Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - tbg

Hello all

I'm still looking into getting a run around and my next question is what is the 1.6 tdci engine like in terms of reliability . I have it in the back of mind that its not so good but cant remember why or seem to find why ( but still looking ) .

what to go for the 1.6 tdci or 1.5

Last one who makes the engine as I believe the 2.0 tdci is peugeot/citroen and last time I looked had a half decent reputation.

thanks for any help

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - badbusdriver

The 1.6 TDCI is a PSA (Peugeot Citroen, now Stellantis) engine. It does not have the greatest reputation, but that may be slightly unfair. Doing some research for a potential van purchase some years ago, what I found is that the engine is actually very reliable providing a couple of key points has been adhered to. First, when the engine first appeared (not sure about later ones) I believe the service intervals were about 20k miles, which seems to have been too long. Second, it is apparently critical that the correct grade and type of engine oil has been used. The first those is easy enough to look into, but how would you determine that the correct oil has been used on a second hand car, especially if the car has been serviced outwith the dealer network?.

Not sure if the 2.0 is also a PSA unit, but it does seem to have a better reputation than the 1.6.

The 1.5 is just a smaller, updated version of the 1.6 and as such should certainly have the potential to be reliable. But I have not looked into it, so not sure about any specific issues.

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - elekie&a/c doctor
Both engines are Psa units and widely used in many vehicles , including some Range Rover models . Your biggest problem is going to be all the emissions kit that is bolted on . Egr valves , dpf systems . As a cheap runaround, your best bet is a petrol motor .
Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - daveyK_UK
Agree, while the diesel is considerably more economical, the petrol doesn’t have all the emissions gizmos you find on a diesel and may prove cheaper over 2/3 years as there is less to go wrong and replace.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 09/10/2021 at 23:34

thanks for the help.

I have another question on the forum about the possibility of a kia , but with regards to this I would prefer the 2.0 but there seems more choice of 1.6 diesels and as for the idea of diesel or petrol, I prefer how a diesel drives over a petrol ( more pull ) but reliability is a concern over a 5 year period ish

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - SLO76
What sort of money are we talking about here? If it’s a cheap runabout you’re looking for then avoid diesel, it will almost certainly cost you more in the long term. The Yamaha designed 1.6 petrols are the one to have here.

anywhere from £5k to £8k 5 being the better choice but 8 for the right car.

I know it seems everyone on this site won't consider diesel and I'm presuming you all have far more knowledge than me and my very very limited knowledge is based on pre dpf diesels but I still struggle with the concept of ruling out diesel.

but again thanks for the advice

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - barney100

I've had a few diesels over the last few years with all sorts of use. Can't say they have been any more trouble than petrol engines.

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - Big John

I know it seems everyone on this site won't consider diesel

You mentioned in your original post "getting a run around " which to me implies a low mileage and this can be an issue for most modern diesel cars as there may be many aborted active DPF regenerations which causes potential issues with the DPF blocking and sump oil being polluted. If you do regular longish journeys then this shouldn't be an issue but remember pre Euro 6 diesels are not welcome in many cities now although this might make them cheaper to buy elsewhere,

Ignoring the DPF issue the Ford 1.6 diesel is know for oil problems :-

Earlier thread links :-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=90204

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

Edited by Big John on 16/10/2021 at 10:20

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - Engineer Andy

IMHO good reasons for this engine being known as the 'diesel of doom'. Also fitted to several Volvos and Mazdas, the latter of which suffered from far more (several magnitdues above) reliability problems when fitted with that engine compared to the 1.6 petrol.

Ford C-MAX - ford 1.6 diesel - pd

I'm not sure there are many reasons to call this engine the diesel of doom. Early examples of the 16 valve 1.6 engine certainly were known for turbo issues but it came out in 2005......quite a long time ago.

Assuming this is the 115bhp version fitted from about 2011 then it is a good engine and substantially different to the previous one. No inherent reliability issues, economical, low tax/CO2 and decent performance.

Of course they can/do go wrong but no more than anything else similar.