What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - Honda jazzer

Hi guys just wanted to ask your opinion would you reckon the best call out service is .

AA , RAC ,Britannia Rescue

Your thoughts greatly appreciated

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - _

Start rescue, never had a complaint.

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - Ian D
Which magazine which will have large sample sizes and thus better results than one off good/bad experiences has the following ratings (high to low);
Axa
Start rescue
AA
LV Britannia
Admiral
Auto aid
GEM
Green flag
Asda
Aviva
RAC
Allianz assist

So in answer to your question, the AA!
Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - Steveieb

That’s the survey I used and Start came out best value for me especially when you check out the price and their attitude to carrying dogs which the rest are not sympathetic too.

A deciding factor when I was left stranded at Nottingham airport with my daughters dog and watching mu partners Peugeot 207 being recovered when I was with Brittania .

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - RT

That’s the survey I used and Start came out best value for me especially when you check out the price and their attitude to carrying dogs which the rest are not sympathetic too.

A deciding factor when I was left stranded at Nottingham airport with my daughters dog and watching mu partners Peugeot 207 being recovered when I was with Brittania .

You do need to check the detailed T&C as they vary considerably - and to make sure they meet your specific requirements.

As a caravanner, most of that list are excluded - they mostly will recover the caravan if it's being towed at the time of the CAR's breakdown but don't usually cover breakdowns to the caravan - and rarely will recover the caravan from a site if the car breaks down while out for the day.

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - mcb100
If you want the best chance of a repair at the roadside, pick a service that has their own patrols - only AA and RAC.
If you’re happy just to be recovered to a destination, pick the company whose T&C’s and price best suit your requirements. Garages tend to work for multiple different breakdown companies, but have to work to the breakdown company’s T&C’s, and may prioritise jobs based on what they are going to get paid for turning out and for what they can make for turning out.
An AA or RAC patrol is incentivised to repair as many as possible first time, rather than have to either recover a car or call for a truck.

Edited by mcb100 on 28/12/2021 at 09:55

That's a very good point about having your own breakdown Fleet sometimes these fixes could be minor for example I had an issue when the battery ran out on a key and I couldn't start the car I think the AA guy had a spare battery on him or somehow able to get it to start

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - thunderbird

Which magazine which will have large sample sizes and thus better results than one off good/bad experiences has the following ratings (high to low);
Axa

Did the uncles with AXA last year and again this year. He's not used them so no idea if they are any good.

Cost just over £30 for UK rescue and recovery.

If you want the best chance of a repair at the roadside, pick a service that has their own patrols - only AA and RAC. If you’re happy just to be recovered to a destination, pick the company whose T&C’s and price best suit your requirements. Garages tend to work for multiple different breakdown companies, but have to work to the breakdown company’s T&C’s, and may prioritise jobs based on what they are going to get paid for turning out and for what they can make for turning out. An AA or RAC patrol is incentivised to repair as many as possible first time, rather than have to either recover a car or call for a truck.

Which is a PITA when the problem can't be fixed at the roadside - having waited for the patrol to turn up and confirm your diagnosis you then have to wait again for a recovery truck.

I haven't had a problem that could be fixed at the roadside for over 35 years, my son and daughter-in-law have never had one - but we've all had issues that needed recovery to a workshop - so in my book, the value of roadside fixing is way overstated.

Independent surveys currently showing that both the AA and RAC are repairing more than they’re not, considerably more than garage based services.
In addition, the majority of their fleets now have recovery equipment onboard, allowing all four wheels to be lifted from the road surface.
garagewire.co.uk/news/breakdown-and-recovery-news/.../
media.rac.co.uk/pressreleases/rac-patrol-vans-tran...8
I will admit to a bias in that I spent 12 years working for the AA, initially taking breakdown calls, latterly deploying patrols and trucks to members.

Edited by mcb100 on 28/12/2021 at 13:02

Some friends broke down getting on the ferry at Dover.
They called the AA who operate a relay recovery service.

Their Focus had a steering pump failure which was unfixable at the roadside.

The recovery to Northampton took 13 hours.

Dover to Dartford

Unloaded and two hour wait for the next relay

Dartford to Toddington

One and a half hour wait

Toddington to Northampton

An hour wait

Northampton to Rushden final destination.

Understand that the short hops are to limit the number of hours the drivers work for ?

Mcb will tell us why this happens

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - movilogo

The irony is that you'd know how good your recovery service is only when you call them, something which you want to avoid in the first place!

The best bet is to drive cars which have reputation for being reliable. Having said that, sometimes problem is not due to the car e.g. tyre etc.

