What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Winter tyres. - kiss (keep it simple)

Just come back from a snowy weekend in the Peak District. Big thumbs up for Michelin Cross-Climate tyres. Absolute mayhem in hotel car park last night and this morning. We managed to negotiate slush, black ice and the like with hardly a trace of wheel spin. Audi Quattro struggled up a tricky slope in the car park and I sailed up it with no trouble at all.

Any - Winter tyres. - RT

The Michelin Cross-Climate is an All-Season tyre rather than a full Winter tyre but has M+S / 3PMSF so good in moderate winter conditions - and can be used in summer unlike a full Winter tyre

Any - Winter tyres. - Smileyman

Great to read your real life experiences, pleased to hear the tyre works well, I look forwards to seeing some snow in my corner of Kent coast sometime soon!

Any - Winter tyres. - madf

Those experiences mirror mine with CCs which I have had for 4 years..

Excellent tyres.

Any - Winter tyres. - John F

I have never made a direct comparison, but from the feel of them in fresh snow I think our old Focus on its winter tyres would do just as well and possible better than my Audi quattro with its wider 'normal' summer tyres. But for really bad performance in ice/snow I doubt if you can get worse than a TR7. I once needed a push in a perfectly level car park!

Any - Winter tyres. - thunderbird

But for really bad performance in ice/snow I doubt if you can get worse than a TR7. I once needed a push in a perfectly level car park!

Back about 40 years ago we had a builder come round to quote for some work. He came in his wifes TR7. Middle of winter and the street was covered in packed snow/ice, it was never treated or cleared. When he came to leave the car would not budge, just sat spinning its wheels on what was a level surface. Tried to push it and still going nowhere. So he put it in gear, let the clutch out, got out and we both pushed, that got it moving and it was quite novel to watch him running after the car.

Any - Winter tyres. - madf

But for really bad performance in ice/snow I doubt if you can get worse than a TR7. I once needed a push in a perfectly level car park!

Back about 40 years ago we had a builder come round to quote for some work. He came in his wifes TR7. Middle of winter and the street was covered in packed snow/ice, it was never treated or cleared. When he came to leave the car would not budge, just sat spinning its wheels on what was a level surface. Tried to push it and still going nowhere. So he put it in gear, let the clutch out, got out and we both pushed, that got it moving and it was quite novel to watch him running after the car.

Mazda MX-5 are as bad.

As were RWD BMWs before traction control..

But my 1953 Austin A30 with RWD and narrow tyres went through drifts like a dream - winter tyres at the rear (When a student in the sixties)

Any - Winter tyres. - Engineer Andy

Mazda MX-5 are as bad.

As were RWD BMWs before traction control..

But my 1953 Austin A30 with RWD and narrow tyres went through drifts like a dream - winter tyres at the rear (When a student in the sixties)

My former neighbour owned a BMW 3-Series Compact 2.5 petrol (RWD) and I can vouch for how bad they were (admitedly with summer tyres) in the snow/icy winter conditions. Even going up a very shallow incline and getting in/out of their parking space was nigh on impossible, with terrible wheel spin (it was almost comical how bad it was).

My front wheel drive Mazda3 never had a problem, even when shod on summer tyres, even with the OEM Bridgestones which, after 6 years (but stil only half worn) were terrible in the wet (and why I replaced them).

Another neighbour who then owned a RWD Passat had similar issues.

I wonder what would've happened had those cars been fitted with all season tyres (no chance of winter tyres unless they had them stored offsite - we live in flats with little storage space [certianly not enough for 4 tyres for each person]).

Any - Winter tyres. - thunderbird

There has never been a RWD Passat. Friend of Dads bought one in the mid 70's and that was FWD, probably the first of the new generation of VW's after the Beetle family (forgetting the very forgetable K70), think it came onto the market before the Mk1 Golf.

Other than the Syncro/4motion versions all VW's have been FWD until this new generation of EV's.

What is probably confusing you is early Passats shared the longitudinal engine layout with Audis instead of the transverse layout used by the Golf etc.

There has never been a RWD Passat. Friend of Dads bought one in the mid 70's and that was FWD, probably the first of the new generation of VW's after the Beetle family (forgetting the very forgetable K70), think it came onto the market before the Mk1 Golf.

Other than the Syncro/4motion versions all VW's have been FWD until this new generation of EV's.

What is probably confusing you is early Passats shared the longitudinal engine layout with Audis instead of the transverse layout used by the Golf etc.

I stand corrected. Her (diesel) estate was though always having traction/handling problems in the snow, and I assumed (wrong as it turned out) that the car was RWD. Maybe it was down to the car's large size and weight.

