What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - Steve j
I?ve just purchased a Corolla, and it is booked in for a replacement bonnet as the existing one is incorrectly shaped at the edge giving an odd panel gap at the driver?s side wing junction. Part of the dash does not fit correctly (relatively minor). Is the build quality going down hill with this model?
I also appear to be grinding second gear occasionally, this occurs when changing up to second with the clutch fully down any one any ideas why this is occurring?
I am a bit disappointed that the car has faults, given the reputation of the car maker.
Any one with similar problems ?
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - Baskerville
Has it been in a crash? Why did you buy it if you thought the build quality was iffy? Was it very cheap (see point one above)?
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - flatfour
Company Car Magazine are testing an Avensis on long term, they have had problems selecting 5th gear and the latest report says the gearstick has a bad vibration at 80mph. Are Toyota going through a bad phase?
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - Aprilia
Knowing Toyota, I doubt that Steve's car left the factory in the condition he describes. Sounds like its had a bump to me.
See reply to Chris and i would comment that the salesman said it was the first time he's had this problem on a new car sold. Part of my reason for buying the car was the rep of the company and good comments from owners I've talked to.
For info only I was told cars can be released from the factory with faults in the case of an "English mass car maker" it was upto 21 faults and a "German mass car maker" 3 faults.
Chris, Its a brand new car with 1mile on the clock. The dealer is going to replace the bonnet and sort out the dash fit problem. I did sign for the car as they assured me the faults would be corrected
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - Baskerville
Wow. From the way you put it I thought it was second hand. It's still possible it had a "hard landing" off the transporter though, as Aprilia implies I think.
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - DeeJay
The bad fit of the centre panel in the dash( contains the radio/CD player) is a known defect for which a mod. has now been produced . The securing clips are not strong enough and redesigned ones are now available . Second gear engagement is often a little "notchy" but grinding is an unusual fault .
Ive travelled approx 150 miles in the last day or so with out the grind in second. The gear box is getting less notchy as well so i feel it may be just the gearbox or linkage running in as the car is new (now with 600 miles on the clock).
Cheers for the info re: central panel fit
Ah, I didn't realise it was so new.
I would give the gearbox a couple 1000 miles to loosen up and see how it goes.
Going to do so. I will keep "backroom" informed with regard to the level of service and if the problems are sorted out. I would add that i am v happy with the car as a whole and the service thus far.

Dear all,

Service has been spot on a new bonnet fitted( how ever be aware that a number of bonnets are mis shaped at the wing junction on the cars ive looked at)Dash sorted and gearbox grind has gone. 10k done in 3 months at an average of 56mpg and its cracking for overtaking in 2nd gear.

Steve
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - runboy
Steve

What model Corolla is it? (I have a 2003 1.6 T-Spirit).

My new Corolla has suffered many creaks, knocks, and other weird noises since day one. I gave up with the dealer trying to find them and went about putting felt pads and other soft stuff around the boot, cabin, under number plate etc. Most have been cured, but there is still one annoying knocking noise I have given up on the dealer ever finding what it is. But why should I live with it?

The inlet manifold has been replaced with a modified version, and the radio has dropped in the dash leaving a gap at the top, but I don't want the dealer to replace the whole top of the dash (this is what it takes to cure the gap on my car) as I'm sure it will open up even more creaks!

The engine mounts have been replaced with modified versions.

The sunroof leaked.

I too have the problem with 2nd gear. I have never graunched a gearbox so much in my life. You think 2nd has selected only to find it hasn't-you need a firm pull back and never hurry a 1st to 2nd change-it just won't go!

I'm going back to SEAT next time I change my car.
Run boy

It?s a D4D T3 2003

I was considering the top sports Corolla at one point but in my research I found a number of owners had similar problems as yours (creaks from the rear hatch area, manifold problems, radio fit problems?????) given the number of problem that seem to be related solely to that model I gave it a miss. I think one of the chaps who replied to my initial message may be worth contacting as his comments on the radio fit problems was bag on (as confirmed with the dealer the clips holding it in are not up to standard and new stronger clips are now used)I think he must work for Toyota.

The annoying knocking noise will be a suspension related problem from the front end (I?m 99% sure I?ve seen this in a test drive report or comment from somebody in a review of the car (it may be one of parkers owner reviews on the web)).

You may be right about the dash creaks if a new dash is fitted!

Your correct re: ??? think 2nd has selected only to find it hasn't-you need a firm pull back and never hurry a 1st to 2nd change-it just won't go ??? Mine seems to have got a lot better since I got it 4 months 10K miles ago (from new). It hasn?t done it for about 5k miles.

