'm next there.

Thanks all for your help.

Honda Jazz - Battery Maintenance - madf

I'll check it out by trying to use the cigarette lighter with the ignition off when I'm next there.

Thanks all for your help.

Willnot,

Wired through ignition switch