What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Micken

If you want E5 petrol in the UK, you have to buy super 98 at an increased cost of 10 pence per liter. Yet in France regular E5 is still available at most petrol stations at an increased cost of 4 pence per liter compared to E10.

Why are we paying more for our petrol?

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - daveyjp

I've just bought E5 in the UK and paid 3p a litre more than E10, so that looks cheaper than France to me,

Edited by daveyjp on 08/10/2021 at 16:59

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Andrew-T

I've just bought E5 in the UK and paid 3p a litre more than E10, so that looks cheaper than France to me,

At our local Shell station the only E5 petrol is V-power, which always seems to have a premium of about 10p/litre. I'll have to look around ....

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Terry W

We don't live in France.

So why should our prices mirror theirs. May just as well compare our petrol prices (currently £1.30-1.40) to the US where the price is abut half the UK!

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Steveieb

Definitely worth paying the extra for use in small engines and lawn mowers where the ethanol blocks jets to the extent that a new carburettor is the only answer as nothing will clear the jets even ultrasonic cleaning.

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - focussed

Definitely worth paying the extra for use in small engines and lawn mowers where the ethanol blocks jets to the extent that a new carburettor is the only answer as nothing will clear the jets even ultrasonic cleaning.

Nitromors paint stripper softens it, wash in hot water afterwards blow out on the airline, but remove all plastic parts first.

If you can't remove the plastic bits, don't use it.

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Micken

I bought petrol at my local Sainsburys petrol station last wednesday, there were 3 pumps E10 95, the next pump was blocked off where super 98 used to be, then a diesel pump, there was no E5 alternative, there will be lots of petrol station like this where there will be no alternative to E10 petrol, go to any carrefour petrol station in france and you have a choice of 95 E10, 95 E5, and 98 E5, in the UK there is no choice, when you find a station with E5 petrol it has to be 98 E5 with a price premium.

Edited by Micken on 08/10/2021 at 20:19

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - alan1302

If you want E5 petrol in the UK, you have to buy super 98 at an increased cost of 10 pence per liter. Yet in France regular E5 is still available at most petrol stations at an increased cost of 4 pence per liter compared to E10.

It's the British way :-)

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Bromptonaut

I've not driven a petrol car in France since c1992 so can only comment on what I remember seeing.

France was somewhat ahead of us with E10 and retained c95 octane E5 as another option at the pumps. Whether that was a commercial decision or one which was driven by legislation I do not know. France, particularly in its more rural areas, has a greater proportion of older cars than the UK which, combined with E10 arriving earlier, may have driven continuing provision of standard grade E5.

UK governments, I suspect, have left it to the fuel companies and forecourt operators to sort out on a purely commercial basis.

Did I read somewhere that there are swathes of the UK fed by particular refineries where standard petrol is still E5 as the refinery is not equipped to deal with ethanol?

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Engineer Andy

Try Sainsbury's (I can't comment about other supermarket superunlead because I've never bought any from them, only Sainsbury's and Shell), as they normally are about 4-7p (likely a percentage dependent on the wholesale price) dearer for theirs.

My local had a difference of 6p at the moment (just looked it up on PetrolPrices.com), though availability at present obviously could be an issue as a result (it's cheaper than branded filling stations' standard unleaded).

Note that the branded filling station brands like Shell, Texaco, Esso and BP apparently put more cleaning additives in their standard and especially superfuels than the 'unbranded' supermakets ones - at least that's what their marketing blurb says, which was (admitedly some years ago) confirmed by HJ (sadly now no longer owner or a contributor to this site, or to the Daily Telegraph) himself.

The difference in normal times is because that's what the market can bear - which really translates to what people are willing to put up with.

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - mcb100
If you have a Costco (with a filling station) near you, it’s worth doing the sums on a membership simply to buy fuel.
I don’t pay too much attention to petrol prices (diesel user), but their premium diesel is cheaper than supermarkets’ regular stuff.
E5 Petrol cost in the UK - galileo

My Shell station had none of my usual VPower when I called this morning so I was obliged to fill up with 'cooking' E10.

I suspect that people have been frightened by the anti-ethanol propaganda and the incorrect information on the Government website. (My daughter said it stated that her Daihatsu could not use E10, which is not true for models post-2004.) I'm. surprised that anyone accepts any Government statement as true given its record over the last 18 months.

Then again, as the E5 is much higher priced, the petrol companies may make more profit by selling it, so won't be too bothered about explaining that the great of cars can use E10 anyway.

Edited by galileo on 09/10/2021 at 14:12

E5 Petrol cost in the UK - Engineer Andy
If you have a Costco (with a filling station) near you, it’s worth doing the sums on a membership simply to buy fuel. I don’t pay too much attention to petrol prices (diesel user), but their premium diesel is cheaper than supermarkets’ regular stuff.

My nearest Cosco is about 17 miles away, and I wouldn't make enough purchases to justify the cost of becoming a member. It wouldn't be so bad if I could do the bulk of my grocery shopping there. Luckily I don't have to fill up with petrol that often as I haven't been working for a while now, so am less affected by the current situation, and my car can take E5 ok.