Your right with regard to living with it, I would contact Toyota UK direct and try and sort something out with them. I think I was luck with Border Toyota Carlisle and the Sales man Paul who has helped a lot with resolving my problems (I?m an old hand at dealing with problem cars as I use to have a Rover 200 S reg 98 say no more).

I will not buy another car built in the UK (like the Corolla)as I don?t think the work force are capable of building mass market cars to the same standards as other countries. I would also steer clear of golf?s as most people I now with one say they?ve had numerous problems (hence my Corolla choice)

Good luck

Steve
I will not buy another car built in the UK (like
the Corolla)as I don?t think the work force are capable of
building mass market cars to the same standards as other countries.
I would also steer clear of golf?s as most people I
now with one say they?ve had numerous problems (hence my Corolla
choice)
Good luck
Steve

I work in the motor industry and the 'work force' generally have little to do with how reliable or durable a vehicle turns out to be.
The Toyota faults you mention (weak clips, dash creaks etc.) are all basically design faults and presumably were hatched in Tokyo.

British assmebly standards are pretty good - poor education is the main problem c.f. the Germans, for example. Having said that a lot of German car components are now sourced in Eastern Europe and they have much bigger problems with their workers than we do in the UK (mind you, they pay them a great deal less...).
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - arnold2
I work in the motor industry and the 'work force' generally
have little to do with how reliable or durable a vehicle
turns out to be.
The Toyota faults you mention (weak clips, dash creaks etc.) are
all basically design faults and presumably were hatched in Tokyo.

I would agree entirely - after all, the Swindon Honda Civics, cars in the same class as the Corolla, have very good build...
Aprilia

I see your point and its a good one, but i do feel there are such things as friday afternoon cars.

Friday afternoon cars are pretty rare nowadays. The early production vehicles can be a bit dodgy because there can be tooling problems and the track flow may not be properly sorted etc. etc. I personally would always wait until a new model has been 'de-bugged' before I spent my own cash on one.

Modern car workers are really just 'biological robots'.
Corolla build quality gearbox grind - Arty
You\'ve just simply bought yourself a lemon. Pink fluffy dice like this happens.

Out of a say 100 cars on the factory floor you\'ve scored the dud. Lately there\'s been pressure on authorities to provide some form of consumer protection for lemon purchasers.
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - Arty
PS: Taken off www.drive.com.au ; deals purely with Oz and sorry for it being so long.

I can't believe it's not better
By Peter McKay
The Sydney Morning Herald
Tuesday August 19 2003

When a new car turns out to be a lemon, NSW buyers have revamped consumer legislation in their favour. Some buyers are still bitter. Peter McKay reports.
Early this year, Anastasia Joyce, her husband and three children, all of Sydney, were travelling towards Warwick, Queensland in their two-year-old Mercedes-Benz four-wheel drive. About 10pm, the vehicle's dash lights began flashing, the engine lost power and the $110,000 ML430 slowed alarmingly as a semi-trailer loomed large in the rear-view mirror.

As the Mercedes faltered -- its speedo needle leaping erratically -- the truck behind braked and swerved to the wrong side of the road, its horn blasting a warning. "It was really quite frightening," Joyce recalled.

Stunned, the family set about seeking help. Mercedes-Benz has a reassuring 24-hour emergency hotline, but her mobile phone was in a communications black hole.

Soon after, the Joyces got the ML430 started, without any dash lights -- only to have the same fault reappear after about 20 minutes under way. The Mercedes hotline, now contactable, advised to try once more and drive slowly.

The family reached Warwick at 11.30. The following day, en route to Armidale, the Mercedes developed the intermittent staggers again. It reached Tenterfield, where the family left it with the NRMA and hired a car.

The ML430, a well-kept vehicle with no crash history and just 11,500km on the odo, is the centre of continuing negotiations between Ms Joyce and Mercedes-Benz.

She wants a new, replacement ML430 or even a smaller-engined ML320, or financial compensation. Her troublesome car, in which she has lost all confidence, is "a new car which should be replaced with a new car".

A Sydney Mercedes dealership -- which, she says, has been very helpful and sympathetic -- advised that her ML had an electrical module fault. The trip computer was replaced because of some history of faults with this component in ML Benzes.

The fault has not come back. But, seven months later, the ML is rarely driven and stands in the garage. "We don't want to gamble on taking the vehicle into the country again where we feel the problem will return," Ms Joyce told Drive. "We do not feel safe in this particular vehicle."

Mercedes-Benz Australia told Drive that its dealer addressed Ms Joyce's concerns by replacing a faulty trip computer.

"As the satisfaction and safety of our customers is a core value," the company said, "we conducted extensive road testing of the vehicle, during which time Ms Joyce was supplied an E Class Estate loan car.

