2022 Range Rover - Metropolis.

So they finally released a new Range Rover. On paper and in principle, it's quite an impressive vehicle.

These features have been seen before on other vehicles but I still think they are noteworthy, ones i recall are:

• Four wheel steering giving it the same turning circle as a current gen Mini.
  • Chassis dynamics integrated with the sat nav so it braces for corners or rough road conditions
  • All four doors and the boot are power operated. That includes opening as well as closing and it will work even at off road angles. Quite useful if you are parking on a steep road!
  • Also, the driver can close all the doors just by holding the foot brake.
  • A 'double' bulkhead to reduce road noise by 'up to' 24%.
  • 5x more powerful active noise cancelling.
  • Amazon alexa voice control (not sure I like that one..)
  • Plug in hybrid with 62 miles of range rechargable one hour (come to think of it that's not especially impressive), but with a max official range of 87 miles.
  • 4.4 seconds 0-60 for the BMW (again LR ?!) v8.
  • Tortional rigidity up 50% on the outgoing model.
  • 0.30 drag coefficient
  • Cabin filters that stop SARS and COVID pathogens
  • Clearsight front camera system (you look through the centre screen and it's as if the front of the car is see through so you can place the wheels)
  • 3 feet wading depth.
  • A terrain response system that knows what terrain you are on.
  • 125 patents filed.
  • Lastly, the Ford/PSA v6 diesel with a crankshaft made of cheese is now dead, long live the homegrown inline 6!

To be expected of a car with a starting price of £94,00.00!

I'm not sure that any vehicle in this price range, sold in the UK (otherwise i would say the Lexus LX570 beats it) that offers the same combination of S-Class comfort levels with Defender off-road ability - Range Rovers as the flagship are always benchmarked against the Defender.

Now, if only they could sort out the reliability. If they did, it would quite possibly be the best car on sale at the price point, but they won't.

As Evo Magazine put it, "New 2022 Range Rover revealed – the Rolls-Royce Cullinan’s nightmare reloaded".

2022 Range Rover - Trilogy.

And the Bentgaya's nightmare too.

2022 Range Rover - Ian D
I am sure with all those new gadgets it will be very reliable….
2022 Range Rover - groaver

70 ECUs.

What could possibly go wrong?

2022 Range Rover - Engineer Andy

70 ECUs.

What could possibly go wrong?

What's the betting that one of the journos test cars breaks down on a press junket? I remember that US YouTuber getter a new Landy - it having a mjor fault within days, it going back and them having to get a replacement at least once.

I never understand with JLR thin that making their cars even more complex (before fixing their existing issues) is the answer to their problems.

Somehow I doubt if many of thes cars will ever see that much - if any - offroading, at most going to the car boot sale at Jilly & Johnny's posh school and parking on the field.

2022 Range Rover - groaver

First class design.

Dunce of the class attention to detail.

2022 Range Rover - Xileno

I certainly wouldn't want one out of warranty. Far too much technology that could go expensively wrong. I can understand the appeal. Hopefully the Ingenium six cylinder engines will prove reliable.

2022 Range Rover - _

But they aren't and won't be.

2022 Range Rover - Telco

why?

2022 Range Rover - Telco

Can you please let us know why you think this ORB?

I think the great irony about LR is, they are so far advanced, they could literally pause all developement for about 3 years, and invest ALL their money into sorting out reliability for that period.

Sort out the reliability and be seen to do so, and I wager it would attract FAR more buyers to the brand than their innovations are getting them.

There's only so many people they can burn with breakdowns, the old, forgiving Land Rover buyers have been abandoned (me included), the fashionistas buying them now will not stick around like we did.

L-R will have no problem selling them.

2022 Range Rover - JonestHon

Agree, but LR/JLR future is not by selling fewer cars in the golf states or China, it's with EV's and as they sell such small numbers I think their future will be under full Chinese ownership with most production moved elsewhere. Sad, but this was written on the wall for a while, with the UK attracting far less investment (relatively) nowadays and spats with China it can probably only go one way.

