What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best vehicles for bad weather - RichT54

After reading the reports of the recent bad weather associated with Storm Arwen (fortunately not bad here in Berkshire) I realise that in really bad conditions (storm force winds, torrential rain, flooding or snow) the best advice would be not to travel at all, but if you absolutely had to, what vehicle models would members prefer to be driving?

Best vehicles for bad weather - RT

After reading the reports of the recent bad weather associated with Storm Arwen (fortunately not bad here in Berkshire) I realise that in really bad conditions (storm force winds, torrential rain, flooding or snow) the best advice would be not to travel at all, but if you absolutely had to, what vehicle models would members prefer to be driving?

VW Touareg - permanent 4wd with torque-sensing from-rear central differential and electronic locking front/rear differentials using the ABS - All-Season tyres which are M+S and 3PMSF winter rated - heated windscreen - diesel-powered cabin heater - it's also a very nice placeto be in good driving conditions as well.

Best vehicles for bad weather - badbusdriver

If you consider you need a car just for these kind of conditions, best would be something heavy, reasonable ground clearance but at the same time not too tall or boxy, and tyres which are not excessively wide.

But, I went to see my parents yesterday in our Suzuki Ignis and by the time I was driving home, the wind was gusting past 60mph. It is tall, boxy and very light for a modern car (circa 850kg), though it does have fairly narrow tyres and decent ground clearance. It wasn't a relaxing drive, but nor was it especially traumatic!.

So IMO (with few exceptions), any car car be driven safely in very wild conditions as long as they are being driven by a reasonably competent driver.

Best vehicles for bad weather - John F

My comfortable large double glazed four wheel drive saloon with its Cd of less than 0.3. Regulars will know what it is!

Best vehicles for bad weather - bathtub tom

Never mind 4WD, decent tyres will get you through until the snow's up to your bonnet.

Told to me by a farmer who was regularly cut off during Winter months.

Best vehicles for bad weather - De Sisti

My comfortable large double glazed four wheel drive saloon with its Cd of less than 0.3. Regulars will know what it is!

For the benefit of those who aren't regulars, what is it?

For the benefit of those who aren't regulars, what is it?

It's a 2005 Audi W12 sport quattro. V rare - only about 50 in this county - most people will never have seen one.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Metropolis.
I know members will slate it but Discovery 2. I have been driving them for the past 15 years or so and absolutely nothing fazes it, no matter the snow, floods, winds, incline, decline (with hill descent control). Brilliant. Mine have been reliable, too.
Best vehicles for bad weather - Grenache

I have family in Scandinavia, and they recommend having the right tyres above all else, and avoid 4wd SUVs, the centre of gravity is too high and makes it unstable.

And Front-wheel drive!

Best vehicles for bad weather - Smileyman

Another vote for having the right tyres. All contact with the road is via 4 hand palm size rubber patches, having appropriate tyres makes all the difference. So the choice of vehicle is less relevent.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Xileno

We had a 205 diesel back in the 1980s, brilliant in the snow with a heavy engine over the driving wheels and quite thin tyres by today's standards.

We had a 205 diesel back in the 1980s, brilliant in the snow with a heavy engine over the driving wheels and quite thin tyres by today's standards.

Same for me except it was a MK2 Fiesta. On the odd occasion you couldn't drive forwards through a snowdrift, turn round and it would reverse through!

Best vehicles for bad weather - Terry W

Many 4x4 seem to be fitted with summer tyres as standard - I assume to reduce road noise and improve fine weather performance. Most owners rarely attempt more than a slightly muddy field or a kerb anyway.

4x4 will get you going. But in snowy and wet conditions tyre selection is far more important. The right tyres on a 2WD will comfortably out-perform an ill-equipped 4x4.

In most parts of the UK the need to perform up rocky tracks in a foot of snow is rare. Unless proficient you would be well advised to stay at home.

Many 4x4 seem to be fitted with summer tyres as standard - I assume to reduce road noise and improve fine weather performance. Most owners rarely attempt more than a slightly muddy field or a kerb anyway.

4x4 will get you going. But in snowy and wet conditions tyre selection is far more important. The right tyres on a 2WD will comfortably out-perform an ill-equipped 4x4.

In most parts of the UK the need to perform up rocky tracks in a foot of snow is rare. Unless proficient you would be well advised to stay at home.

Most 4x4 vehicles are soft-roaders or bought for image rather than function. - however the Bridgestone Dueller (summer tyres) fitted as OE to my VW Touareg performed very well in wet, muddy conditions - although now replaced by modern All-Seasons.

I started driving my father's VW Beetle back in the '60s. He also needed an all weather car. The engine over the tall thin rear driven wheels was an excellent combination, especially going up snowy Yorkshire hills when weight is transferred from front to rear, putting FWD cars at a disadvantage unless they reversed up.

Best vehicles for bad weather - SLO76
Normally I’d answer most questions on here with Mazda 3, Honda Civic and Toyota Auris petrol, however having recently experienced swmbo’s XC60 D5’s grip and torque on a local uphill ice covered road I’d say that it would be hard to best one of these with winter tyres on. This will officially be the only time when a small petrol engined Japanese car won’t be my answer.
Best vehicles for bad weather - Will deBeast

I do miss my landcruiser sometimes. Permanent four wheel drive. Winter/all season tyres. High/low ratio transfer box. Locking diff. Hill assist. ... and just as important, heated seats.