"However after several weeks of testing we could not fault the vehicle so it was returned to Ms Joyce. We are confident the problem will not recur."

So is Anastasia Joyce's Mercedes a lemon -- a vehicle riddled with faults -- or merely one of many that have faults fixed under warranty?

It is hard to say. However, despite large improvements in manufacturing quality over the past decade, some substandard cars continue to slip through the net.

All car makers receive complaints from owners. Some are justified. Others are unreasonable and perhaps inspired by customers getting into financial difficulties after buying a car, or realising they've made an inappropriate choice.

The latter type of complainant, say car dealers and company customer relations staff, are easy to spot. They demand a refund, not rectification or replacement, and nothing else will satisfy them.

Amendments last year to the NSW Motor Dealers Act of 1977 enable the independent Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal to determine a dispute. If it finds in favour of the consumer it can make an order for compensation -- ranging up to the replacement of a new motor vehicle.

advertisement

advertisement

That said, the NSW Office of Fair Trading could furnish no examples of an aggrieved owner, having bought an acknowledged lemon, getting a new vehicle or substantial compensation (there was just one Yamaha motorcycle, valued at $2000).

This suggests cars have become almost unbelievably reliable -- or the system isn't delivering.

A spokesman for Fair Trading suggests a third alternative: some matters are resolved before a formal hearing occurs. Certainly there is evidence of car makers quietly replacing vehicles before owners make a noise.

In comparison, in the US -- where legislation defines exactly what constitutes a lemon -- car companies are forced to buy back more than 100,000 faulty cars each year (see breakout, below).

"There is no particular reason to provide a definition of a lemon here," says the Fair Trading spokesman. "It would be a very difficult thing to do and it may hinder what the tribunal could hear."

Not everyone is convinced, with Alan Finlay from NRMA Motoring and Services saying "car purchasers do not really know where they stand if the vehicle is defective".

He believes a clear definition of a lemon would be worth pursuing, but concedes "it would be very difficult to frame legislation to actually define it".

Before the tribunal can arbitrate, the vehicle should be returned to the dealer to rectify.

If faults are not fixed under warranty to the owner's satisfaction, the next recourse could be the tribunal.

The tribunal can adjudicate on disputes involving all new vehicles in private use, regardless of value. Other than an initial application fee, there are no legal expenses -- although the tribunal can award costs against the complainant if the matter is considered vexatious or frivolous.

Previously, disputes were resolved by the Motor Dealers Disputes Committee, made up of representives of Fair Trading, the NRMA, the car builders' section of the metalworkers' union, the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (the car industry lobby) and, representing dealers, the Motor Traders Association. The committee made recommendations to the director-general of the Office of Fair Trading, but had no power to order replacement or refunds.

Written judgements published on the tribunal's website (www.cttt.nsw.gov.au) make fascinating reading. Applications range from a few hundred dollars for unsatisfactory window tinting, through to demands for a brand new vehicle.

In Pearson v Geoff King Autocare Coffs Harbour and Land Rover Australia, the applicant claimed $48,000 or a new replacement vehicle, following a claimed litany of problems suffered over two years with a Land Rover Freelander.

The complaint listed excessive tyre wear, steering problems, burned out clutches, brake failure, power steering leaks and a lack of power and said the vehicle spent more than 100 days in the dealership.

Claiming the vehicle was not of merchantable quality, the applicant said, "I seek a replacement vehicle. I do not want a Land Rover as this has caused me undue stress and life changes." He said he now took medication for anxiety and depression because of his car problems.

The respondents said they had replaced defective items under warranty, and several "wear and tear" items such as tyres and clutches as an act of good faith, even though they believed the premature wear "can be attributed to misuse of the vehicle".

They had also supplied the owner with a hire car at no cost while these repairs were done, had paid for towing and other costs and made other goodwill gestures.

"Land Rover does not believe the evidence supports the applicant's claim that the vehicle is a 'lemon'. The vehicle was recalled on a couple of occasions to rectify manufacturing problems, this is normal procedure."

The tribunal dismissed the application. It found there had been inconvenience caused by delays in repairs being completed, but said the respondents had provided fair compensation, paying for things such as the clutch assemblies "which are clearly not due to manufacturing fault or defect".

"The tribunal is not satisfied ... that there were misrepresentations ... or that the vehicle is a lemon."

It took nearly a year and eight trips to a dealer to fix the fuel gauge in Anna Sholkie's Mitsubishi Verada wagon. The gauge didn't work accurately when she took delivery of the car in June last year, showing empty when it was really about half full.

It wasn't a life-threatening fault, but a frustrating and unnecessary one. If it happened in California she would have been entitled to a replacement new car.

