What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Ethan Edwards

Since taking delivery in September I've been doing longer trips. Getting more familiar with its capabilities. This weekend I did 145 miles virtually all on M ways. Got home with 19pct battery. That means the 200m range ( which is like manufacturers mpg figures it's an ideal) . At 14deg C on the day I actually got about 180 to 185 miles. That's going to be about as good as it gets. I'm pleased with that. It's up on the Range from a few weeks ago when it was much colder then about 160. Might improve a bit in the summer we shall see. The Mokka isn't as efficient as some EVs and has only a modest 50kwh battery. But for me it's quite acceptable. One thing is its clear to me the range meter is a bad guesser. I now use the battery pct remaining meter to estimate remaining range. Say 10% is more or less 20 miles.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 01/02/2022 at 22:59

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - _

Thanks for the update,

I think that if I ever go down the route of an Eleccy car, I'll want a 400 mile rane minimum.

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Grenache

Thanks for the update,

I think that if I ever go down the route of an Eleccy car, I'll want a 400 mile rane minimum.

Me too, I do a 270 journey twice a week with just a 5-min toilet stop half-way. There's no way I'd want to rely on finding a n available charging point when all I want to do at 10pm is get home and get to bed.

My journey is almost all motorway at 70mph, in the freezing dark at this time of the year, so I'd be looking for a 350-mile range in the depth of winter with a half-laden car. Until that's a reality I'll be sticking to my 58-mpg diesel that has a 600-mile range and takes 5 minutes to go from empty to full.

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - SLO76
Thanks for the update. We almost went for the Mokka but decided instead on the VW ID3 which was designed from the off as an electric car rather than a conventional combustion engines vehicle which has been converted. The interior packaging works better, taking full advantage of the EV layout and the range is greater which when living in Scotland with our harsh winters was a major concern with going electric as batteries don’t like cold weather as we’re discovering with my firms electric buses. Another concern I had was the reliability since it’s basically a Peugeot 208 e underneath and a colleague has had numerous minor electrical and software niggles on his petrol 2008. Keep us updated.
Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Ian_SW

The variation in efficiency of electric cars seems quite surprising, and it doesn't seem to be the case that small is necessarily more efficient.

I wonder how much of this is down to aerodynamics and how much is management of the battery, regenerative braking etc. It seems surprising that when aerodynamic drag becomes so much more of a factor that most of the EVs coming out (other than Tesla) don't seem to be designed with aerodynamic efficienty in mind.

The long range is only really needed when driving at motorway speeds, so I'm surprised they haven't focussed more on getting more out of the cars at higher speeds. You'd need to be driving round and round constantly all day in a city (like a taxi) to get close to using up even a 150 mile range, yet that's only just over 2 hours of motorway driving.

It's a peculiarity of EVs that pootling round town at 30ish seems to be much more efficient than blasting down the motorway at 70 ish.

Efficiency of EVs. My recent trip the trip computer said I was averaging 4.6kwh . which is remarkable. The Mokka usually seems to give sub 4. I was taking it easy, restricted it to 60/ 65 and using eco mode etc. Efficient EVs will give above 4 miles per kwh. So if you want to know if the one your looking at is efficient then find out its miles per Kwh figure.

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - mcb100
I’d be happy with a 200 mile, 70mph, range. That’s about as far as I’d go without a stop, and if I did need to stop, 15 minutes on a 50kW charge point would give me plenty of range to spare (40-45 miles from rough maths).

Yep my thoughts exactly. Two hours of driving is plenty for me, then I'm stopping for a "splash n dash". Its an old guy thing.

The Mokka will charge at 100kw so if you pick the right stop you can be back up to 80% plus when your ready to roll again.

I see the point of using a charger while having a comfort break, but I am thinking of the times I will want to do 150 ish miles, and have no access to a charger, but want to get home, with a bit of reserve..

Well if you start with a full charge that's quite possible. But I do get your point it's difficult to be spontaneous . Ev ownership seems to require you to be a little organised.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 02/02/2022 at 21:27

Well if you start with a full charge that's quite possible. But I do get your point it's difficult to be spontaneous . Ev ownership seems to require you to be a little organised.

Yes, but I want 150 miles EACH way...

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - FP

An EV would make perfect sense for 99% of my motoring. In the average week, none of my return trips is more than 25 miles.

But occasionally I drive north to see family and that means close to 300 miles each way, split between two or three days; re-charging, subject to availability, would make the trip possible, but given the paucity of charging points, problematic. We're also planning to go to France with the car around Easter time and I've no idea how that would work with an EV.

I don't wish to run two cars, nor to hire.

I imagine my situation is not uncommon. Until the general range of EVs improves to 300 miles and reliable, accessible charging points are the norm (and I don't want to have to rely on re-charging halfway on a long journey) I won't be dumping ICE. Charging points will need to be as available as filling stations are now and we are a very, very long way off that.

