What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Blackwall tunnel - FoxyJukebox
First time in many years that I attempted this truly dreadful crossing in such a grim location .An hour to move 2 miles. Never again ever. Avoid avoid avoid.
God help anyone obliged to use this living hell on a regular basis.
Blackwall tunnel - bathtub tom

Have you tried the Woolwich ferry? It's free and I once enjoyed the experience after years of using the Dartford crossing and the Blackwall tunnel.

Blackwall tunnel - Metropolis.
Sadly, it is usually on strike and when it is not, it is closed!
Blackwall tunnel - edlithgow

Have you tried the Woolwich ferry? It's free and I once enjoyed the experience after years of using the Dartford crossing and the Blackwall tunnel.

One of my standard "Undiscovered London" excursions, free river "cruise" stylee, when I'm being an amateur guide

Watch the planes doing STOL at City Airport

There is (or was) also a rather spooky pedestrian tunnel under the river there, counterpart of the one at Greenwich, but much less used.

Blackwall tunnel - Mr D Og

One of my standard "Undiscovered London" excursions, free river "cruise" stylee, when I'm being an amateur guide

Watch the planes doing STOL at City Airport

There is (or was) also a rather spooky pedestrian tunnel under the river there, counterpart of the one at Greenwich, but much less used.

Your reference to the Woolwich Ferry brought back forgotten fond memories. More than 65 years ago I and a couple of schoolmates used to ride our bicycles for a fun ride from Ilford to Woolwich. We usually used the spooky pedestrian tunnel and returned on the free ferry. Looking at the map it was a journey of about 7 miles each way. With the volume of traffic I wouldn't fancy doing it nowadays!

Blackwall tunnel - alan1302
First time in many years that I attempted this truly dreadful crossing in such a grim location .An hour to move 2 miles. Never again ever. Avoid avoid avoid. God help anyone obliged to use this living hell on a regular basis.

Have been through it once and all was fine.

Blackwall tunnel - kiss (keep it simple)

We use this crossing on occasions to visit relatives. It is vital to check traffic reports regularly, once there is a problem it seldom recovers.

Blackwall tunnel - Bolt
First time in many years that I attempted this truly dreadful crossing in such a grim location .An hour to move 2 miles. Never again ever. Avoid avoid avoid. God help anyone obliged to use this living hell on a regular basis.

Have been through it once and all was fine.

I used to use it every day and was always unpredictable but just as bad as trying the bridges which get as conjested, though its typical London jams everywhere

Very rare to get a clear run unless your lucky !

Blackwall tunnel - _

We have to go to Ealing when we go to the Dentist,

Anything inside the North Circular is a no no for me.

From Colchester it's A12-M25 to J23 or 21a, depending on traffic, down to Brent Cross and past hangar lane to Ealing Common. Worst bit is Hanger lane.

Blackwall tunnel - Warning

> An hour to move 2 miles

The tunnel is a bottle neck. It is down to poor road planning. They could reduce pressure on Blackwall Tunnel if the Dartford Crossing was free. The cost is £2.

A river crossing anywhere else does not work.

When I was young in my dad's car. I remember the radio signal would go dead due to being in a tunnel. However, I am intrigued, as to how I can get a radio signal inside the tunnel. I don't now if they put in technologies or if they

Blackwall tunnel - Bolt

The tunnel is a bottle neck. It is down to poor road planning. They could reduce pressure on Blackwall Tunnel if the Dartford Crossing was free. The cost is £2.

Its down to the traffic when it was built, there wasn`t the traffic then to worry about and who wants to go all the way round the M25 to east London?, thats why Black wall tunnel is used as much as it is, some live either side of the River and don`t want to travel all the way round

as for radio signal you can get a signal up to I think the air vents in the tunnel and in between you lose it, many comments about that over the years, but not been through it for a few years so its possible they may have installed signal boosters in that time, though its doubtful ?, someone else may know better ?

But yes it is a bottle neck, and often isn`t helped by i****s speeding through it and cutting people up because they almost missed the first exit and some crashing!

Blackwall tunnel - Mr D Og

The references to the Woolwich Ferry brought back forgotten fond memories. More than 65 years ago I and a couple of schoolmates used to ride our bicycles for a fun ride from Ilford to Woolwich. We usually used the spooky pedestrian tunnel and returned on the free ferry. Looking at the map it was a journey of about 7 miles each way. With the volume of traffic I wouldn't fancy doing it nowadays!

Blackwall tunnel - Palcouk

In my youth I lived in Bexleyheath and went to a college in Poplar, by bus and used the ferry or woolwich tunnel. Subsequently I ran a Business primarily in central London which involved much car use. Seeing the writing on the wall I sold my Bus prior to congestion charging.

Where I live there is a local shopping center in the town center with a dual carriageway round it. TFL/The Council changed one lane to a bicycle lane, at great cost to the taxpayers, resulting naturally in congestion. In 10+ years I've never seen a bike use the lane.

Currently, being retired I try to avoid driving anywhere within the M25

Edited by Palcouk on 17/04/2022 at 07:57

Blackwall tunnel - Andrew-T

Currently, being retired I try to avoid driving anywhere within the M25

A bit off topic, but having been at school not far north of London, when looking to return from Canada to the UK in the mid-60s I said I would not settle within 50 miles of London because of growing congestion. It's a decision I never regretted, having settled in Cheshire, and by about 1990 I remember saying I would raise the threshold to 100 miles.

