Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - John-218

Hi All,

First of all let me say thanks to everyone who took the time to answer a query I posted about a year ago, the replies were much appreciated.

Now then, the problem I have at the moment is the loss of coolant. Although it's not a massive amount it is a concern, the level drops about 1/2 inch approx every 1000 miles or so. Also, when the car has been on a long run there is still a very small amount of vapour coming from the exhaust pipe even though the engine is fully warmed up.

I took it to the main dealer thinking it might be a gasket problem. They tested the coolant pressure which they said was ok after running the engine for an hour. They then fitted a new cap on the coolant tank just in case the loss was due to evaporation. This didn't work so I'm still slowly losing coolant.

Before I take it back to the main dealer I thought I would ask for advice, any help would be very much appreciated.

John Moore

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - John F

In the absence of any external leaks (hoses, water pump), the most obvious and common diagnosis would be early CHG failure. At this very early stage of failure a pressure test will be useless (a vessel with a tiny puncture can appear continent and hold pressure for several days). The garage should have tested for the presence of exhaust gases in the coolant, but if there is a 'one-way-valve' effect even this test might be negative.

It is always difficult to know what to do, as the tiny leak might not get much worse over the next few thousand miles, or it might deteriorate rapidly. Addition of sealing substances e.g. 'radweld' is debatable. Running it unpressurised (coolant cap loose) will reduce coolant loss but risk blowing it out if it gets too hot. Unscrupulous owners might sell at this stage, well topped up and denying any problem.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - bathtub tom

If it's petrol, taking the plugs out and examining them may give you a clue, also turning the engine over with the plugs out may squirt some coolant out if it's CHG.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - Andrew-T

Gasket leaks can have different symptoms, depending which galleries have become connected. Is there any 'mayonnaise' on the oil-filler cap ?

Several years ago I suspected a small gasket leak, and my trusted indy did a pressure test with negative results. In the end I decided to change the gasket which cured the problem.

Thanks for the replies John F & Tom, I will have another word with the garage and see what they suggest next, if they think radiator sealer will help then I'll give it a go.

Andrew, thanks for your input too, the oil cap is clean, no gunge around it.

Stay safe everyone.

John.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - RT

I had similar problems on a one year old Hyundai Santa Fe - coolant loss was the only symptom - it took me 2 years to convince the dealer there was a problem because their pressure test and "sniff" test proved negative several times and no "mayonaisse" on the oil cap - it was only when the engine overheated and lost all it's coolant during a caravan touring holiday that they finally agree to take the cylinder head off and examine it - even then the evidence was microscopic and very difficult to see but because of my good relationship with them, they persevered and eventually were able to rebuild the engine at Hyundai's expense - the automatic transmission fluid had to be flushed and changed as well as it too had been overheated.

I'd suggest you involve Vauxhall Customer Services and make sure they're kept in the loop with any testing or further coolant top-ups that are necessary.

I don't suggest using a sealant unless you can identify a leak - if it is a slowly failing head gasket then sealant won't cure it.

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - elekie&a/c doctor
Bit of a long shot here, if it’s a petrol engine , there’s a joint behind the water pump that can leak into the engine oil . It’s not visible without dismantling. Rad sealer is really emergency use only , using it could end up with more problems.
Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - Andrew-T

Thermostat gasket ?

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - blindspot

i would have a real good look for leaks .. get underneath. strong torch. mirrors on sticks. tissues . with and without engine running . at temperature and cold.. ,. only going to get worse and let you down

Vauxhall Mokka X - Car Is Losing Coolant - Advice Welcome - craig-pd130

As mentioned above, if it's a 1.4 petrol engine, I wouldn't rule out external leakage. Our previous Corsa had a slow but constant coolant loss at a rate similar to yours.

I ruled out HG failure as the coolant was still bright pink with no oily spots, and there was never any mayonnaise under the filler cap. Eventually I spotted a drop of coolant on the sump on the water pump side of the engine. Local indie checked and found a small leak from the water pump housing. He replaced the water pump, problem solved. I seem to remember it's a fairly common issue on the GM 1.2/1.4 four cylinder motor.

The leak was small enough that the coolant was being evaporated on the hot engine, which meant it wasn't dripping on our drive. I only spotted it when I did because the car had done a very short run, and the engine hadn't got hot enough to vaporise the drips.

Thanks for all the replies, they're much appreciated.