What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 4 Series - Ever wondered how insurance premiums keep rising? - Falkirk Bairn

About 4 weeks ago a person I know was sitting in their car waiting for a friend to come out of Tesco.

Car pulls into the space next to her and opens her door which smacks into the passenger door of a 6 month old 440i - List is over £50K.

Car is booked into the supplying dealer. Dealer workshop says a good repair cannot be done of the door and as such they will replace the whole door - no mention of a new door skin.

They have supplied the 440 owner with a courtesy car (430).

Almost a MONTH has passed and the door has not arrived and delivery date is still unknown.

1)Why take a perfectly roadworthy car off the road and provide a hire car - apart from exploiting the 3rd party insurer?

2) Why not repair the door skin - it was a ding about 3" or 4" long NOT a bash from a bumper etc that could put the door frame out of shape

The car owner does not treat the car with any care - the car the 440 replaced went back with kerbed wheels, scrapes & scratches on most panels.

Let's say £120-£140?per day for car hire we are at roughly £3 ,500- £4,000 and the car is still not repaired!

BMW 4 Series - Ever wondered how insurance premiums keep rising? - daveyjp

Nothing new. When a neighbour scraped our Aygo the insurance wanted a whole rear bumper, respray, badges (!) and of course expected us to take a rip off hire car for over a week. Cost would have been thousands.

As the insurance was so useless when I refused a hire car as we didn't need it, I did a direct claim with the other party insurance and used my own bodyshop. It was £250.

The car is now almost 16 years old and I see it around the area.

BMW 4 Series - Ever wondered how insurance premiums keep rising? - RT

Insurers can be stupid though - while parked an HGV wiped out my VW Touareg's driver's door mirror - the estimate from my dealer was £1600 as it incorporated a camera system - I invited the HGV's company to pay direct but their insurer wouldn't authorise it - so I claimed on my insurance who provided a like-for-like courtesy car (Mercedes GLE) for 3 days at an additional cost of £900 which was eventually all recovered from the third party's insurer.

BMW 4 Series - Ever wondered how insurance premiums keep rising? - Wee Willie Winkie

My Tesla Model 3 suffered at the hands of 1) Storm Eunice and 2) my 9 year old. The inability of 2) to wait for me and not open the passenger door resulted in 1) whipping the door open and causing multiple dents in the door as it was flung forward. The door now doesn't shut properly and I think the front has also been affected.

Anyhow, it's being recovered to a bodyshop tomorrow (that's another pain - the nearest insurance and Tesla approved bodyshop is 70 miles away and I'm expected to attend to collect the courtesy car). Lord only knows how long it's going to be there for - looks like at least a new door and I'm led to believe there's a long lead time.

Edited by DieselBoy on 20/02/2022 at 17:44

BMW 4 Series - Ever wondered how insurance premiums keep rising? - Terry W

I had similar many years ago with a Mondeo bumper - took 3 weeks.

The real explanation - the insurance company screws the repairers for a low labour rate to keep the costs down. The repairer responds by claiming extended hire car costs on which they make a profit.

A delay in sourcing spares (BMW, TESLA) actually benefits the repairer by creating the car hire opportunity, and reduces th manufacturers stockholding costs.

Like a lot of targets and incentives - unintended consequences dominate the outcome.