Congestion can be triggered very easily these days. Just last week I drove about 4 miles to get a Covid booster, noting that several roads were backed up solid in the opposite direction because the M56 was reduced to one lane for 'emergency repairs'. The return journey took an hour and three quarters, so in my younger days it would have been quicker to walk.

Blackwall tunnel - mcb100
I only recently discovered that the (intentional) round opening in the roof of what I still call the Millenium Dome is for a vent for the Blackwall Tunnel, which passes directly underneath.
Blackwall tunnel - Brit_in_Germany

And having looked at the satellite image, I now know what the mini cooling tower next to the DLR is. Thanks.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 17/04/2022 at 20:00

Blackwall tunnel - Xileno

I wish those involved would get on and fix Hammersmith bridge. I was driving that way yesterday and had to go through Barnes. Surely an embarrassment that this is taking so long?

Blackwall tunnel - Smileyman

I wish those involved would get on and fix Hammersmith bridge. I was driving that way yesterday and had to go through Barnes. Surely an embarrassment that this is taking so long?

Or intentional to keep as many motorists away as possible?

Blackwall tunnel - Bolt

Or intentional to keep as many motorists away as possible?

Apparently the government will only put a third of repair costs to it, the council has to find the rest, though it has opened up to peds and cyclists

I could have used it last weekend but not open to vehicles so I drove round M25 instead as London is too congested now for my liking...doesn`t do the fuel consumption any good either

When I first met my wife (and lived in London) I told her I was going to take her over water. She thought perhaps a day trip to France or Belgium, but why hadn't I asked her to bring her passport?

The Woolwich ferry was a bit of a surprise, but I'd kept my word! She had no idea about it. We did the Belgium day trip a few months later when the weather was nicer.

The problem with the ferry is it is not so easy to reach, the roads are really only suitable for locals, last time I used it my journey time was much longer than usual. Nice trip, but much slower.

I used to use the Blackwall Tunnel often, now I avoid it as much as possible, apart from the traffic congestion some of the approach roads are not up to it, and with stupidly slow speed restrictions / cameras too.

The other alternative is the M25 at Dartford. Last Friday it was a dream, I was shocked, no congestion at all northbound. Longer term congestion will remain at least until the Lower Thames Crossing has opened, the way this is progressing it will be after my lifetime, the usual snail's pace for progress.

Edited by Smileyman on 20/04/2022 at 22:44

Blackwall tunnel - Warning

They have additional river crossing planned.

Thames Gateway Bridge was cancelled, as was too close to the perimeter of aircraft landing at London City Airport. The intention was to replace the Woolwich Ferry. However, whilst the roads on the North side are well developed with the the A13 and North Circular.

You have 2/3 lanes of road traffic, but once it reaches on the South side of the river. You end up with a bottle neck with traffic concentrating to a single lane of traffic.

. The North Circular does not connect to the South Circular.

They have another proposed river crossing, which is the Silver Link Tunnel. On the south side, there are 3 lanes of roads and well developed, but once on the North side of the river, you will have a single lane in the Royal Docks. It will be a rat run to catch the A13/North Circular.

Blackwall tunnel - Terry W

No great surprise the Blackwall Tunnel fails to meet aspirations.

The first was opened in 1897 when Horsh was the principal problem. It is curved as apparently the horse would tend to bolt if they saw a spot of light in the distance.

The second tunnel to take southbound traffic was opened in 1967.

Blackwall tunnel - Bolt

No great surprise the Blackwall Tunnel fails to meet aspirations.

The first was opened in 1897 when Horsh was the principal problem. It is curved as apparently the horse would tend to bolt if they saw a spot of light in the distance.

The second tunnel to take southbound traffic was opened in 1967.

the horse was the afterthought rather than the cause of the curves, as the Tunnel had to be lined up during building with Northumberland wharf on the north side and Ordnance wharf to the south to avoid a sewer, someone came up with the horse bolting as a good excuse to help make the curves

Based on the current thinking of those who set speed limits probably a rat run with a 20 mph speed limit and cameras to raise revenue to pay for it all.

No wonder the UK is such a mess, takes a lifetime to build a road & tunnel at a cost only the highly over taxed taxpayer can afford. Polite language prevents the appropriate next sentence.

Blackwall tunnel - alan1302

No wonder the UK is such a mess, takes a lifetime to build a road & tunnel at a cost only the highly over taxed taxpayer can afford. Polite language prevents the appropriate next sentence.

Although here in the UK we are taxed lower than many European countries...maybe we need to pay more tax to get better infrastructure in the UK?

Blackwall tunnel - Ethan Edwards

Several years ago I bought a 125cc Scooter 'Sarf of the River'. So had to ride it back home to Efficks. Took the Blackwall. If you hate driving through that tunnel in a car, it's a whole different ballgame on a scooter. Fumes etc no fun wearing a full face helmet. Much later took my newly acquired old Honda ST1100 home after buying it in Kent, through Dartford Tunnel. Not nearly as claustrophobic or smelly. I ought to mention that two wheeled fun is addictive. You may start small but go big or go home you'll end up with a big bike. I'm going cold turkey on the bikes these days...

Blackwall tunnel - _

I do miss my triumpb T160

Blackwall tunnel - Crickleymal

I miss my bikes too. I remember, before I took the test, riding a CG125 from Gloucester to Liverpool and having to go via one of the Mersey tunnels. That was a weird experience.