What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Trilogy.

The misguided will still convert their classics for the environment, while some understandably do it for more reliability and a preferred driving experience. For those without the means there's always going to be an alternative.

I'm very much with Harry on the PHEV front.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1RiTCZFFg

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - John F

I wish as much attention was paid to human CO2 production as to that from cars.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101102131108...m

I wonder how many people know that the population of Afghanistan, just one of the many benighted fecund overpopulated countries expecting to be fed by US and Ukrainian farmers, now exceeds that of the continent of Australia.

Meanwhile, having produced a mere two children, I shall continue to guiltlessly enjoy my gas guzzling cars whose thirst is mostly paid for by people less well off than myself buying the three megawatts per annum of non CO2 electricity I generate from my solar panels for >50p per unit.....tax free.

Edited by John F on 14/03/2022 at 10:12

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - sandy56

And meanwhile one of the big risks associated with electic cars is not being discussed much in the pubic forums.. thermal runaway...and the real challenges of handling fires in battery powered cars.

edition.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/03/01/cargo-s...s

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/how-much-...s

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Xileno

I'm a great fan of Harry's channel, I think he has a skill of breaking down quite dull and tedious subjects into an interesting way which appeals and is understandable to the masses.

As countries become wealthier then the birth rate tends to fall. Afghanistan has a dreadful child mortality rate. I'm sure I read an article a while ago that stated the World population is due to go into decline in the next twenty years or so? In which case maybe some of the concerns will sort themselves out.

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Terry W

I listened to the first three minutes. It is skewed rubbish.

He claims CO2 emissions are 400g per KW in the Midlands. He may be right - but across the country his graphic shows a UK average of 221g.

It may have escaped his attention but the UK has a NATIONAL grid which allows energy generated in one place to be delivered in another. Any conclusions drawn on the basis of so skewed a proposition have close to zero credibility.

I also find his use of three cars so far removed from the normal experience of most motorists to be of questionable relevance as a piece of motoring analysis.

In his favour - he is an effective presenter and, a bit like the old "Top Gear", entertains - eg: "the most economical 200mph supercar". If you can buy one you really don't care about its green credentials!

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - mcb100
I don’t have any data on how it breaks down by region, but here are the latest UK figures -

British electricity mix at 11am on 14th Mar 2022

Nuclear 14.6% Gas 34.1% Coal 1.8%
Wind 19.8% Solar 16.0% Hydro 1.7%
Biomass 4.8% Import 6.5% Storage 0.0% Other 0.6%

Generation 38GW
Carbon intensity 222 gCO2e/kWh
vs 50-100 gCO2e/kWh target by 2030
It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Andrew-T

And meanwhile one of the big risks associated with electic cars is not being discussed much in the pubic forums..

Those sound interesting - where are they ? :-))

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - mcb100
Shhhh….CNN and Autocar are secret organisations.
It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Engineer Andy

And meanwhile one of the big risks associated with electic cars is not being discussed much in the pubic forums..

Those sound interesting - where are they ? :-))

A load of old boll***s? (chuckle)

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Engineer Andy

And meanwhile one of the big risks associated with electic cars is not being discussed much in the pubic forums.. thermal runaway...and the real challenges of handling fires in battery powered cars.

edition.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/03/01/cargo-s...s

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/how-much-...s

That subject (the sinking of a car container ship in the Atlantic is part of it) was covered by Aussie motoring journo on his YT channel recently.

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - focussed

Some problems with EV's on ferries.

brandogsikring.dk/en/news/2021/ferries-must-be-sec.../

www.newsinenglish.no/2010/11/19/ferry-fire-linked-.../

Eurotunnel permits EV's but bans any LPG/LNG/CNG (and all other flammable gas) powered vehicles - weird as AFAIK gas tanks do not self combust like EV batteries.

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Andrew-T

Eurotunnel permits EV's but bans any LPG/LNG/CNG (and all other flammable gas) powered vehicles - weird as AFAIK gas tanks do not self combust like EV batteries.

Anyone who can remember the aftermath of the rail-tanker fire in Todmorden tunnel many years ago will understand the thinking behind this. I suppose it's fortunate that other kinds of fuel are permitted.

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - nick62

Yes, totally crazy comparison to use localised generation methods, (otherwise our energy costs would be very different depending upon location). His argument is flawed from the start based on this and thus is complete twaddle.

It's not all EV yet - thank goodness - Trilogy.

The pain and pleasure of running an EV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-M9Z6F18Vk