What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-Z - Alternative to Honda CR-Z - GraF

I know the CRZ is not really a sports hatch but any recommendations for a 2+2 stylish coupe under £10k?

Honda CR-Z - Alternative to Honda CR-Z - badbusdriver

I know the CRZ is not really a sports hatch but any recommendations for a 2+2 stylish coupe under £10k?

Don't understand the question.

It is a very short question but it appears you want a stylish 2+2 coupe, but are writing off the CRZ because it isn't a sports hatch.

So my first question is, do you want a sports hatch or a coupe (if you consider them to be the same thing, why confuse the matter by using both terms?)?.

Why do you consider the CRZ not to be a sports hatch?. I ask because to me the terms sports hatch and coupe refer to how a car looks and nothing else (i.e, power/performance). So while the CRZ is not hugely fast or powerful (though surely 0-60 in 9.4 seconds and a top speed north of 120 mph is fast enough?), that does not change the fact of it being a very striking looking car.

So for me (assuming the very restricted rear seat space was enough for my needs) the CRZ would definitely be in with a shout. In fact if I didn't need rear seats at all, so would its spiritual predecessor, the first gen Honda Insight. This, IMO, is an amazing looking car, like a tiny space ship!.

Sorry I gave the wrong impression.. my wife loves the CR-Z and it is certainly fast enough I was simply asking if there are any alternatives I should consider as a 2+2 coupe for that money with similar style etc

cheers

Edited by GraF on 07/04/2022 at 09:51

If your wife loves the CRZ because of its looks, compact size, and efficiency, there isn't really a lot of alternative choices.

If it just the looks, there are so many other choices you'd need to narrow things down a bit. Would she be happy with a bigger car, more power, less mpg, etc?. Would she be swayed by particular badges?. Does it have to have rear seats? (I ask, because those in the CRZ are borderline unusable for an adult).

As I said earlier, there isn't really anything I can think of directly comparable to a CRZ, but I've been on Autotrader mulling over some possibilities, some of which are maybe just a tad different, others maybe closer in spirit, and others because I just feel they might be worth a look.

202202182708531 The Hyundai Velostar is a bit of an oddball if for no other reason than the asymmetrical body sides, one of which has one door and t'other has two!. Interesting looking car though, fairly practical, likely to be very reliable (uses Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30 underpinnings). Comes with either a 137bhp n/a 1.6 like the above, or a 184bhp turbocharged version. Not a common car as it didn't strike a chord with UK buyers, but I like them!.

202203273995683 The Toyota Celica is getting on a bit now, but this pampered, one owner, low mileage example of the 189bhp version has been garaged all its life.

202203093380977 I did think about a Civic Type R, but it is a bit full on. The Type S GT has the looks, but a less frenetic driving experience. This one has a red leather interior, but ones with a more subtle interior are available.

202203213788900 I have long been a fan of the Volvo C30's distinctive looks. Underneath you have a Ford Focus, so absolutely nothing to fear.

202201221633398 I'd consider the Sirocco to be one of VW's best looking cars. I was always baffled as to why someone would choose a 3 door Golf over one of these only slightly less practical but fantastic looking coupes. I've linked a green one because that has always been my favourite colour on the 'Roc. But, I'd be wanting to look closely into the TSI engine as to when they changed from the problematic chain drive to the much more reliable belt drive.

202203163636587 The Vauxhall Astra GTC is, IMO, another great looking car. Fairly practical for a coupe, reliable too as far as the petrol engines go. A choice of 120 and 140bhp 1.4 turbo's, a 200bhp 1.6 turbo and the 280bhp 2.0 turbo (though you'd need around £12k to get into one of them).

Thanks a lot.. I'll take a look tonight

None of the 1st gen Honda Insight's on Autotrader, but there are a couple on Ebay. This is the nicest, 353616477011.

I love these things!. Very advanced, not just for their day, but now too. Very light at under 900kg (this is a hybrid mind) thanks to its aluminium monocoque, and very aerodynamic. Because of the low weight, they are faster than you might expect too despite mustering 80bhp between the 1.0 petrol and the little electric motor. And the aerodynamics mean it will slip through the air at the legal limit using very little fuel. The 120mpg claimed by the seller may be possible in theory, but 80mpg is certainly doable without trying too hard.

Drawbacks are having only two seats, the fact that the youngest is 16 years old now, and having a fairly harsh ride (that also applies to the CRZ).