What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX-60 - Metropolis.
Will come with Mazda developed 3.0-litre petrol and 3.3-litre diesel straight-six engines – both will be on sale by 2023. Anyone else a little bit excited to see Mazda producing something interesting again?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/mazda/cx-60/
Mazda CX-60 - Falkirk Bairn

CX-60 and 3 litre petrol engine - limited market especially as it is about £8.00 a gallon these days.

The 4 pot 2.5 petrol + Toyota Hybrid battery add-on will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds will be enough for the majority of buyers IMHO

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

If you appreciate style, the joy of a straight six and can afford the asking price you should be able to afford the fuel. Doubt many of the will sell, but they'll go to right buyers who don't cover many miles. If not, buy something else.

Mazda CX-60 - groaver

I understand it to be the start of Mazda'a attempt to move upmarket.

Personally, I think it will be awfully hard to convince those who buy Mercedes and BMWs etc Al that Mazda suddenly holds the same cachet even though they are probably more reliable ( diesels excepted).

I see that Bentley has just had a record year. Manufacturers will increasingly chase profitability per unit over sales numbers.

Mazda CX-60 - badbusdriver

Anyone else a little bit excited to see Mazda producing something interesting again?

A biggish SUV which, with the grill treatment removed, could really be anything?.

Mazda CX-60 - Engineer Andy
Will come with Mazda developed 3.0-litre petrol and 3.3-litre diesel straight-six engines – both will be on sale by 2023. Anyone else a little bit excited to see Mazda producing something interesting again? www.honestjohn.co.uk/mazda/cx-60/

They already do, it's just that the range of engines and cars they sell in Europe, and particularly in the UK, has been very limited since the divorce from Ford.

Part of that might've been the EU 'average corproate CO2 emissions' fines for manufacturers - as it was skewed towards cars that did well in the old emissions test, but since the changes to that, they appear to have slowly begun to add to their range again.

Many of their best car-engine combos have only been available for sale in North America and Down Under.

The blurb on that link says it will start off with the 2.5 four pot (already used) and that the straight sixes "will join the range in the future".

I'm guessing whether or not that actually happens will depend on how well received the 2.5 is, and by how much customer interest there is for the bigger engines. In short, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

In the grand scheme of things in the motoring world 3ltre petrol and 3.3litre diesels seems to be backward thinking unless they have a warehouse full of old engines that they need to offload!

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

In the grand scheme of things in the motoring world 3ltre petrol and 3.3litre diesels seems to be backward thinking unless they have a warehouse full of old engines that they need to offload!

More for people interested in driving.

Mazda CX-60 - thunderbird

Remember the Mazda CX7 from about 2008, preceded the CX5. Came with a choice of one engine, a big thirsty petrol since the car was made for the American market. Virtually no one bought one. To clear out stock the dealers were doing a 2 for 1 offer, buy a CX7 and get a Mazda 2 free. Chap down our street had one for towing and his wife had the 2 for commuting.

When it was far too late they introduced a diesel but it was by then a forgotten car, still no one bought one.

I think exactly the same will happen again.

Remember the Mazda CX7 from about 2008, preceded the CX5. Came with a choice of one engine, a big thirsty petrol since the car was made for the American market. Virtually no one bought one. To clear out stock the dealers were doing a 2 for 1 offer, buy a CX7 and get a Mazda 2 free. Chap down our street had one for towing and his wife had the 2 for commuting.

When it was far too late they introduced a diesel but it was by then a forgotten car, still no one bought one.

I think exactly the same will happen again.

It was the same 4 cyl 2.3 turbo petrol used in the MPS versions of the 3 and 6. Mazda certainly didn't do themselves any favour by initially only offering that engine (the diesel turned up a year later, but it was 'that' engine), and only with a manual gearbox.

This isn't the same thing as it is being introduced with the smallest, least powerful and (probably) most efficient powertrain.

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

In a land down under where they're not so many badge snobs there's also a CX-8 and a CX-9. Doubt if either would sell here.

www.mazda.com.au/cars/cx-9/#gt-sp

The blurb on that link says it will start off with the 2.5 four pot (already used) and that the straight sixes "will join the range in the future".

I'm guessing whether or not that actually happens will depend on how well received the 2.5 is, and by how much customer interest there is for the bigger engines. In short, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I would've liked to see the 2.5 (Skyactiv-G) in turbocharged form, like on the Mazda3 in North America.

Mazda CX-60 - groaver

These are new engines coming out with rear wheel drive biased drivetrains.

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

Would they be able to compete with the equivalent BMW's I doubt it. I know where my money would be

Mazda CX-60 - groaver

Yes. I doubt it too as I said further up.

A badge is everything to a lot of Brits.

