What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - Trilogy.

Once people get past this being Chinese I can see it selling very well. Shows you don't need ugly slashes and grooves down the side to hide the depth of sheet metal. Front looks Porschesque, sides fine, rear I expect will be more of an acquired taste. Interior fabulous, with lots of kit, and makes the MG ZS very, very dull. If this is as good as it looks, they'll hit the ground running.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BvevMKcXmc

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - nellyjak

First impression...I like it...love the two-tone interiors.

I actually like its rear end too..!...looks like it's going to be well priced and well spec'd.

Be interesting to see how it is received and if it attracts enough BEV buyers.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - primus 1

It does look nice I must admit, but it looks like so many cars copied into it,

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - alan1302

It does look nice I must admit, but it looks like so many cars copied into it,

Such as?

Presently surprised by the car - think some of the larger manufacturers will be keeping an eye on how they do as they could be some serious competition in the years to come.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - groaver

There is a Beetle/Porsche look at the front and a Punto/Swift look at the rear to these eyes.

A bit Mini at the sides too.

It isn't terrible looking, just a bit of a Mish mash.

The interior seems pretty nice for the class.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - badbusdriver

I watched this video yesterday, and I have to say, I like it too. Didn't like the GT version though, naff (IMO).

The only slight (geographical) downside is that if you say Ora in my neck of the woods, it means something derogatory!. Not sure how the local dialect version is spelled, but for example, if I were to say, "That's an 'Ora' looking car", it would mean the same as, "That is a horrible looking car".

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - daveyjp

History shows it takes 15-20 years for an unknown brand to be accepted in the UK. Some do well, many fall away.

Those that do well have done so through a USP. Datsun, Toyota became successful from the mid 70s because they made cars which unlike the BL and Fords of the day were reliable for year after year. Same can be said of Japanese motorbikes,

Early Hyundais were terrible (and reminded me of 1980s Datsun in design, but this was 2000), then they decided to design better cars and offer a 5 year warranty (7 years in the Kia brand), a USP which saw a massive increase in sales.

Proton came and went, Ssangyong are trying again, Daihatsu never succeeded, Daewoo etc etc. We'll see about MG, their all electric models look to be excellent value for money, the MG5 for mid £20,000s for a family sized estate in particular.

The question therefore is what is this vehicle's USP? For me with current EV offerings it would have to be price and it needs to be under £20k to appeal, but stepping into the unknown is still a risk for many which won't be offset with a tempting price.

I don't disagree with all you have said history-wise.

I think we are living in a different time now with respect to cars.

The mainstream makers are just coming on board with their bevs.

If this has good range, decent reliability (warranty to help back this up) and still undercuts the opposition in terms of value then I think the 'might' of their company backing this will make the brand a serious proposition.

It's not as though mainstream e cars ( in my experience) have any major difference in driving characteristics.

It would be nice to see a home grown brand enter the market however I won't hold my breath on that.

On the theme of the Ora Cat taking inspiration from other cars, maybe have a gander at one of its siblings, the Ora Punk Cat. No prizes for guessing where the inspiration comes from. but endless to say VW's legal department are having a close look!

ORA-Punk-Cat-01.jpg

fusca-eletrico-ora-10.jpg

Check out the interior!

ORA-Punk-Cat-1-Beetle-copy5.jpg

Not sure this is likely to come to the UK, which is a shame (I think).

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - sammy1

I can see a Mini look at the front and an Audi A1 at the rear. The price looks attractive if the dealer network is there to back it up. Hopefully price competition will bring the opposition nearer. I know the MG brand is Chinese and is doing well but from my point of view unless China starts relating more to the rest of the world its products will be shunned by many me included. It is a sad state of affairs that China and the Far East are cornering the Market everywhere you look. With COP26 just starting and if you are to believe the urgency of the argument can we condone the dirty manufacturing processes that are going on in China probably for another generation at least.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - joegrundy

Here's a marketing idea for them: team up with Kia and do a limited edition. Paint it bright orange and advertise it with the Pearl & Dean music and the slogan 'Now on sale in the foyer'.

Here's a marketing idea for them: team up with Kia and do a limited edition. Paint it bright orange and advertise it with the Pearl & Dean music and the slogan 'Now on sale in the foyer'.

Surely it would have to be a dog then..............

watch

;-)

They should just get Rita* to be brand ambassador.

* The demographic on here may not understand this.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - focussed

They should just get Rita* to be brand ambassador.

* The demographic on here may not understand this.

Don't kid yourself - many on here are not as square as much as you think you are hip!

The only thing hip on here are the replacements. ;-)

I had to look her up before posting. Fashionable isn't a word associated to me

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - alan1302

It is a sad state of affairs that China and the Far East are cornering the Market everywhere you look. With COP26 just starting and if you are to believe the urgency of the argument can we condone the dirty manufacturing processes that are going on in China probably for another generation at least.

China does a lot of the dirty manufacturing as the West has sent the work over there rather than it being done here - that is a big reason that China is such a large emitter of pollution. If they are not doing them can cleaner alternatives be done there or back here?

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - Engineer Andy

Looks like the late Noughties to mid-2010s Nissan Micra. Not terrible, but not my cup of tea either.

TBH I'd give Chinese makes a wide bearth given what they've (the CCP) been up to and how many of their car makes readily get away with blatant copying foreign products (e.g. the Land Wind) and industrial espionage whilst shutting out all competition at home.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - Terry W

On paper it seems fine. Looks are a matter of opinion - ok but not exceptional. Interior pleasantly different. New market entrants need either technical leadership (Tesla?) or low price.

Whether they survive iwill depend on whether product quality is initially good enough, and subsequently improves to justify a full market price. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia succeeded in the past but many have not - Lada, Wartburg, Proton to name but 3.

My concern would be whether they will be here in 3-5 years time - without a dealer network, spares backup and trade in values would be poor. As a hand it back PCP or lease choice - if the car suits and the price is right it could be a good choice.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - Trilogy.

Dacia is a success story.

Dacia is a success story.

But would they be as an independent company?

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - Sofa Spud

Got a Tesla (any model) and need a small EV as a second car? I can see the Ora Cat fitting the bill perfectly.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 02/11/2021 at 11:23

Got a Tesla (any model) and need a small EV as a second car? I can see the Ora Cat fitting the bill perfectly.

You could say the same for anyone who needs a smallish 2nd car, the main car doesn't need to be an EV. But anyone who might otherwise consider a Zoe, Honda e, Mini e, Mazda MX30, etc should be having a hard look at the Ora.

In fact with the bigger battery option (260 mile range wasn't it?), there are plenty (including myself*) who could use the Ora as their only car.

*If I had off street parking.

The cat that gets the cream - Ora Cat BEV - Sofa Spud

You could say the same for anyone who needs a smallish 2nd car, the main car doesn't need to be an EV. But anyone who might otherwise consider a Zoe, Honda e, Mini e, Mazda MX30, etc should be having a hard look at the Ora.

In fact with the bigger battery option (260 mile range wasn't it?), there are plenty (including myself*) who could use the Ora as their only car.

*If I had off street parking.

Indeed - what I meant was that the Ora Cat looks like it would appeal to Tesla owners as a second car. But it will probably have a much wider appeal and it might even take a few sales from Tesla (of the Model 3) despite being smaller, cheaper and lower performance.