Anyway, thanks for the correction. Hers was, if I recall, from around 1999-2001.

Any - Winter tyres. - Big John

MKIV Ford Zodiac was nearly undriveable in snow/ice

Any - Winter tyres. - Bolt

I have never made a direct comparison, but from the feel of them in fresh snow I think our old Focus on its winter tyres would do just as well and possible better than my Audi quattro with its wider 'normal' summer tyres. But for really bad performance in ice/snow I doubt if you can get worse than a TR7. I once needed a push in a perfectly level car park!

You can, Triumph 2000 and 2.5 were the same, over 3 years I had both as they were selling cheap but the tyres were Dunlop and wouldn`t grip, took me on a hill, hour and a half to get 1/2 mile, but couldn`t leave car where it was stuck, so used a fortune in petrol trying to get back home

Any - Winter tyres. - Sparrow

Winter tyres make a huge difference on my BMW 3 series touring. I've run then from Dec to March for the last 3 winters. 16 inch wheels, narrower tyres, Pirelli zero runflats. Good for muddy slopes too. Highly recommended.

Winter tyres make a huge difference on my BMW 3 series touring. I've run then from Dec to March for the last 3 winters. 16 inch wheels, narrower tyres, Pirelli zero runflats. Good for muddy slopes too. Highly recommended.

I've been a fan of winter tyres, there is a hill on my old long term commute (no more - yay) that is notorious in bad white stuff - There used to be a gathering of rwd BMWs and Mercs at the bottom - probably ones without winter tyres! I particularly liked the Continental TS850 winter tyre.

However my current favourite is the Michelin Crossclimate. Performance still pretty good in the snow etc but amazing in torrential wet weather which to be honest is the usual issue here in the wilds of Yorkshire.

Any - Winter tyres. - edlithgow

Do many people really run "summer" and "winter" tyres in UK?

Can't remember that being a thing when I was there, but maybe I just wasn 't aware of it. Tyres were just what came with the banger, and if they needed replaced (rare) I got "Centurion" (IIRC) remoulds and fitted them myself.

Perhaps its a trend riding on increased affluence / safety concern, though I'd have thought the UK climate to be too unpredictable for dedicated seasonal tyres to be a good fit, and climate change might be expected to reduce the need.

Any - Winter tyres. - badbusdriver

Can't remember that being a thing when I was there, but maybe I just wasn 't aware of it. Tyres were just what came with the banger, and if they needed replaced (rare) I got "Centurion" (IIRC) remoulds and fitted them myself.

Perhaps its a trend riding on increased affluence / safety concern, though I'd have thought the UK climate to be too unpredictable for dedicated seasonal tyres to be a good fit, and climate change might be expected to reduce the need.

It does happen quite a lot, but I'm not sure even now it would happen with a banger!.

In the early 90's I worked at a SAAB dealer, and I remember customers back then who had two sets of tyres as we stored whichever wasn't in use.

But the growth in popularity (and the ability) of all season tyres renders having two seperate sets of tyres unnecessary for most.

It does happen quite a lot, but I'm not sure even now it would happen with a banger!.

In the early 90's I worked at a SAAB dealer, and I remember customers back then who had two sets of tyres as we stored whichever wasn't in use.

But the growth in popularity (and the ability) of all season tyres renders having two seperate sets of tyres unnecessary for most.

Especially with more and more modern homes not having sufficient storage for winter sets and many people converting their existing garage into extra dwelling area, often because their car is too big to fit and it being cheaper than building an extension.

I would be interested to see the precentages of each type of tyre on the roads in the Uk today compared with just 10 years ago. A/S tyres seem to be increasingly more popular.

Any - Winter tyres. - RT

I suspect the vast majority of Brits run summer tyres all year round and complain about the road authorities when it snows. The number who consider running summer/winters or all-seasons is very small but probably more than a decade or two ago.

I never considered them in the days when I ran 2wd cars, RWD Fords and then FWD Vauxhalls but I got to a point where I couldn't be sure of manoeuvring my caravan on wet grass so I switched to a 4wd Subaru followed by a 4wd Hyundai - in both cases I fitted All-Seasons when the OE tyres needed replacement - when I bought my present car, a 4wd VW Touareg I decided to spend money on an extra set of wheels and winter tyres but when the OE summer tyres needed replacing, I bought Vredestein All-Seasons as they, Michelin CrossClimate and Nokian Weatherproof are a newer type/design of all-seasons and seem adequate for my use in winter. I recently sold my winter set getting half my money back.

