What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - martin.mc

Duster 1.3 petrol turbo, mileage just under 12000. Due for first service in a few weeks and main dealer tried to get me to spend an extra £27 having the engine flushed as part of the oil change. Is this necessary on a one year old car, or just another money maker for the dealer?

Edited by martin.mc on 06/04/2022 at 23:18

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Rerepo

Money maker...

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - edlithgow

Money maker...

Almost certainly, but we are not in a position to know if your engine looked sludgy or was varnished

You, OTOH, are...

I've had good results using a heavy duty oil (Mobil DELVAC 15W40 mixed with a Group 1? SAE40) for varnish removal, but that is unlikely to be approved for a new car.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - catsdad

The indie I use did an engine flush for the cost of the product when he serviced our 2012 Mazda 3. The labour charge for the service is the same whether you have the flush or not. However I am inclined to ask him not to do it in future having read mostly negative comments in the practice here and elsewhere.

I am a bit conflicted because I do believe in the benefit of cleaning additives in petrol so why should I be wary of them in an oil treatment? Different chemicals no doubt but still a bit inconsistent on my part.

They haven't done the service yet. I'm inclined to think it's a money maker. I doubt that the engine will be sludged up after 12000 miles from new. The person trying to sell me this was a female receptionist.

Edited by martin.mc on 07/04/2022 at 06:53

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Bolt

They haven't done the service yet. I'm inclined to think it's a money maker. I doubt that the engine will be sludged up after 12000 miles from new. The person trying to sell me this was a female receptionist.

in my opinion it is a bad idea unless the engine really needs it, which is doubtful on a new engine and would give it a miss as a certain amount of chemicals are left behind in the nooks and crannies of the engine, this will not do the new oil any good and could cause unnecessary extra wear on the engine as the chemicals will affect the new oil

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - _

in my opinion it is a bad idea unless the engine really needs it, which is doubtful on a new engine and would give it a miss as a certain amount of chemicals are left behind in the nooks and crannies of the engine, this will not do the new oil any good and could cause unnecessary extra wear on the engine as the chemicals will affect the new oil

Totally agree, just a moneymaker.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Andrew-T

They haven't done the service yet. I'm inclined to think it's a money maker. I doubt that the engine will be sludged up after 12000 miles from new.

There should be a performance reason for an engine flush, so ask what it is. I suspect the lady receptionist is under orders always to offer such 'benefits' as a small profit-maker. Some older cars (and owners) might fall for it.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Engineer Andy

Sounds rather like the checkout people at my local Icerland trying to sell me sweets and cakes when I pay for the rest of my shopping.

For a car that new, I can't see any benefit, and as other have said, there's good reason why the practice which seemed to gain popularity in the late 90s fell by the wayside in the 2000s - because the practice appeared to dislodge deposits in older cars but not get rid of them, leaving them to gum up something far more important.

Keeping an eye on the condition of the engine oil and changing it either by condition or by age/mileage (whichever results in the soonest change) should always be followed, as should the manufacturer's recommended oil type.

If something (other than extra oil changes) is done that isn't recommended, it could invalidate the warranty if something goes awry later on. I'd also suspect that the main dealer won't include this 'extra' as part of the service Ts & Cs wise - rather it'll be 'the owner's decision' as to whether to accept it and the dealer takes no responsibility for blah, blah, blah consequences' in the small print.

I'm presuming that the previous (old) reason why cars had an 'early' oil change at (say) 1000 miles after new has disappeared due to the use of semi and fully synthetic engine oils and better quality manufacturing techniques that don't leave (anywhere near as much) swarf etc in engines after they are built/assembled.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - FoxyJukebox
Assume vehicle is still under guarantee?…if so, just have it done.
Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - elekie&a/c doctor
If this engine uses a wet belt camshaft drive system, then you certainly do not want an engine oil flush.
Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - focussed
If this engine uses a wet belt camshaft drive system, then you certainly do not want an engine oil flush.

The Renault HR13DDT 1.3 has a timing chain.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Bolt
Assume vehicle is still under guarantee?…if so, just have it done.

Don`t know about Dacia but most tell you warranty is void if chemicals outside of there recommendations is used and advise not to use them.

its doubtful any sludge would have built up in the engine in that time, unless its not been used very often and extremely low miles and never reached full operating temp which is not good for any engine

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - John F

.....main dealer tried to get me to spend an extra £27 having the engine flushed as part of the oil change. Is this necessary on a one year old car,

No. Tell your dealer it is not a toilet. It is not necessary for a car of any age if it has had oil changes at the recommended mileage intervals.

.... just another money maker for the dealer?

Delete the question mark.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - bathtub tom

In my experience, they'll probably charge you for a new battery for your key fob and windscreen washer fluid (mine had been topped up the night before).

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Engineer Andy

In my experience, they'll probably charge you for a new battery for your key fob and windscreen washer fluid (mine had been topped up the night before).

Indeed - a good dealer will go a reasonable way to ensure their clients don't pay for uneeded work and to keep / enhance their goodwill (including telling others) will go that extra mile by providing services like fob battery replacment FOC.

Mine always leave any remainder of screen wash in the bottle they use in the car for me to take home (the cost is part of the service anyway).

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - nick62

........ main dealer tried to get me to spend an extra £27 having the engine flushed....

You say it was only the cost of the product (no additional labour charge), but I'd bet my life the dealer's cost of the "snake oil" is no more than a tenner and maybe significantly less?

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Crickleymal

There's often a service schedule in your manuals, does it say in there whether a flush is required? Or does your manual say anything about having the engine flushed after running in?

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - catsdad

Nick you may be referring to my post rather than the OP’s? My indie uses STP flush and charges £5.70 plus VAT for the fluid. Labour for a service is £75 + VAT whether flushed or not. I could buy STP myself for about £4 but its hardly a money making scam by my indie if he makes a couple of quid on the product.

He has also changed bulbs and fob batteries (on request) for only a little over the cost of sourcing them myself. Again he needs to earn a living.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Warning

Some years ago, I went to the main dealer. I asked for a flush. He said it has damaged things into the engine. He suggested running instead flushing, to fill with clean oil and then refil the engine.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - SLO76
Unnecessary
Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - Metropolis.
Money maker. Not necessary, unless it has somehow found its way onto the official service schedule, but I doubt it.

Its a funny old product. On clogged up old engines that need a flush, typical wisdom is dont use it, something will come loose and block an oil way, starving the engine of oil. On engines that are not clogged, it is not needed full stop. I can see an argument of it being preventative of clogging, similar situation to changing atf fluid before it is actually needed, because when it is needed, it is by then a risky proposition.

If you are just looking to run the car and dont plan on putting a camera into the engine on your weekends, don’t bother with the flush.

Thanks for your comments. I will tell them don't want it doing.

Dacia Duster - Is an engine flush beneficial? - thunderbird

With modern oils with detergents in them together with modern petrol's you just do not get the sludge forming like you did years ago.

Our Focus manuals clearly said do not use any additives and I have not been asked fi I want engine flush adding for over 40 years (refused then as well).

If you are concerned simply change the oil more frequently.