There are actually comfortably more charging points than petrol stations.
In fact, there are 36% fewer petrol stations than there were in 2000 in the UK - 8378 currently.
By contrast there are 48,906 public connections at 29141 devices. Plus, obviously, work and home wall boxes. Those numbers are growing daily (701 connections were added in the past 30 days),as the total of petrol stations decreases.
www.zap-map.com/statistics/

Edited by mcb100 on 03/02/2022 at 19:23

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - S40 Man
There are actually comfortably more charging points than petrol stations. In fact, there are 36% fewer petrol stations than there were in 2000 in the UK. By contrast there are 48,906 public connections at 29141 devices. Plus, obviously, work and home wall boxes. Those numbers are growing daily (701 connections were added in the past 30 days),as the total of petrol stations decreases. www.zap-map.com/statistics/

Yes but each petrol station has say 8 pumps and each one might be used for 6 minutes (including paying in the shop kiosk). 80 cars fuelled per hour. Even at 50% that's 40 vehicles. Each electric station will need 30 mins for a fast charge and even longer for regular charging so maybe max 2 per hour be realistically less than that.

It’s approximately 1 public charge point per 8 EV’s on the road in the UK. Something like 37 million vehicles that need a fuel pump, so at 8 pumps per petrol station that’s 552 vehicles per pump.
Given that the majority of charging is and will be done at home, and that average UK daily mileage is 23/24 miles, we’re not in a bad position and the figures are only going one way.

Edited by mcb100 on 03/02/2022 at 20:06

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - VengaPete

And you have to consider reliability of "pumps".

How often do you see an out of service fuel pump due to mechanical breakdown?

In contrast, many reports of EV "Pumps" not working, blocked by other cars for lengthy periods, you don't have the right App, you don't have the right connector etc
Whereas with fuel, its a standard size filler hole and all pumping stations take generic payment cards.

I'd love to go EV but I have to have ability to refuel at a moments notice as I look after elderly parents which live far enough away for it to be a problem if I come home with only 25% charge and needing an hour charge.

I dare say the technology will catch up but at present coupled with the high cost of EV, its a non starter for me.

If we take 25% from the working total for out of action charge points, that’s still only 11 cars per connection.
Charge point providers are now starting to implement overstay or idle fees for those that leave a charged car plugged into a fast or rapid charger and not unplugging and moving it once charged.
Mokka E - Range Anxiety - JonestHon

The question for me is how unequal the dispersion of public charging points. For example in my small town there is only one public charging point in the local Tesco vs 3 regular filling stations. Seems most EV's or PHVs charge at home.

I can afford an EV but it's just not practical enough as we will need to stretch a cable over a public four path. Sticking with our 2010 Petrol Avensis estate and the IS cost me nothing and only need filling up once or twice a month which is not a great deal.

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Sparrow

It would be very interesting to see the distribution of these chargers. A friend who recently bought a Leaf and travels regularly from the rural south-west had no problems recharging on public chargers in London. Once out of London area they become thin on the ground. At some Motorway services there are lots of dedicated Tesla chargers, but few others. How long will it take to get a reasonable distribution if chargers, especially fast chargers, west of Basingstoke?

Absolute numbers of chargers is meaningless.

Edited by Sparrow on 03/02/2022 at 21:16

www.zap-map.com/live/ Is the usual go to site for charge points.

Well six months on. How has it gone? In a word superb. I've had no problems with the car. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. Around December my wife decided to get in on the act and we leased a Fiat 500e. The 42kwh version which also has a 200 mile range. Well 160 or so in real life. Now the weather is getting a bit warmer that will improve .

Yes the cost of electricity is going up but mainly using the home wallbox means it costs less than half the cost of an ice car. Plus no queuing or shortages.

Rumour has it that Tesla are considering opening up their charger network to non Tesla EVs . If that happens its a game changer. But though some chargers in mainland Europe are open, none so far in the UK. Fingers crossed and let's be nice to Elon eh?

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 08/04/2022 at 19:27

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - alan1302

Rumour has it that Tesla are considering opening up their charger network to non Tesla EVs . If that happens its a game changer. But though some chargers in mainland Europe are open, none so far in the UK. Fingers crossed and let's be nice to Elon eh?

Tesla are opening them up only because if they don't the EU would make them do it so they are getting in first to make out they are doing some good.

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Terry W

It's also possible Tesla will charge non-Tesla drivers a premium price per KW.