I suspect the vast majority of Brits run summer tyres all year round and complain about the road authorities when it snows. The number who consider running summer/winters or all-seasons is very small but probably more than a decade or two ago.

I agree, and would add that I'd also bet good money on the chief complainers being those with either wide, low profile tyres fitted to their car and/or those who let their tyres wear practically down to the canvas (or waiting for them to fail an MOT) before replacing (never mind checking for tread depth or condition) them.

More and more 'ordinary' (in terms of performance) cars are now fitted with such tyres, which, even in perfect condition, are not anywhere near as 'good' in snow as an equivalent with a lower width and higher profile for the same overall diameter.

That combined with bigger, heavier and more powerful cars in the hands of the overage driver, and and the pechant for people driving with a very heavy right foot means people are likely to find driving in snow more tricky. My former neighbour being a good example.

Probably depends on where you live. It's colder up north. I've had a few "brown trouser" moments with the white stuff in my 28 years of cross county commuting so it was a no brainer really. As some have mentioned storage of a spare set of wheels was the biggest issue. Better performance in heavy rain was a consideration as in Yorkshire we have a fair bit of that.

Edited by Big John on 09/12/2021 at 00:02

Probably depends on where you live. It's colder up north. I've had a few "brown trouser" moments with the white stuff in my 28 years of cross county commuting so it was a no brainer really. As some have mentioned storage of a spare set of wheels was the biggest issue. Better performance in heavy rain was a consideration as in Yorkshire we have a fair bit of that.

I suspect a large percentage of the population still don't understand that winter tyres aren't just for snow and ice, but working very well in all conditions when the temperature is below approx. 7degC, and especially the wet, because of the directional style of the tread pattern.

For that reason it's why I switched to (summer-biased) all season tyres, given I live in E. Anglia which gets little snow but the temperature can be below that threshold for several months. I think that the relatively small penalty in tyre performance in warmer months is vastly outweighed by far better winter performance.

For those further north, the more winter-biased all-season and winter tyres are a worthwhile option for safety and to reasonably ensure mobility in winter, if storage of the other set isn't an issue.

The price differential is in my view a lot less than it was 10 years ago. Admitedly, running two sets of tyres and wheels (if you go for smaller wheels and higher profile winter tyres to get even better snow grip) may be less suitable for people who regularly change their car, as the new owners may not want to buy them and they are possibly not compatible with the replacement car.

Any - Winter tyres. - Andy1970

I used to alternate between summer and a set of Avon winter tyres (can't remember which model) on my old Saab 9-3. I was amazed how much difference the winter tyres made in the snow. I'm currently running Michelin Cross Climates which seem to be just as good as the Avons were, although have now got very noisy after after about 15k miles.

Any - Winter tyres. - Oldboy

A pal in Manchester had an M3, one really cold winter his M3 just slid down his sloping drive all by itself !

We first got into Winter tyres 10 years ago when OH bought a new Mini in Inverness. Mini then offered a complete set (4) of winter tyres and steel wheels for £600. OH reckoned this was a revelation for winter driving. Interestingly, swapping wheels twice a year the “summer” Michelins literally rotted @ 8 years old while still only half worn & Michelin told us to get stuffed. These tyres were stored off the ground away from sunlight during the Winter 4 months, not impressed with Michelin who said their tyres were only good for 6 years.

So we bought a set of Vredestein All Season tyres, and the (still sound) winter tyres have hung on the shed wall for the last 2 winters.

Note to anyone considering two sets of tyres :

Our local garage charges £20 per wheel for swapping covers on rims, but only £10 for simply changing all 4 wheels. Yes-I could do a wheel swap myself, but for a Tenner (+ drink for fitter) happy for them to do it ! Spare rims pay for themselves pretty quickly, and tyre beads don’t suffer the damage of twice yearly removal and replacement.

So we bought a set of Vredestein All Season tyres, and the (still sound) winter tyres have hung on the shed wall for the last 2 winters.

I tried a set of Vredestein All Season Quatrac 5 tyres on my previous Superb mkI that lasted amazingly well. I sold the car with these still fitted and the new owner who I know managed to get 60k miles out of the set. They drove pretty well generally but they had a distinctive "sound" and I seem to remember the performance in wet conditions wasn't the best, especially setting off from a standing start.

With my current car a Superb mkII the winter tyres are the Continental TS850 and when the original summer tyres wore out I replaced the "summer" set with the fabulous Michelin Crossclimate. I'm still putting the TS850's on in the winter just to use them up/get my moneys worth (in Yorkshire!) but when they wear out I'll probably just fit Crossclimate's thereafter.

Edited by Big John on 10/12/2021 at 21:27