What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - Natasza
Hello everyone, I’m new on here.

I’m seeking for help from experienced users:)

Two weeks ago I took a lovely car on finance after struggling with my current vehicle. Car was purchased from a dealer, on warranty - I informed them that I would put car through detailed inspection as didn’t wan’t to purchase a faulty car.

Picked car up on Thursday, on Tuesday sent off to two garages , both of them confirmed that car has been remapped and DPF has been removed , also minor suspension issues.

I called the dealer, they picked up my car, left courtesy vehicle reassuring me that on policy provided by them I can still do my job - delivery driver.

When I called insurer they declined. I was informed that I shouldn’t be driving courtesy car as policy only covers purchased car on drive away(5 days).

For about a week dealers garage didn’t do anything with my car, I’m meant to call them on Monday in regards to find out whether they would fix the car or find different solution.

The thing is that I would expect them to work more promptly as car was road unworthy - illegal to drive ( I know some drivers remove DPF, but I purchased car with thought of selling it in the future , in factory’s settings, not modified).

What could be my options ? What are the chances that garage will fix vehicle for me ? I can’t have another week not working. I am left without vehicle, with finance on it and can’t actually make money as car was faulty.

Thank you for any advice:)
Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - Xileno

Welcome to the forum.

This link might be useful: www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/106966/i-have-ju...e-

What age of Focus and was this a Ford dealer?

Focus is 2015, and no, not a Ford Dealer.

Lender is different than dealer itself, two separate companies.

Thank you, just off to read
Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - sammy1

Notify the finance company and reject the car with the dealer. This sounds to me that the car is not satisfactory should never have been sold to you. Also get in touch with trading standards. I would also contact the warranty company as they might be paying for work to correct faults that was already there when you bought it Do not be persuaded to buy another car from this company.

Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - _

This is an interesting case so moved here for further comments.

Orb.

Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - SLO76
DPF issues are common on modern diesels I’m afraid, this is just a reminder from the start. I’d personally avoid a cheap diesel (I’m assuming it’s up in the miles) as they’ll typically cost more to run overall than an equivalent modern petrol. They’re simply unfit for purpose with possibly one exception, the 1.6 DTEC motor used by Honda.

As for your own car, well it is illegal and unroadworthy. I’d reject it as you don’t want the dealer doing a cheap bodge job (they’ll fix it as cheaply as they can) then leaving you to suffer the cost later on when the warranty is up. Find more money for a good Civic 1.6 DTEC or buy a good petrol Civic, Mazda 3 or Toyota Auris instead.

Be wary of small backstreet dealers, almost all of their stock is auction bought junk that has been rejected by main dealers, usually due to mileage discrepancies, poorly repaired accident damage or general neglect. It’s worth paying extra for a good approved used car with a full main dealer history,
Thank you for great insight !

I had no clue in regards to source of cars from dealership.
I will be speaking to dealer and garage today and will be rejecting vehicle.

As to suggested cars - I’ve been fords car owner for over 8 years, and absolutely love them.

My last car went up to 253000 miles and I couldn’t fault it at all. Sadly we had unfortunate car accident, I was gutted, I know it’s a lot to do with luck, but also proper maintenance of the car.

I am very sensitive as to how my vehicle is ‘driving’ and because it is my tool needed for work I service /repair vehicles as soon as needed, only had good experience with diesel and petrol fords (diesel I find much better ones ), and I’m more than happy to go back to the brand :)
Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - expat

You did right getting a mechanical inspection however the time to have it done is before you agree to buy the car. If the dealer will not agree to that, it is tantamount to him saying that you won't want to buy it if you find out what is wrong with it. That is the time you walk away.

We agreed - the lender and dealer that I have 30 days to run inspection on the car, I informed dealer as well that I intend to do so which they were fine with.

I spoke to lender and they are happy for me to reject vehicle, I wouldn’t be surprised if dealer would keep the car to be fair as I will be notifying Trading Standards, and got few other options as well should dealer be funny about it.

Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - catsdad

If it was me I would just concentrate on getting my cash back as the dealer has agreed. I might then advise TS but would keep them out of it until I had my refund. Keep it as simple as possible.

Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - Gibbo_Wirral

Curious as to how the garages found out it had been remapped?

Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - badbusdriver

Curious as to how the garages found out it had been remapped?

Presumably this could be detected on plug in diagnostics equipment?. The absence of the DPF would probably have made them suspicious enough to check.

I'm more curious as to why the OP waited till after purchase before having another garage look at the car. Also curious why, after having the first garage look at it and report back their findings, did he then feel the need to put the car to a second garage?

First garage wasn’t VAT registered, normal garage run in my town that’s been taking care of my vehicles in the past. After consulting with dealer in regards to faults I was told to run it through VAT registered one which I’ve done approx 1 hr post first inspection. Called dealer, the picked up the car on the same day in order to get things right.
Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - Gibbo_Wirral

Presumably this could be detected on plug in diagnostics equipment?. The absence of the DPF would probably have made them suspicious enough to check.

No general garage diagnostics equipment would be capable of doing that. The garage would need to read the map in the ECU and compare it with a stock one.

Ford Focus - Faulty car sold - removed DPF - SLO76
If no emissions warning light is illuminated despite the missing DPF then it has been mapped out.