What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka 2013 petrol - Ka mk2 gear problems - Sophie Ellett

Hi all wonder if someone could advise please, i have ka 2013 petrol.

I have an intermittent problem in that after a longish journey when i stop i cant put my car into gear and it just grinds.

I have no problems normally with the clutch, no excess travel or slipping and most days have no problems with gears.

This happens typically with journeys over an hour so guessing when everything is hot.

My local garage says my gearbox is going so need new box and clutch.

Could he be right or just trying to make money out of me...

Thanks sophie

Ford Ka 2013 petrol - Ka mk2 gear problems - elekie&a/c doctor

This vehicle is basically a re-badged fiat 500. Gearbox problems on these are fairly common, but are usually associated with rumbling or grinding noises when driving. I suspect your problem is more in keeping with a clutch issue.

Thank you for your help, i have no noises from gearbox so might need clutch changing then.

Thank you Sophie

Ford Ka 2013 petrol - Ka mk2 gear problems - Rerepo

Well known problem due to a failure of the clutch pressure plate (fingers break/bend). You need a full replacement clutch kit. Not the end of the world on a 2013 car.

Thank you kindly any ideas on what price I'll be looking at.

Ford Ka 2013 petrol - Ka mk2 gear problems - Rerepo

The clutch kit is in the region £70-100, depending on brand (Luk, Sachs and Valeo are good brands). The job takes in the region of 5 hours so total cost with labour is likely to be in the region £350-550 at an independent repairer, depending on labour rates in your part of the world. If the car has done 50k+ miles ask the garage to also replace the clutch fork and bushes - its a part that wears and won't add significantly to the final bill.

Ford Ka 2013 petrol - Ka mk2 gear problems - sammy1

I would be extremely reluctant to take it back to the place that said you needed a gearbox as well as the clutch, Try a few places for diagnosis and price.

Thank you all for your advice, took my car to a different garage who test drove it and said there doesn't seem a problem with clutch or box but maybe a lack of oil in box so they are re doing box oil also clutch fluid renewing i believe, and also check cable isn't seizing up.

Thank you all for your advice soph

Ford Ka 2013 petrol - Ka mk2 gear problems - mblago
Hi Sophie…..my wife has exactly the same problem with her KA, did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing it, was it a new clutch? Many thanks. Mike