What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Visually ensuring car will not roll - movilogo

In a car with traditional shifter and handbrake, you can keep shifter in [P] and pull the handbrake up. These are visual clues that car won't start to roll.

Now, in a car with non-traditional/monostable shifter, where it always returns to base position after any operation AND with electronic parking brake, how do you get the confidence that after you have left the car it won't start rolling accidentally?

What happens with electronic parking brake if battery goes flat? Does it release the brake or keep it locked?

How do you even put to neutral in those cars? Traditional PRND shifters usually have a shift unlock switch to enable shifter to move in [N] position if battery down.

Visually ensuring car will not roll - mcb100
With most electronic park brakes I’ve ever used - Mazda, from memory, was the exception - they are applied automatically when the ignition was switched off.
Visually ensuring car will not roll - John F
With most electronic park brakes I’ve ever used - Mazda, from memory, was the exception - they are applied automatically when the ignition was switched off.

I'm glad mine isn't (Audi A8). For those of us who keep their old cars indefinitely, such repetitive unnecessary use of the mechanism is a recipe for eventual failure and expensive repair. I never use the parking brake unless parked on a steep hill.

Visually ensuring car will not roll - Andrew-T

Chock the wheels ? :-)

Visually ensuring car will not roll - Engineer Andy

Park touching the next vehicle or a wall/kerb on the downward side?

Tie a tow rope to the nearest vehicle or lamp-post up the hill?

Park across the hill or somewhere flat?

Apologies - just a bit of fun, after all, it is a Friday afternoon. :-)

Visually ensuring car will not roll - bathtub tom

Whatever happened to the advice to turn the steering towards the kerb if facing downhill and vice versa?

Visually ensuring car will not roll - alan1302

Whatever happened to the advice to turn the steering towards the kerb if facing downhill and vice versa?

We were waiting for you to mention it :-)

Visually ensuring car will not roll - bathtub tom
We were waiting for you to mention it :-)

I thank you! ;>)