2022 Range Rover - SLO76
If I were to win the lottery a Range Rover would adorn my drive, but without near unlimited funds you’d be mad to buy one, new or used. I hope the company do as promised and work to kill the terrible reputation for reliability.
2022 Range Rover - daveyK_UK
I am in agreement with some of the contributions on this thread.
Due to the lack of reliability, I haven’t considered buying a Land Rover for over a decade.
If they made a reliable car, I would be attracted back to the brand.

2022 Range Rover - Sprice

If JLR products had Toyota or Honda-esque reliability, they would be extremely desirable vehicles and sell loads more.

2022 Range Rover - nellyjak

Agree SLO..I would have bought a Disco/RR years ago had the reliability isues not been so prevalent.

I've always liked the product... but not it's horrendous lack of reliability..and the costs and inconvenience that ensue.

I've been close on a few occasions..but the head has thankfully overridden the heart every time.

2022 Range Rover - RT

Most of my in-laws worked at Austin/Rover/Land-Rover so I could get the family discount but I've never bought one of their products - back in my working days a Ford or Vauxhall seemed a much better prospect for reliability - I did consider a RR Sport in 2015 but ended up buying a VW Touareg, and not regretted it.

I'd buy a Grenadier instead.

2022 Range Rover - daveyjp

One of my wife's colleagues celebrated a promotion by buying a RR sport, 5 years old. It is now emptying his wallet on a regular basis.

Last week was a brakes issue, it decided pressing the pedal would result in no brakes whatsoever.

2022 Range Rover - S40 Man

Harry Metcalf of Harry's Garage on YouTube rated it but he is a serial Range Rover buyer.

I imagine Mr Metcalfe has fairly deep pockets, which seems essential if running one of these vehicles. Maybe the LR is similar to the Merc situation - not too bad if you have a good independent garage.

2022 Range Rover - badbusdriver

I also suspect Mr Metcalfe will get a very good deal if he is a serial RangeRover owner, what with the publicity and all.

2022 Range Rover - Stackman II

I hope they sell by the truckload.

My son-in-law is a Land Rover salesman and my daughter and grandson are an expensive hobby!

2022 Range Rover - Sparrow

A friend has had about 5 landrovers until now. Kept each one fro the warranty period only and had varying reliabilities. Some were frequently in the garage, one with turbo issues. Others were trouble free. This time he decided to go for a Kia Tueson. It has much longer warranty so he figured he could run it for longer and still stay within warranty. He likes it. Says it is not quite as nice nice to drive but otherwise is very good and does all his various Landys did, apart from slightly less wading depth. Time will tell if he's made the right decision, but already it's a good cost saving on something like a Discovery Sport, which his previous car was.

Edited by Sparrow on 29/10/2021 at 16:20

2022 Range Rover - Sofa Spud

It's a pity that pointless 'signature' U-shaped vertical decoration on the side spoils an otherwise clean design. Particular praise should be heaped for avoiding fashionable but ugly big brake vent grilles on the lower front corners. The rear is particularly good but the overall proportions are less pleasing than the current design. Not the sort of car I'd be interested in buying though, not even if I had the money.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/10/2021 at 16:41

2022 Range Rover - Terry W

Most folk buying a RR do little more demanding than the odd slightly muddy field. Their interest is dominated by thoughts of brand envy, gizmos, status etc. Unnecessay design fourishes and ornamentation are par for the course.

Those who need or use more than a small part of RR capability will gravitate twords something that doesn't grind to a halt, possibly many miles from help. Glitz takes second place to reliability!

"Most folk buying a RR do little more demanding than the odd slightly muddy field."

This is true, but the capability is still undeniably there, if not the reliability.

Most high powered Ferraris are only going to travel at slightly above the speed limit, maybe the owner will take it once to a track day, or more than likely go to a Ferrari event and drive the manufacturer's car instead. Same with American pickups, most of the time, the bed of the truck is empty.

I think the appeal is knowing you COULD cross that ford, climb every mountain etc etc. Something which nothing else in this class (that's officially sold in the UK) can do.

