What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Budget motoring weekly worthies - SLO76

Boring isolation Saturday spent flicking through car ads with Top Gear on as background noise and despite the recent price madness I’m still finding a few cheap cars worth a look.

Private seller, Mot history looks good, pictures show a very clean example of a car with a great reputation for reliability. I’d be on the phone right now if I was hunting for a cheap car today.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112150539492

Edited by SLO76 on 18/12/2021 at 15:09

Budget motoring weekly worthies - Falkirk Bairn

Both look tidy cars.

If they are as good in the flesh as they look in the photos I am sure they could be bought and moved on for more than the prices in the adverts.

Deleted the Jazz. Quick look at the Mot history shows why it’s up for sale. Structural rust is mentioned.

Budget motoring weekly worthies - nellyjak

Agree re. the Corolla....looks very tidy and if the MOT checks out reasonably, then well worth the dosh....good spot SLO

Budget motoring weekly worthies - Trilogy.

This is nice SLO, bar the MK1, it's my favourite Astra. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112170605486?a...3 Not checked the MOT history.

And. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111300098820?a...3

Edited by Trilogy. on 18/12/2021 at 22:01

Had a couple of those Mk III Astra’s as company motors over the years and I’ve flogged a fair number. Never went wrong, they were utterly solid but sadly they were also absolutely drab to drive. Even the GSi’s were no real fun other than in a straight line. Simple and solid. The ones you wanted were the 8v 1.4 mpi 82bhp petrol or the excellent higher output 82bhp 1.7 Isuzu turbo diesel which was near indestructible.

The Yaris T Sport 1.5 was a great wee mild hatch but that one’s definitely seen some paint at the front from the wheel arch covers which have been reattached by a blind man with a hammer. No big concern to see some paint repairs on an old car but I’d want it finished off properly and the trim reattached without big old self tappers.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/12/2021 at 22:12

Budget motoring weekly worthies - craig-pd130

Deleted the Jazz. Quick look at the Mot history shows why it’s up for sale. Structural rust is mentioned.

Hah, the online MoT history checker is an amazingly useful tool. Whenever I'm drooling over 'bargain' Merc S-class coupes and old Lexii 400/430s, a quick glance at the MoT history invariably brings me back to earth.

Need a small family auto? Unlike many newcomers we meet here who expect to find a reliable twin turbo diesel all wheel drive BMW, Mer or Volvo for £2000, this is what you should buy at that sort of money. Yes I know it’s seen a bit of paint (it’s two different colours) but it looks tidy and solid and has only had one owner meaning it’s been a very good little Civic.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2005-honda-...l
Budget motoring weekly worthies - Falkirk Bairn

pre 2005 Civic Type S always took my eye but never bought one. Not a looker but solid

tinyurl.com/y2aaffk8

Budget motoring weekly worthies - badbusdriver

Need a small family auto? Unlike many newcomers we meet here who expect to find a reliable twin turbo diesel all wheel drive BMW, Mer or Volvo for £2000, this is what you should buy at that sort of money. Yes I know it’s seen a bit of paint (it’s two different colours) but it looks tidy and solid and has only had one owner meaning it’s been a very good little Civic.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2005-honda-...l

My brother goes through cars pretty quickly and has never really grown out of the 'Boy Racer' phase. But the latest thing he has his eye on is a VW Tourag V10 TDI which has cropped up locally. He hasn't mentioned how much the asking price is, but knowing my brother, it will be very much at the bottom of the scale. Meaning many, many miles, gaps in the service history (if indeed there is any), many owners, probably not that great condition. In short, something he really shouldn't touch with a barge pole!.

Possibly the only plus point is that his son is a mechanic with a particular interest in unusual and/or retro machines (current steed is a VW Vento!). But that isn't going to help with the cost of replacement parts on such a complex and heavy (2.6 tonnes!) machine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the deal doesn't happen!.

Budget motoring weekly worthies - kiss (keep it simple)

If he gets the Toerag I would be very interested to hear how he gets on with it. The words bargepole, touch and don't, spring to mind.

Edited by kiss (keep it simple) on 19/12/2021 at 11:31

Budget motoring weekly worthies - RT

If he gets the Toerag I would be very interested to hear how he gets on with it. The words bargepole, touch and don't, spring to mind.

