What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Stonic 1.0 t-gdi - First 500 miles, - _

First impressions.

Obviously lower and smaller than the Sportage, but better ride on the road, and less "wandering". Seats ok, and everything works at it should,

Haven't done a brim to brim, but display says 56.3 (taken with apinch of salt.)

Rev happy responsive little 3 pot turbo, nice throaty sound when pushed, but fine when cruising.

buying experience was good, but they know me, so no unwanted offers(!)

will update in a while.

Then Treated myself to a new nextbase GW522 wifi dashcam as Halfords would not fit the old one as I couldn't find the receipt, ( not a compaint.)

EDIT. Could not get the dashcam to connect via wifi, but 5 minutes with the Halfords techie sorted it.

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/10/2021 at 15:15

Kia Stonic 1.0 t-gdi - First 500 miles, - movilogo

Haven't done a brim to brim, but display says 56.3 (taken with apinch of salt.)

I get 42 MPG in my 1.6 L Ceed (petrol). So with a more modern smaller engine 56 probably achievable.

Kia Stonic 1.0 t-gdi - First 500 miles, - Engineer Andy

500 miles - in just a week or so? Blimey - I've barely done that in the past 9 months!

Glad it's been a good experience thus far, and thanks for the updates on this and your Sportage. KIAs are certainly on my list of 'possibles' when I eventually replace my aged (but still fine, touch wood) Mazda3.

Is yours one shod on 16in rims or 17/18in ones? I did read reports that this car and the Ceed (and the Hyundai equivalents) didn't ride so well on the larger rims/lower profile tyres.

Kia Stonic 1.0 t-gdi - First 500 miles, - Big John

Is yours one shod on 16in rims or 17/18in ones? I did read reports that this car and the Ceed (and the Hyundai equivalents) didn't ride so well on the larger rims/lower profile tyres.

This is true of many makes and models of cars these days as there seems to be an obsession with big rimmed/ultra low profile tyres giving an awful ride with less life on tyres that cost loads more. When I next change cars I'll be looking carefully at what boots any model has.

I've also invested in a recent model Nextbase (322GW) but got a bundle with a rear camera included. The latest Nextbase dashcams have better mounts compared to earlier models that allow you to position the device behind the rear view mirror so it doesn't obstruct your vision of the road.

Edited by Big John on 03/10/2021 at 17:23

Kia Stonic 1.0 t-gdi - First 500 miles, - _

16" wheels and 195/5516 tyres., One of the things I have noticed was the ride is slighlt firmer than the Sportage 205/70r 16..

But doesn't wander, or lean and directional stability is better.

500 miles - in just a week or so?

Collected Tuesday, immediately Colchester to Rugby and return, met Niece there to give my sister back, and Niece took her back to Mold, N wales. Then Saturday to Heathrow to collect youngrovergirl from her Canadian family visit.

Edited by _ORB_ on 03/10/2021 at 18:43

Kia Stonic 1.0 t-gdi - First 500 miles, - Engineer Andy

16" wheels and 195/5516 tyres., One of the things I have noticed was the ride is slighlt firmer than the Sportage 205/70r 16..

But doesn't wander, or lean and directional stability is better.

Ta! TBH that sidewall height is fine - whilst the tyre is not quite as common as the 205/55 R16, it still should be sufficient. I suspect the Sportage with its higher centre of gravity and high sidewall tyres contributed to its lower stability when changing direction, albeit with nice ride comfort.

500 miles - in just a week or so?

Collected Tuesday, immediately Colchester to Rugby and return, met Niece there to give my sister back, and Niece took her back to Mold, N wales. Then Saturday to Heathrow to collect youngrovergirl from her Canadian family visit.

Nicely run-in now!