What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX5 - Commitment to Diesel - Steveieb

Surprising to see Mazda s commitment to diesel after all the negative comments reported by owners on this site about major problems whilst shortly out of warranty .

Lets hope they have finally sorted the DPF issues as the road tests indicate that the extra power from the diesel gives it the performance lacking in the petrol.

Mazda CX5 - Commitment to Diesel - Engineer Andy

Is that on their website, this one or a newspaper site?

I was under the impression that due to the new 'green' commitments by many western governments and all the negative publicity for Mazda over their diesel engine issues, they were moving over to petrol only and a combo of petrol-hybrids and EVs, aside from the pick-up trucks.

They had also added the 2.5L SA-G engine to the lineup of the Mazda6, which I presumed was them phasing out the diesels in their larger cars.

If they are still going (for now) for diesels in their car line-up, then in my view they are taking a gamble (as you say) that they've fixed the DPF / oil dilution problems - especially for owners who do quite a bit of short trips from cold.

Mazda CX5 - Commitment to Diesel - mcb100
The motoring press have just been driving the updated, 2022, CX-5, including diesel, so it looks like they’re continuing with compression ignition with both petrol and diesel.

Edited by mcb100 on 10/02/2022 at 18:56

Mazda CX5 - Commitment to Diesel - Engineer Andy
The motoring press have just been driving the updated, 2022, CX-5, including diesel, so it looks like they’re continuing with compression ignition with both petrol and diesel.

I remember Mazda saying that they wanted (presumably because of their large-scale investment) to continue replacing the spark-ignition petrol cars with the Skyactiv-X compression-ignition combo, where that tech could be reasonably up and downscaled to replace their 1.5 and 2.5 SA-G engines at least.

I suppose as we now don't get any of their much large SUVs that only the CX-5 and (where sold) the BT-50 (I think it was still a rebadged Ford and will/is now a rebadged Izusu) will be diesel-powered for the next few years.

Let's hope they get it right this time.