The problem with the Touareg V10 is that it needed different oil specification to all the other VW Group engines but was often just given the same as VW common rail diesels - once they get old and leggy, many otherwise simple jobs need the engine out

“ I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the deal doesn't happen!.”

I actually quite enjoy being proved right so I often take cruel pleasure in watching it unfold. There is currently an elderly Range Rover Sport 2.7 diesel parked with its throat cut in our depot as a monument to this very thing after a colleague bought it for £5,500 not long back. In this case there was no pleasure as he’s someone I like but I was proved right. It’ll end up going for scrap and the £5,500 will become a few hundred quid. Something ordinary working folks can’t wear often.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/12/2021 at 13:14

pre 2005 Civic Type S always took my eye but never bought one. Not a looker but solid

tinyurl.com/y2aaffk8

One of the best used small family cars you could buy. The Type S had plenty of go with 160PS 2.0 VTEC motor but wasn’t as hard riding as the Type R and you had 5 doors. I rated them and still do if you can find a tidy one.
Budget motoring weekly worthies - joegrundy

Bought a car for D-i-L over the weekend (via Gumtree) and it reinforced my view that if you can find a genuine car from a genuine seller you can't hang about, even if perhaps it wasn't on your short list. Indeed, at the price range I was looking at, your short list is a bit irrelevant - condition is everything.

This was a 2013 Fiat Panda 1.2 Pop, 108k miles, £1500. Completely clear MOT history except the last one (a month ago) when a wheel bearing was identified - immediately replaced and re-tested.

The seller had owned the car from new and it had been the main/only family car (they had owned two previous Pandas and stuck with them as found them so satisfactory). Children had learned to drive in it. Now surplus to requirements.

The sellers were very genuine and 100% honest. The car the same. Some minor bumper scrapes etc. Perhaps more importantly for confidence in buying, it was clear that they were prominent and successful in their professions and well able to 'maintain regardless of cost' as the saying goes. The history folder (well presented, tabbed, chronological order) shows full main dealer service history, invoices for new tyres a few months ago, new battery, timing belt changes, etc.. It seems that anything required or suggested was done without question. It recently did a 500 mile round trip without issue.

I paid the asking price without negotiation. It seemed extremely reasonable to me, especially when compared to the HJ valuation which was substantially more.. It was nice to walk away from a deal where both parties were happy.

It should be perfect for DiL, whose main use is local driving but with regular trips on the (poor) coastal road to North Wales. I certainly have confidence in the car for those trips with my young granddaughters on board - which was the point of the exercise.

So, to summarise:

Genuine cars and sellers don't come up that often and you may have to act fast

Condition and honest history are everything.

There was a bonus - when I went with DiL to collect car I was given some home-made mince pies. And yes, they were very good.

Big fan of the Panda, especially that particular generation. Simple, practical, cheap to buy and cheap to run while generally robust and easy to fix if you stick to the old 1.2 petrol which dates back to the 90’s. Don’t see many with 100k plus mileages but as long as it was properly maintained there’s no real reason why it can’t do plenty more. At that money even if an engine were required (they’re cheap and easy to find) it wouldn’t be a disaster anyway. Well bought.

Thanks. I've never driven one of these before, so didn't have anything to compare it to. But this feels like a much lower mileage car, It responds well, everything works fine, and it just seems to be a practical, well-maintained, 'suitable' car.

Having seen so much 'dross' for sale I was pleased with this. Time will tell, of course, but I feel that if we can keep this well-maintained it should do the job for a while.

Now the question will arise in a few months do we take it to the local main dealer who 'Knows the car' for service etc. or my indie.

Gut feeling is the main dealer to maintain service history.

I wouldn’t go to the main dealer with a simple thing like that. Any half decent indi can maintain a Panda and they’ll find ways to save you money. With simple older cars like this it’s wise to build up a relationship with a good local independent garage for repairs and maintenance. I have an excellent local I use to keep old Terrance the Toyota running and he gets both cars for Mot’s as I trust the main dealer not one jot. They get the Volvo for servicing purely due to the complexity of the thing and for value retention.