I’m not sure the Tesla Supercharger network is expanding as quickly as the non-Tesla network. If they opened them up today, it’d add 1315 to a UK network of 4853 rapid and ultra rapid non-Tesla connectors. 165 new rapid or ultra radio devices were installed last month, each probably capable of charging two cars simultaneously. I’ve no data on how many of those were Tesla.
If anyone ever needs to get from Brighton to Glasgow in a KIA EV6, here’s how you do it - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/brighton-glasg...6

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Xileno

It will be interesting to see how that pans out. If I was running a Tesla and turned up at a Tesla charging point and it was being used by a non-Tesla vehicle, I might be miffed. For me the big USP of the Tesla is the supercharger network. Who has paid for the superchargers? Presumably Tesla?

They already have an algorithm in place where by for a bank of, let’s say six, Superchargers, drivers will get hit with an overstay charge if there are, for example, four of them in use. For days when Tesla need a more rapid turnaround of cars and connections.
It wouldn’t be difficult to do the same and only allow non-Tesla to charge when there isn’t a Tesla demand.
Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Xileno

That's interesting, thanks. When I go to visit family in London, it's a round trip of just over 200 miles so a Tesla might be an option for the future. For now as I only do about 1000 miles a year, the old Focus will be the cheapest option!

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - Terry W

Tesla provided free supercharging in years gone by, I assume as a promotional tool to encourage folk to buy their cars. At the time other charging facilities were thin on the ground, and supercharging almost non-existent.

Going forward it is entirely plausible Tesla will regard charging and car sales as two completely separate businesses. They may even sell their charging stations if they are no longer part of the strategy.

So why would they then give priority to Tesla owners, save those with historical residual rights.

As you say quite a lot of Teslas have free charging for life. How is Elon making any money from that? Opening the network or some of the network to us lesser individuals would be a new income stream. Might enable Elon to buy a second solid gold House...

Mokka E - Range Anxiety - craig-pd130

As you say quite a lot of Teslas have free charging for life. How is Elon making any money from that? .

A few years back, we worked with a security camera company that gained an edge on its competition by offering free cloud storage of footage for life.

Then overnight the company decided to change its policy to free cloud storage for the first 3 months of ownership, and after that customers had to pay for it - even those customers that had already bought cameras with the "free storage for life" promise.

We told the company that the move would be an absolute PR disaster, and that they should simply increase the RRP of the camera a little and continue with free storage. But no, they wouldn't listen, they pressed on with charging for storage and it was the PR (and sales) disaster we told them it would be.

Never underestimate the ability of a company to be short-sighted.

A bit of real world data from today’s drive in a Polestar 2 Single Motor.
I left home (Oldham) with a 90% battery, drove to Northallerton, a customer drove the car for an hour, then I drove it back to Leeds.
Any eastbound journey for me starts with a 600 foot climb from Junction 21 to 22 on the M62, then it was on the speed limit all the way.
Close of journey showed I’d covered 172.3 miles, and consumed 49.967kWh of PodPoints finest.
I don’t have a home charge point, so had to use a rapid charger in a nearby Lidl car park, that was 25p per kWh, giving a journey cost of £12.49. If I’d been able to charge at home on a suitable overnight EV tariff, that could have been as little as £2.50.
Extrapolating what was left in the battery as I left the car, it would have given me a motorway speed range of c220 miles. That’s significantly down on what it would have done in a more urban environment.

That's not bad. You have the 64kwh version? Mokka is only 50kwh and 46 (iirc) is usable. So has a bit less range than you do. Still upwards of 170 miles.

I do have a home wallbox the usual 32amp 7kw. As you said It makes for cheap motoring. So I was wondering why you chose not to have one?

It’s not mine - I was driving it for work, and it was the 78kWh Extended Range version.
The 64kWh has now disappeared, replaced by a 69kWh. It’s possibly not the slipperiest shape to push through the air, they’re notably more efficient when you can get more regeneration around town.
I don’t have off street parking, so when I am driving an EV I’m dependent on public charge points. But, even though today is a fairly typical day’s mileage, I’d have one in a heartbeat and live with the inconvenience of charging in car parks - the driving experience is, for me, superior to petrol or diesel.

Edited by mcb100 on 10/04/2022 at 17:10

Well that explains it. I traded both my ICE cars and bought the Mokka-e six months ago. Not been a problem for me yet. My longest regular journey is about 90 to 100 Mile's round trip. The Mokka can do that with ease just from a home charger (in my Garage). As you say the EV driving experience is an eye opener isn't it.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 10/04/2022 at 20:24

I’m very fortunate in that over the years I’ve driven some very good (and fast and expensive) cars, but driving had become a bit of a means to an end. Since I started drinking EV’s on a regular basis, I’ve looked forward to going places again. And the novelty of the performance from a Dual Motor Polestar 2 doesn’t wear off. Two things to remember before depressing the accelerator fully - make sure all the wheels are pointing the same way, and put your head back on the restraint!