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

"""A badge is everything to a lot of Brits.""

I don't know about the badge thing but the CX60 starts at £43k with a list of higher spec models and extras which are no cheaper than a BMW or MERC. I think the front grill is ugly on the Mazda range of cars. On the CX 60 hybrid it says you can do up to 39miles and charge it on the street in about an hour. Those able to afford this money for a car are NOT going to faff around charging these things the same with most other hybrids to save what a few quid over the life of the car. 2 years ago you could buy a decent car for £25k or less new. The DVLA must be laughing at all the road fund money coming into its coffers with cars over the £40k threshold and on going for 5years

Mazda CX-60 - groaver

2 years ago you could buy a decent car for £25k or less new. The DVLA must be laughing at all the road fund money coming into its coffers with cars over the £40k threshold and on going for 5years

Indeed!

I read an article somewhere a day or so ago concerning someone who bought such a car secondhand. They were furious at having to pay the extra ved and thought it shouldn't be applicable....

Caveat emptor

Edited by groaver on 16/03/2022 at 08:16

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

Would they be able to compete with the equivalent BMW's I doubt it. I know where my money would be

My money would definitely go to Mazda.

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

"""My money would definitely go to Mazda."""

In the longer term the Mazda would loose out on depreciation

Mazda CX-60 - SLO76
Looks suspiciously like a Toyota RAV4 with a Mazda front end glued on. Welcome to the future, you’ll have three different cars to choose from.

No it won't, that isn't how depreciation works on cars. The first two to three years is where all cars take the biggest hit and that is where the Mazda might lose out to a premium German rival. Once past that period, depreciation evens out and any difference would be negligible.

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

No it won't, that isn't how depreciation works on cars. The first two to three years is where all cars take the biggest hit and that is where the Mazda might lose out to a premium German rival. Once past that period, depreciation evens out and any difference would be negligible.

Exactly BBD, and in the meantime I'd be enjoying the superior quality, gorgeously designed interior and greater reliability of the Mazda

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

It is well known that after 3 years some cars might loose as much as 60% of their value new and others much less. A rival car the BMW X3 would in my opinion loose much less than the Mazda in three years and be miles a head in value after 10years as once the price is lost there is no catch up. One only has to look at most BMWs of say 10 years and see the premium prices they command

Mazda CX-60 - groaver

It has a longer engine bay to accommodate those sixes but I get your point.

It is well known that after 3 years some cars might loose as much as 60% of their value new and others much less. A rival car the BMW X3 would in my opinion loose much less than the Mazda in three years and be miles a head in value after 10years as once the price is lost there is no catch up. One only has to look at most BMWs of say 10 years and see the premium prices they command

You are missing the point. Yes, after 3 years, some cars will have lost more value than others, but once past that point, depreciation levels off.

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

"""You are missing the point. Yes, after 3 years, some cars will have lost more value than others, but once past that point, depreciation levels off."""

Yes depreciation levels off after 3 years but it levels off for each individual car so if one car is worth £10k more at the end of 3years than another then it will always be worth more money even if the price difference tails off towards year 10. Cars which depreciate at high rates eg Vauxhalls continue their decline at a higher rate than premium cars

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

We're not talking Vauxhall here. :-)

Edited by Trilogy. on 17/03/2022 at 08:06

Mazda CX-60 - sammy1

""" Cars which depreciate at high rates eg Vauxhalls continue their decline at a higher rate than premium cars

Only mentioned Vauxhall as an example, might also have mentioned Mazda as they too will never be considered a premium brand

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.

""" Cars which depreciate at high rates eg Vauxhalls continue their decline at a higher rate than premium cars

Only mentioned Vauxhall as an example, might also have mentioned Mazda as they too will never be considered a premium brand

Straight talking John Cadogan has stated Mazda interiors are better quality than Mercedes. Sit in a Mazda 3 or CX-5 then you'll realise he's right. If you the want the badge buy your BMW, if you want a car that slips under the radar, is beautifully built and designed, you'll appreciate the exclusivity, reliability and driving characteristics of the Mazda, then realise it's more premium than you perceive it to be. For some a BMW is no better than a Ford, and they're more common too.

Mazda CX-60 - Trilogy.
Looks suspiciously like a Toyota RAV4 with a Mazda front end glued on.

Only if you need a visit to Specsavers, better get an appointment PDQ SLO.

Looks suspiciously like a Toyota RAV4 with a Mazda front end glued on.

Only if you need a visit to Specsavers, better get an appointment PDQ SLO.

((chuckle)) Far better looking than a Rav4.

To be fair, the 'new' Mazda2 'hybrid' is basically just a Toyota Yaris with Mazda mortifs.