I used to do volunteer rescues in our local area - I was often the only person who could get up and down the local hill.

Now that I've retired, the household cars are a Honda Civic and a Mazda MX-5. I'll just stay at home instead!

Edited by Will deBeast on 28/11/2021 at 06:16

Most 4x4 vehicles are soft-roaders or bought for image rather than function. - however the Bridgestone Dueller (summer tyres) fitted as OE to my VW Touareg performed very well in wet, muddy conditions - although now replaced by modern All-Seasons.

They might be classed as a summer rather than winter tyre but they are still designed to be capable of a bit off light off roading. As such, the tread will be able to deal with snow better than a summer road tyre.

They might be classed as a summer rather than winter tyre but they are still designed to be capable of a bit off light off roading. As such, the tread will be able to deal with snow better than a summer road tyre.

Personally, I use winter-rated All-Seasons to cope with cold, wet conditions when I go out rather than snow and ice when I stay at home.

Best vehicles for bad weather - thunderbird

Back in 1996 I got a 3 year contract doing property surveys and needed a reliable car to do about 10,000 business miles a year in (very few personal - used the wifes car). The job involved visiting the south Pennines quite a bit which can be a pain in winter. Thought about a 4 x 4 but the expense of the car and fuel put me off so decided on a small hatch with narrow tyres and engine that weighed the same as a small moon. Mrs had a Golf TDi at the time which was great so I bought a Polo diesel (non turbo). It was unstoppable in winter (we had some bad weather in that period), ploughed through anything. As always previously stuck cars were an issue but I never needed a push or a tow in those 3 years. Roads that has seen no traffic were no issue, it just drove brilliantly.

At the end of the contract I only kept it about 3 months, to slow for me, bought a 1.8 petrol Focus. Not great in the snow but didn't need to be, could walk to one of the sites in really bad weather if necessary.

Best vehicles for bad weather - galileo

Living in the hilly south Pennines, in 1960s winters I had a Zephyr 6 which was near impossible in snow until fitted with Town and Country tyres and a couple of bags of sand in the boot. I then had a succession of Hillman Imps, again with T and C tyres, which would happily go through 4" of snow.

I vote for all-season or winter tyres and having the sense to recognise limits of your own skill and the road and traffic conditions.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Falkirk Bairn

A former colleague of my eldest son lived out in the sticks, south of Galashiels, in the Scottish Borders - lots of hills & snow.

25 years and 3 x basic Imprezas he made it into the Airport area of Edinburgh in all weathers.

Lightweight, 4WD, narrow tyres, ultra reliable - 1.6ltr, 120BHP or less - up to 20K per year. He retired about 5 years ago - I do not know what he drives now but I would guess a Subaru.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Brit_in_Germany

Although all-weather tyres would be better than summer tyres, if the conditions are really bad proper winter tyres with the sipes for gripping snow will out-perform the all-weathers.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Andrew-T

I vote for all-season or winter tyres and having the sense to recognise limits of your own skill and the road and traffic conditions.

I spent three Canadian winters driving a Morris 1100, whose previous owner had bought it for rallying when FWD cars were still a novelty. It wasn't bad in snow, but on the prairies it could get rather too cold at times and the steering became veeeery stiff.

But when the first snows appeared in late autumn most drivers took a few days to remember how to drive. So in the UK when snow is a novelty for many drivers it's less to do with the car than the driver.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Andrew-T

I spent three Canadian winters driving a Morris 1100, whose previous owner had bought it for rallying when FWD cars were still a novelty. It wasn't bad in snow, but on the prairies it could get rather too cold at times and the steering became veeeery stiff.

But when the first snows appeared in late autumn most drivers took a few days to remember how to drive. So in the UK when snow is a novelty for many drivers it's less to do with the car than the driver.

Best vehicles for bad weather - madf

Personally, I use winter-rated All-Seasons to cope with cold, wet conditions when I go out rather than snow and ice when I stay at home.

+1

Best vehicles for bad weather - barney100

Best car in the snow I had was unbelievably a Fiat Panda...the original one. The little car went past many stranded ones in heavy snow on a dreadful night.

Best car in the snow I had was unbelievably a Fiat Panda...the original one. The little car went past many stranded ones in heavy snow on a dreadful night.

I find it very easy to believe this.

Once, many years ago I borrowed a Fiat Cinquencento from the garage I worked (in Wigan) to go and spend Christmas with family in Aberdeenshire. Not only was there a lot of snow on the main road up, but there was even more while I was there. But the little Fiat never missed a beat, the dinky little 145 tyres seemed to have no problem finding traction. While there, I had to go and rescue a friend who'd got stuck in his Cavalier. He was very miffed about it because he'd made fun of the car when he first saw it, I got the last laugh though!. Only problem I recall was washers freezing, this was solved by putting some meths in the washer bottle ;-)

Best vehicles for bad weather - Theophilus

"Back in the day" I lived in Kenya, 45 miles of mud track from the nearest tarmac road and in my VW Variant. could get through almost any conditions (except when heavy logging trucks had worn deep ruts which left me stranded!)