It’s 15 years since I left the AA, and drivers’ hours regs have apparently changed since then for recovery drivers, but back then you’d not want a driver a long way from home having run out of hours/shift.
We used to deploy from multiple deployment sites - I was in Cheadle, Stockport - and anything going long distance north would maybe go to Gretna to be handed over to an Erskine truck. Hilton Park would be handover point for anything going into Halesowen’s area.
So far as diagnosing on a phone call, the system would prompt the call handler to ask relevant questions to determine whether to turn out a patrol or truck. Equally, if something with a K Series engine popped up on your screen showing a fault of overheating, you’d just send a truck…
Sometimes you’d have to send what was obviously the wrong resource to get someone to safety on a tow pole. So, no, it wasn’t always perfect, but not for lack of trying.
It’s 15 years since I left the AA, and drivers’ hours regs have apparently changed since then for recovery drivers, but back then you’d not want a driver a long way from home having run out of hours/shift. We used to deploy from multiple deployment sites - I was in Cheadle, Stockport - and anything going long distance north would maybe go to Gretna to be handed over to an Erskine truck. Hilton Park would be handover point for anything going into Halesowen’s area. So far as diagnosing on a phone call, the system would prompt the call handler to ask relevant questions to determine whether to turn out a patrol or truck. Equally, if something with a K Series engine popped up on your screen showing a fault of overheating, you’d just send a truck… Sometimes you’d have to send what was obviously the wrong resource to get someone to safety on a tow pole. So, no, it wasn’t always perfect, but not for lack of trying.

I had an accident while out for the day during a caravan holiday in Central Scotland - as part of my Caravan Club Mayday cover, Green Flag sent a contractor out who towed us back to the camp site with a spectacle lift - my car insurers would cover the car recovery but not the caravan so I invoked the double journey cover and got Green Flag to arrange recovery of both car and caravan back to our home in the Midlands, they sent a flat-bed out from Glasgow and took us all the way home, 400 miles - it would have been purgatory doing that with AA Relay.

I subsequently changed my car to a 4wd automatic and had issues with the RAC warranty cover when the immobiliser kicked in (a known fault that needed the immobiliser replacing by the dealer) - RAC quoted me 6 hours wait for a patrol who would confirm my diagnosis and arrange recovery for which there was another 2-3 hours wait.

I'm interested to hear of recent free-wheeling hubs and slave wheels which at least avoids the double wait.

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - Ethan Edwards

Left the AA (after several years) when they made me wait 9 hours and then didn't turn up. Left RAC (after 19 years) when they trebled the original cost. Now Auto Aid .

so am I right in thinking because the AA and RAC have their own fleet they will try and fix it roadsire where as the others will just take you to the nearest garage (and then do you have to pay for it yourself)

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - galileo

so am I right in thinking because the AA and RAC have their own fleet they will try and fix it roadsire where as the others will just take you to the nearest garage (and then do you have to pay for it yourself)

Since first having breakdown cover in about 1967, I first had the AA. Called them out telling them a radiator hose had failed, they turned up after an hour and simply bound it with insulating tape. I could have done that myself, but knew it wouldn't last. Managed to limp to a garage about 2 miles away where I got a hose and fitted it myself.

Sacked the AA and joined RAC. A few years later called them and waited 2 1/2 hours for them, they did fit a new ignition condenser to sort the problem.

At renewal I joined Britannia and over the next 30 odd years called them twice for my car and once when a passenger in daughter's BMW, never waited more than 20 minutes, roadside fixes done and one recovery of 60 miles, agents all friendly and knowledgeable.

For response speed Britannia came best in surveys for a number of years, one of their agents told me that Britannia paid them faster than others he operated for, such as Green Flag.

Edited by galileo on 30/12/2021 at 11:08

Thanks for sharing your experience , that's really helpful .

Best breakdown call out AA ? RAC ? - Xileno

My renewal with AXA has just come through and gone up from £57-37 to £84-34. Seems a bit steep to me. This is for National recovery + Homestart + accident recovery.

Yet last year they were the best value. I hate this annual waste of time trying to find the best deal. Start Rescue have a policy for £62-30 but I will have to thoroughly check the small print. I know some breakdown policies do not cover accident recovery but this one seems to.

The Which report certainly confirms that AXA offer the best service followed by Start which cover I chose as they offer a better price for multiple vehicles.

But Nationwide Flex at £14 a month still looks good if you need phone cover and travel insurance and multiple vehicles including vans. They use LV Brittania.