Each time the car went back to the workshop, the parts were either unavailable or the work done did not rectify the fault.

In early May she complained to Mitsubishi head office in Adelaide. An emailed response explained the part was out of stock and had to come from Japan.

She was perplexed. Why couldn't Mitsubishi pluck the part from the production line? Or why couldn't the dealer take the part from a car in stock?

Finally, in early June, a new gauge cluster was fitted and the problem now appears to have been solved.

"Apart from the fuel gauge fault, I'm really happy with the car - this is my second one," she says. "But it shouldn't have taken the dealership and Mitsubishi almost a year to correct." Mitsubishi's response: "We couldn't get a part off the line because the Sholkies' car was a KJ Series 1, and the cars being built down the line at the time of the latest problem were for KJ Series 2.

"The meter cluster changed over that time, meaning we couldn't get one off the line that would be compatible with the Sholkie's car. After a bit of a search we located one, and the problem is solved as far as we know."

A former executive with a luxury vehicle importer admits that, during a particularly rough time for the brand he was selling, he was obliged to buy back quietly between five and 10 vehicles a year from disgruntled owners.

He concedes most complaints were justified, but says others were very suspect -- often following changes in the owners' personal circumstances which meant they probably could not afford the repayments. "But they were making a lot of noise so we figured we had to buy them off to shut them up."

Now out of the car business, the former executive believes many manufacturers do new-for-used swaps on a similar scale -- though none who spoke to Drive admitted as much.

Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - misterp
Just to redress the balance here ,I purchased a T3 D4D 114 bhp just over a month ago.
(Touching wood) I have been delighted with the build quality and level of interior fittings,as I have with the car generally. We are at 1200 miles and averaging 47mpg overall.Sometimes there is a slight reluctance to engage reverse on start up but otherwise as yet I cannot fualt this machine at all.
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - John Shelton
Aprilia is quite correct as I have direct experience of working at Toyota motor manufacturing and I will repeat what I said in a long forgotton thread, between 20 and 40 cars per shift that left the Toyota factory (there were 2 shifts per day) were classed a "B" ranked ie they had serious enough faults to be classed as lower than normal "A" rank cars in terms of quality. Remember that a Toyota quality control worker only has 57 seconds to correct any fault on a car in his work sector before the car moves past his workstation, with the exception of the painshop and paint hsopital where a car can be "detracked" for more serious fault resolution.
Steve
My Corolla isn't the top sport one, that's the 1.8 T-Sport which I read elsewhere has it's own engine and quality issues. My T-Spirit is the top range of the "normal" Corolla. The thing is I like the performance, fuel economy, equipment, ride etc.

It's these niggling problems which wear you down. Toyota UK don't put any pressure on the dealer to fix the car first time round (I have been back to my dealer 3+ times for the same issue).

I think What Car? sum the Corolla up when they say it doesn't shine in any area, just does a steady job. And compared to Corollas of old, is more stylish and thought out.

I agree SEAT (and I had the Leon 2 cars before the Corolla-more on that in a minute) does have it's share of problems-leaks and coil packs mainly, but the dealer does at least sort thing out ASAP, without fuss and with an apology-something my Toyota dealer can never master.

Before the Corolla I had an Audi A2. It was replaced by the dealer due to problems. The 2nd A2 had a different set of problems and I should have rejected that, but instead had to sell and suffer a £5k+ loss in 4 months. So I put Audi in the same league as Toyota-claim quality but just don't deliver.

All this is my experience though-other drivers suffer far less than me.
arnold2 + Steve

Also:

Interesting about your comments on the gearbox. Would the motoring press put this down as a "trait" of the Corolla?

Or is there something more sinister going on here?

And:

Interesting how Toyota have made revised engine mounts, manifold inlet and radio/dash support available-this isn't down to poor workmanship at the factory-just poor design.
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - arnold2
Interesting that Toyota have had to make so many design changes to all the NEW (ie non Japanese) bits in the new Corolla....

And why was it that the new Corolla costs, model for model, more than the old, Japanese built, job ?
Since the car is now made in England you would have thought that the price would go down !
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - John Shelton
The new Corrolla cost £2500 to make at the end of the production line in 2002, The older Corrolla model cost £3500 to make as an average value per unit.
Corolla build quality+gearbox grind - NowWheels
The new Corrolla cost £2500 to make at the end of
the production line in 2002, The older Corrolla model cost £3500
to make as an average value per unit.

A near-30% fall in construction costs? Are you sure?

That's a staggering achievement, and it seems unlikely to me -- could it just be a consequence of exchange-rate fluctuations, or is it really due to cheaper construction/improved eficiency etc?