For those who can't / don't remember the Variant it was the estate version of the original VW Beetle - rear engined (and of course only 2WD) but with the back well loaded to give weight on the driven wheels (and chains - which were a real mess to take on and off in the mud!) it was the match of almost any 4x4. Indeed after one very muddy journey I got through sections that a colleague driving a Toyota Land-Cruiser could only negotiate using his winch to pull himself clear.

As a result, he bought the Variant from me ... but never drove it with enough momentum to get through the really muddy patches!

"Back in the day" I lived in Kenya, 45 miles of mud track from the nearest tarmac road and in my VW Variant. could get through almost any conditions (except when heavy logging trucks had worn deep ruts which left me stranded!)

For those who can't / don't remember the Variant it was the estate version of the original VW Beetle - rear engined (and of course only 2WD) but with the back well loaded to give weight on the driven wheels (and chains - which were a real mess to take on and off in the mud!) it was the match of almost any 4x4. Indeed after one very muddy journey I got through sections that a colleague driving a Toyota Land-Cruiser could only negotiate using his winch to pull himself clear.

As a result, he bought the Variant from me ... but never drove it with enough momentum to get through the really muddy patches!

Sorry to be a pedant, but the vehicle you are talking about was available with three body styles, all generally referred to as the 'Variant'. Officially they were called the Type 3 (Beetle was the Type 1, Transporter/Combi/Microbus/etc was the Type 2). I know them as (and I'm not sure if these names were official) the Squareback, Fastback and Notchback.

Years ago I read a book about exploring the Sahara by vehicle. There were two non-4x4 cars mentioned as being up for the challenges this would entail, VW Beetle and Citroen 2CV!

Years ago I read a book about exploring the Sahara by vehicle. There were two non-4x4 cars mentioned as being up for the challenges this would entail, VW Beetle and Citroen 2CV!

Central african mud and saharan sand ideally require different tyres. You need wide non-chunky tyres for sand. On my way back from Livingstone to Leeds via Kano and Algiers I remember sailing past thin tyred Land Rovers which had dug themselves in up to their axles in our old Toyota Crown.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Engineer Andy

I find it very easy to believe this.

Once, many years ago I borrowed a Fiat Cinquencento from the garage I worked (in Wigan) to go and spend Christmas with family in Aberdeenshire. Not only was there a lot of snow on the main road up, but there was even more while I was there. But the little Fiat never missed a beat, the dinky little 145 tyres seemed to have no problem finding traction. While there, I had to go and rescue a friend who'd got stuck in his Cavalier. He was very miffed about it because he'd made fun of the car when he first saw it, I got the last laugh though!. Only problem I recall was washers freezing, this was solved by putting some meths in the washer bottle ;-)

Ditto for me - my old mid 90s Micra was brilliant in the snow: skinny tyres (relatively), low powered car and one that you could tick along slowly and easily in low gear with barely any throttle and without stalling it. That combined with my normally genetle driving style seems to have done the trick.

Mine fared far better than most during the big snow storm of early 2003. I was one a few colleagues who managed to get home that day in a reasonable time, only being held up for 30 mins or so by an HGV stuck halfway up a steep hill.

Still haven't 'tested' my CC+s (fitted 2018) on the Mazda3 in the snow yet, but am 'looking forward' to doing so. Especially as this set are now 195/65 R15s instead of the OEM 205/55 R16s, which weren't too shabby (even the OEM [luckily no snow in that final year of wonership] and last set of tyres, both which were summer tyres), so should work better in snow.

Best vehicles for bad weather - Engineer Andy

Humm-Vee. ;-)

Humm-Vee. ;-)

Alvis Stalwart?, or possibly one of those Russian off-roaders with enormous tyres like the Sherpa ATV (though I think they are actually Ukrainian)?.

Best vehicles for bad weather - galileo

Humm-Vee. ;-)

Alvis Stalwart?, or possibly one of those Russian off-roaders with enormous tyres like the Sherpa ATV (though I think they are actually Ukrainian)?.

The Stalwart was amphibious so floods would not be a problem either.

Humm-Vee. ;-)

As is the Sherpa ATV!

Best vehicles for bad weather - edlithgow

Humm-Vee. ;-)

As is the Sherpa ATV!

Looked it up. Its Sherp apparently. No "a".

Skid steered so basically a big Argocat with only 4 wheels.

I wonder if wheels now have the edge over tracks. Tanks havn't yet been generally replaced by big armoured cars, though armour is of course rather heavy. Perhaps more significantly, BAS still mostly uses tracked sno-cats.

www.bas.ac.uk/team/operational-teams/engineering-a.../

Since track maintenance is a significant PITA, I'd guess tracks still give enough advantages to compensate for this..

From the look of that Sherp they might have taken quite a lot of it from an off-the-shelf Bobcat.

Nuclear submarine.

Failing that a Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter of Colin Archer design and Norwegian construction.

How about the Avtoros Shaman 8x8 which was on Top Gear a few years ago?