What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Metropolis.
Interesting, the reasons can be debated, but the numbers appear genuine.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10104051/...l
Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Ian_SW

If the data has come from mileage recorded at the MOT, I wonder how many of these were where the MOT tester inadvertently put an extra number in, and the cars have actually done a more normal 75000 miles.

I can see Landrover Defenders occasionally reaching this mileage, if they are maintained a bit like Trigger's broom, but less likely anyone would bother with a Fiesta or Astra.

I've been in the occasional minicab which is getting closer to that mileage, but I think the highest was a Volvo 940 airport taxi which had done about 600k and it didn't feel like it was going to last much longer.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Chris M

Strange there's nothing Japanese on the 750k list and only the Prius on the 250k.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - badbusdriver

I am sceptical of those figures, and it has nothing to do with a lack of Japanese cars on the list.

Take the Rover 75 for example. First thing which strikes me is that the 75 was very much the favoured steed for gentlemen of a certain age, often retired. Second, going by the numbers you see, there are not that many left on the roads these days full stop. On Autotrader right now there are a grand total of 39 saloons and 9 estates for sale nationwide. Between them, only 15 (who's mileages were listed) have done more than 100k miles, the highest of those (by about 50k) is a 2006 diesel saloon with 193k. Yet according to this list there are 33 still on the road having done the equivalent of circling the globe 30 times?.

The LDV Maxus being at the top of this list doesn't surprise me in one way because it is a van and has to work hard for its living. But on the other hand, as far as vans go, they don't have that great a reputation either, fragile gearboxes being a particular issue. Also, in terms of numbers, there are far more Transits on the roads, but no sign of it on the over 750k list and only in 5th place on the over 250k one.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - focussed

Loads of Rover 75's for sale over here in france - see a lot of them about too.

All diesel of course.

EG - www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2057930851.htm

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Terry W

It is not clear how old these vehicles are - but assuming (say) up to 20 years old, the annual mileage would be 37500 ++ pa.

I then wonder what individual or business would cover this sort of mileage - prefering to repair rather than replace as components fail. Would need regular sevicing and sympathetic driving style.

So here goes:

• individual bought a new car 20 years ago due to a long commute of ~200 miles per day. On those miles, the value of a new car has the properties of a brick - so cheaper to continually repair if needed.
  • small business using vehicle for local deliveries - eg: motor factor, engineering components, office stationery. Probably rural as 200 miles a day is feasible with (say) 10 drop offs per day. City based would be unlikely to cover the mileage.
  • some less plausible ideas - county border drug dealer, personal services (we come to you), debt collectors, share a car 24x7 taxi drivers, pizza delivery, etc etc
Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - barney100

Are they run in yet? Read Irv Gordon's story of his 3 million miles in a Volvo P60 (if memory serves me right.) The car had visited every US state bar Alaska and Volvo shipped it out there to bring up the 3 million.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Steveieb

A few Taxis make the list including the Passat which I presume will be the Tdi 1.9 with the legendary Bosch designed pump dues engine , and the Prius naturally but no mention of the Peugeot 406 HDI , again mostly found in taxis .

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Steveieb

Always remember the Skoda taxis in Tenerife with the 1.9 Tdi engine which went back and forth from the airport to the hotels 24 hours a day along the motorway. What will they replace them with ?

Toyota Camry would be a decent choice, unless they need an estate.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - focussed

Are they run in yet? Read Irv Gordon's story of his 3 million miles in a Volvo P60 (if memory serves me right.) The car had visited every US state bar Alaska and Volvo shipped it out there to bring up the 3 million.

Yes but to be fair that B18 motor did get rebuilt a couple of times.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Andrew-T

It is not clear how old these vehicles are - but assuming (say) up to 20 years old, the annual mileage would be 37500 ++ pa. I then wonder what individual or business would cover this sort of mileage.

One example I know of is a taxi shuttle service from Blackpool to Manchester Airport - that certainly clocks up the miles. IIRC the car has an oil change every 5 or 6 weeks.

Most common vehicles still on the road with 750k + - Galad

Strange there's nothing Japanese on the 750k list and only the Prius on the 250k.

Plenty of Toyota Avensis taxis in Dublin with starship mileage and in pristine body condition. I owned one from new in 2007 that I passed on to family members with 150k on the clock and it's still going strong and looks like new. These cars are bullet proof. The only parts I had to replace (apart from tyres) were front brake pads at 70k and one side light and brake light bulb. The secret is to service it once a year. Simples. SWMBO's 2007 Corsa D has been virtually rebuilt.......

I was a bit surprised (despite my blind patriotism!) to see the Rover 75 on the list. I did a bit of research and found this, someone boasting in October 2014 with a picture of their odometer, scroll down a bit and you will see it, 574,830 miles. It's definitely not in KMs because the trip metre clearly says miles.

www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19...2

I haven't been bothered enouggh to look through the rest of that thread, but on the first page is a list of high mileage examples and there's probably more if you can be asked to go through the 13 pages worth!

How about Matt Farah's million mile Lexus, quite an interesting write up on it here www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28991860/the-mil.../

700,000 miles in 12 years at one point!