Land Rover and the Range Rover model is a shadow of its former self, a real shame they ditched body on frame solid axle construction. Even with poor build quality, at least the fundamentals were there but that's lacking now.

Probably my favourite car advert of all time, www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmXAIRl_nkw

"Now you know what people see, in a Range Rover".

2022 Range Rover - Sulphur Man

From the press shots, the cockpit, with it's mounted tablet in the centre is not my idea of absolute luxury. It looks ungainly. Most car buyers (especially Golf Mk8 buyers) are realising that a large tablet is not an improvement, but a cost-saving measure, and of no real-world gain over dedicated, tactile switchgear.

Sure, a wide embedded screen for navigation and media info is useful, but not the RR one, which looks like an afterthought.

True luxury should be marked by quality switchgear, not a touchscreen that will date within a matter of years. JLR have missed a trick by following the herd on the new Range Rover. I actually prefer the new Defender interior.

2022 Range Rover - Sofa Spud

I said above that the new Range Rover is quite easy on the eye apart from the huge U shaped decoration on the side. But its overall proportions are less attractive than the current model.

I agree the new Defender is better looking, though.

I think the appeal is knowing you COULD cross that ford, climb every mountain etc etc. Something which nothing else in this class (that's officially sold in the UK) can do.

But as Top Gear have shown on a few occasions, you don't actually need 4wd, off road capability, or even lots of ground clearance to get a long way off the beaten track.

Also, those early RangeRovers like in your link could be severely compromised off road by the lack of locking diffs. This is where an early G-Wagon would leave a RR floundering, despite having much less axle articulation. Having the ability to keep on grinding forwards so long as at least one wheel had purchase.

Most car buyers (especially Golf Mk8 buyers) are realising that a large tablet is not an improvement, but a cost-saving measure, and of no real-world gain over dedicated, tactile switchgear.

How can you possibly know what 'most car buyers' think of having a large tablet?, are you psychic?

You would hope that LR have done their research, having said that, when I look at the Discovery 5 (neighbour has one) I still can't believe how that tailgate got signed off. Maybe the age group they are targeting are more familiar and comfortable with touchscreens. I'm not a fan, I think the Tesla 3 version is a particularly clumsy looking feature but it hasn't stopped them selling. They suddenly seem to be all over the place, maybe they've recently had a load shipped over as I believe they batch up the deliveries.

2022 Range Rover - Telco

But as Top Gear have shown on a few occasions, you don't actually need 4wd, off road capability, or even lots of ground clearance to get a long way off the beaten track.

I think you'll find Top Gear is an entertainment programme not a scientific study.

Also, those early RangeRovers like in your link could be severely compromised off road by the lack of locking diffs. This is where an early G-Wagon would leave a RR floundering, despite having much less axle articulation. Having the ability to keep on grinding forwards so long as at least one wheel had purchase.

So you you're saying that you don't actually need 4 wheel drive off road but if you don't have locking diffs it'll be no good off road?

Most car buyers (especially Golf Mk8 buyers) are realising that a large tablet is not an improvement, but a cost-saving measure, and of no real-world gain over dedicated, tactile switchgear.

How can you possibly know what 'most car buyers' think of having a large tablet?, are you psychic?

I think you'll find Top Gear is an entertainment programme not a scientific study.

Where did I claim it was a scientific study?. Or to put it another way, do you think if it had been a scientific study (rather than an entertainment programme), Hammond's1963 Opel Kadett wouldn't have managed to drive across Botswana?, if so, explain how?.

So you you're saying that you don't actually need 4 wheel drive off road

No, that isn't what I am saying (nor was it what I said). What I did say was this,

"But as Top Gear have shown on a few occasions, you don't actually need 4wd, off road capability, or even lots of ground clearance to get a long way off the beaten track."

Which is not the same as saying that there are no circumstances under which you need 4wd.

if you don't have locking diffs it'll be no good off road?

Didn't say this either(!). However, for the record, having diff locks will get you further off road than not having them.

Hope that has cleared things up for you ;-)