What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - ifekas

Last year I asked for advice on whether to swap cars as I had a 2010 KIA Ceed auto estate. One of the recommendations that I looked at was an Astra estate which on paper looked good and reliable; but I didn’t like it and decided to hang onto the Ceed for another year or so. It has been trouble free and has only just passed the MoT again.

But despite the car prices currently being inflated, I decided to replace the Ceed with a newer 18 plate Ceed. It was difficult to justify the extra 2k for an estate so I opted for a petrol DCT hatchback.

Although on paper the newer petrol Ceed has significantly more power (140bhp compared to 115), in normal driving it feels much slower. I suppose this is partly down to the engine, but presumably the newer car is heavier, and the gearbox non TC. The 1.4TGDi isn’t a bad engine but just doesn’t have the seemingly effortless acceleration of the 1.6 CRDi auto regardless of what speed one is doing; I’ve tried the sports mode to see if that’s any better, but in that mode the engine is just too frantic and noisy.

Nevertheless, with diesel out of fashion I think it was the sensible choice to make. The petrol is fine really and has sufficient power, but the CRDi was/is something special!

And yes I know that DCTs are complicated beasts and I would have preferred a torque converter auto; but compromises need to be made, and the KIA will be under warranty for a couple more years.

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - _

Hopefully you got it from a Kia dealer and with a full kia service history.

Get it serviced by Kia to maintain the warranty.

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - movilogo

I have a 2014 Ceed petrol DCT with 59k on the clock with full service history by Kia. It is OK so far and DCT is responsive. 99% cases it shifts correctly but 1% cases it misjudges my intention and pre-selects wrong gear and then quickly selects correct gear but I can feel the millisecond lag and bit of judder. But this is typical with any DCT.

It was difficult to justify the extra 2k for an estate

It is a personal choice but I wish I got the estate version :-) When I bought my current car SW was not available in petrol auto version.

It is a personal choice but I wish I got the estate version :-) When I bought my current car SW was not available in petrol auto version.

Don't say that ;-). Even when moving stuff from the old Ceed to the new I am missing the space,and unrelated to it being a hatch there is less usable space inside. The centre binnacle between the front seats used to have two levels, and I found the top level useful for things like pens and lip balm; the door pockets on both the front and back have halved in length maybe due to better side impact protection?

There is a lot to like so it's not all bad!

ORB yes I made sure I bought it from a KIA dealer and has full KIA service history, having been burned the last time! Even when my old Ceed was out of warranty I continued to have it serviced by the local KIA dealer; there didn't seem to be a massive difference in the price though I had the brake pads etc done elsewhere.

The funny thing is that although I was told there is a 160 point check blah blah blah for the KIA used cars, they somehow overlooked that the car needed a service in 1,000 miles! They have promised to cover this which sort of works to my advantage in that the costs of running the car will be a bit staggered.

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - Metropolis.
The petrol is probably much less torquey than the diesel you had before, it can make a huge difference in everyday driving

I thought modern turbo petrol engines are able to generate almost equal amount of torque, thus negating the torque advantage of diesel engines.

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - thunderbird

The petrol is probably much less torquey than the diesel you had before, it can make a huge difference in everyday driving

Just looked on the web and the Ceed CRDi the OP owned had 188 torques between 1750 and 3000 rpm. The 1.4 T-GDi has 180 torques between 1500 and 3200 rpm.

So on paper not much difference but I would expect the simple fact the T-GDi has 25 more bhp for it to be a fair bit more lively.

Using our Focus 1.6 TDCi and Fabia 1.0 TSi that followed it as an example both are rated as 110 PS but the Fabia is 148 torques whereas the Focus was 170 torques. On the road its night and day, the Fabia is much livelier (but its also a bit lighter).

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - badbusdriver

Utterly inexplicable that the OP's old new Ceed "feels much slower" than the old diesel. In addition to having much more power and only a little less torque (coming in at slightly lower revs), the newer Ceed is more than 250kg lighter than the old diesel.

I'm possibly closer to this conundrum than most given we used to have a (2014) Hyundai i30 turbo diesel auto which had (presumably) the same engine (albeit at 110bhp) and box. I found it pretty quick of the mark (it would spin the tyres in the dry), and had perfectly acceptable performance being driven up to about 8 tenths. Above that, I found the gearbox seemed to be out of kilter with the engine. Floor the throttle to overtake from 40mph+ as quickly as possible and you'd find yourself in too low a gear, with the engine speed at a point where the power had come and gone. So you'd have to back off the throttle slightly in order for it to change up a gear, not cool!. Of course it wasn't designed for that kind of use, but t did grate slightly (especially given how perfectly 'in sync' the transmission/engine in the Jazz CVT we had next was). But all in all, I liked the i30 well enough, it was comfortable, fairly refined and had enough space for our needs.

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - Premierkit

I had a Hyundai i30 CRDI bought 9 months old in 2010 it was the last of the non DPF models and I used it mostly for regular 100 mile journeys on motorways. I had it serviced annually at my local garage and it was ultra reliable and at 120k miles had never missed a beat. I intended to keep it for as long as possible, no DPF problems, £30 annual road tax and good mpg, but earlier this year it was left parked on the road overnight and some i**** crashed into it and wrote it off. It is also dearly missed.

Yes, mine was one of the last of the non DPF Ceeds (late 2010); If HJ were around I think he would approve as there was no DMF either ;-) Though being an auto my road tax was over 200 pounds.

I wondered whether it would be difficult to sell due to diesels going out of fashion, but I was wrong and I had more than one person offering my asking price - it would appear that because supply is so limited even for older cars, buyers are perhaps less picky on makes/models.

I wonder maybe if the old fashioned four speed TC gearbox was a very good match for the CRDi 115. Even at motorway speeds the revs were low but if you needed to accelerate smoothly the power was available pretty much immediately without the car changing down a gear.

Not related to the power, but the other thing that seems worse with the newer Ceed is that if you have the cruise control set and use the + button to increase the speed by one or two mph after about a second of inputting the change there is a jerk while the car suddenly increases power quite unnecessarily considering the small amount of extra speed needed. I haven't been on any long distances in the past couple of days so will need to monitor this; in the worst case I can just cancel cruise and then reset it at a higher speed,

Kia Cee'd Sportswagon - Goodbye CRDi, you will be missed - badbusdriver

Not related to the power, but the other thing that seems worse with the newer Ceed is that if you have the cruise control set and use the + button to increase the speed by one or two mph after about a second of inputting the change there is a jerk while the car suddenly increases power quite unnecessarily considering the small amount of extra speed needed. I haven't been on any long distances in the past couple of days so will need to monitor this; in the worst case I can just cancel cruise and then reset it at a higher speed,

If there is a jerk, I'm guessing it is a gear change. Most modern auto's have lots of gears and have very long gearing. In the case of the newer Ceed, there are seven gears, so depending on the speed you are doing, I could well see a gear change resulting (possibly even dropping a couple of gears) for even a small increase in speed.

My Ceed has 6 gears while newer ones have 7 gears. Typically pressing + or - increases/reduces speed by 2 MPH. I use cruise control in all sorts of speeds 40-75 MPH. Only place I ever experienced jerk is when road is an upward incline and the car needs to down shift in order to climb. But with 7 gears, I think one will experience more shifts.

I think in DCTs, some occasional jerk is unavoidable. In TC type the fluid coupling takes care of the jerking, though in higher gears transmission often use direct connection bypassing fluid coupling.

Edited by movilogo on 14/12/2021 at 07:44