What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - Linda Norton

I notified Kia at my annual service in 2019 that I had noticed the oil light had just started to come on and was concerned. They checked it over, informed me there were no oil leaks and topped up the oil and told me to keep an eye on it. As I drove off I noted the light was still illuminated, rang them and was advised it must just be a glitch and to not be concerned.

Fast forward 2 months and my Kia needed its second clutch (yes 2 in 4 years!) and I mentioned it again and they said it needed another litre of oil. I declined it this time as I had plenty of oil at home but again voiced my concern at the level of consumption in just 8 weeks.

A couple of weeks ago there was a knocking noise from the engine and I took it in to be advised I need a new engine! Various discussions were had and goodwill was mentioned but they are now trying to wriggle out of any of this due to me missing the service last year during the pandemic. The way they have treated me has been appalling, promises to do a complimentary diagnostic by Head Office have been overridden by dealer saying I need to pay for engine to be put back in if they do an in-depth assessment and they suspect oil starvation (without even having looked at it in detail) and think I should be liable as a result, ignoring my protestations about the oil issue previously mentioned.

I have been advised by others in the industry that this is a common fault and thousands of Sportages were recalled in the States.

Can anyone offer me advice in relation to this please? I am tempted to take this to court as I really have nothing to lose and feel very strongly about this.

Thank you for reading

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - RT

First of all, escalate this issue to Kia UK with full documentation of the history - with a missed service, however well justified, you may need to settle for a contribution towards repair costs.

One thought - many brands/models only require a service every two years or 20,000 miles to maintain the warranty even though they recommend an annual service - so check whether the car has actually missed a mandatory service.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - Metropolis.

Maybe this helps?

www.kia.com/uk/covid-19-faqs/

"What happens to the warranty if the service is not completed on time?"

"Your car should be maintained and serviced according to the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations to ensure your warranty remains intact. However, if there is a valid warranty claim on your car and the latest scheduled service has been delayed during UK Lockdown up to 31 July 2020, we will honour valid warranty claims. Please note all other warranty Terms and Exclusions apply. If your car has an overdue service please book in now by phoning your local dealer or online at https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/service-booking/ ."

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - Bromptonaut

I cannot find it again now but I'm sure there was a similar question about a Kia (or possibly Hyundai) with engine issues witihn the last 6 weeks.

Searches suggested there was a known issue.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - movilogo

Is OP's car diesel or petrol?

In North America there are several cases of Kia Sportage engine failure. But those are usually petrol and I am not sure if UK version of Sportgage gets same engines.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - John F

Whenever a purchase is considered I google something along the lines of ' (make and model) engine failure'. Try it for this car - it makes for rather unhappy reading.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - badbusdriver

Is OP's car diesel or petrol?

In North America there are several cases of Kia Sportage engine failure. But those are usually petrol and I am not sure if UK version of Sportgage gets same engines.

AFAIK the USA Sportage would have either a n/a 2.4 or a 2.0 turbo (both 4 cyl petrol). I don't think either unit was available on the UK Sportage which (AFAIK) got 1.6, 1.7 and 2.0 turbo diesels along with a 1.6 petrol, either n/a or turbo

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - daveyK_UK
Was the car purchased outright or on finance?
Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - Will deBeast

>> they are now trying to wriggle out of any of this due to me missing the service last year during the pandemic.

That may be an expensive oversight. If that service was due to include an oil change, you may struggle as you've breached the warranty But I'd emphasise that the problems seem to pre-date the missed service and see if Kia UK will offer any goodwill.

Failing that, you may have to sue the servicing dealer?

Kia Sportage 2015 - Anyone else suffered engine failure? - Steveieb

My colleague at the gym mentioned that this had happened to his sister.
Again the dealer wriggled out of the claim by saying that the service hadn’t been completed on time.
Apparently the service was delayed due to the pandemic and then she forgot to rebook in time once the dealership opened.

£6k bill which she has had to pay before the car is returned!