What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used SUV / MPV / Van under £6000 for dogs - Older99

Looking ideally for a petrol SUV but would consider MPV and Van for 4 or 5 passengers and 2 German sheperds. Not a lot of mileage per year ( under 5k )

The boot must be big enough for them to stand ( or fit a crate ) not just lie down

Thanks

Used SUV / MPV / Van under £6000 for dogs - badbusdriver

Does the 4 or 5 passengers include the driver?. Because 6 up would mean 3 rows of seats unless you think you can fit everyone and the dogs in the back of a Honda FR-V.

An SUV might not give as much interior height as you think. Yes, the roof is high, but so is the floor. In an MPV, the roof is high but the floor is at a normal car height. German Sheperds are well known for having problems with their joints at the rear, so I'd have said as low a loading lip as possible should be a priority. Of course you can get a ramp to help with the higher floor you'll probably have on an SUV, but not always that practical to use, especially in confined spaces.

According to Wiki, the average height of a male German Shepard is 60-65cm, so (assuming you don't actually need 6 seats) I wouldn't rule out a normal estate car without checking the height in the boot. Partly because at that budget you'll have more choice, partly because of the lower boot height, and partly because of the floor area. SUV's and (5 seat) MPV's may well have a large boot volume, but they tend not to be as long as an estate car, the extra volume comes from the height. Had a look on Google, and as far as I can find out, the boot opening on a 2007 Volvo V70 for example is 72.5cm tall, so the interior is probably going to be around 80cm which should be plenty. Might be tricky finding a petrol V70 though, but I'd check the heights in a Mondeo, Mazda 6, and Toyota Avensis.

If you do actually need 6 seats, i.e, 3 rows, that makes things a bit trickier. Most 7 seat MPV's and SUV's don't have very big boots at all with all 7 seats in place.

Edited by badbusdriver on 25/09/2021 at 18:13

Used SUV / MPV / Van under £6000 for dogs - SLO76
This money won’t take you far these days with an SUV or MPV. A large estate car would probably be the best bet and it’ll be easier for the dogs to get into than a taller SUV. My Toyota Avensis estate is far better for our Alsatian than the Honda CRV we had and the Volvo XC60 my wife has now. It has a low boot which is easier for him to get into and there’s enough room for two large dogs and 4 or 5 adults.

I’d stick with petrol considering your budget and low annual mileage and I’d shortlist the following.

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Estate
Mazda 6 2.0 Estate
Mazda 5 1.8/2.0 MPV
Ford Mondeo 2.0/1.6T Estate
Honda Accord 2.0 Estate

I’d add in the Vauxhall Zafira also but most are diesels which run a Fiat designed 2.0 with a poor reputation for longevity, the 1.8 petrol is less likely to fail but isn’t great on fuel. The Ford Galaxy or S-Max can be good but again most are DPF equipped diesels which can go expensively wrong and don’t suit your low mileage.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/09/2021 at 21:25

Had a quick look around for examples on Autotrader and I’m stunned by the prices. It’s not a good time to be buying that’s for sure. A 2010 Avensis I paid £4150 three years ago is now £5k plus at a dealer. Private sales are around £3500-£4500. One 2010 example was £6500!

Good cars though, just watch out for overly excitable fault warning lights. A small exhaust can bring on the lot, from TCS, Parking brake, EML and emissions lights as I discovered recently. Mine is sorted now and back to providing (fingers crossed) hassle free motoring for another few years. It’s just too useful to part with. It can take my mountain bike in the back with rear seats folded or it can carry 5 adults and the dog no problem yet on a run it can touch 50mpg with a light foot. It’s surprisingly decent on fuel for a large petrol estate, I can understand why HJ said in his initial review that the more costly diesel was irrelevant.
Used SUV / MPV / Van under £6000 for dogs - daveyK_UK
You can get a 08-16 plate Citroen Berlingo MPV / Peugeot Partner MPV in the 1.6 petrol although it only comes in the basic trim.

The 1.6 petrol engine is reliable, loads of space for adults and dogs, cheap insurance.
You can get a 08-16 plate Citroen Berlingo MPV / Peugeot Partner MPV in the 1.6 petrol although it only comes in the basic trim. The 1.6 petrol engine is reliable, loads of space for adults and dogs, cheap insurance.

Hold that thought. I believe I’m right in saying the 1.6 petrol is the very same Prince VTi motor that’s fitted to other PSA models and has a rather nasty reputation for timing chain failures. The older TU series petrols in the Mk I Berlingo we’re robust but I wouldn’t touch one with the later chain driven motor.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/09/2021 at 19:26

Used SUV / MPV / Van under £6000 for dogs - badbusdriver
You can get a 08-16 plate Citroen Berlingo MPV / Peugeot Partner MPV in the 1.6 petrol although it only comes in the basic trim. The 1.6 petrol engine is reliable, loads of space for adults and dogs, cheap insurance.

Hold that thought. I believe I’m right in saying the 1.6 petrol is the very same Prince VTi motor that’s fitted to other PSA models and has a rather nasty reputation for timing chain failures. The older TU series petrols in the Mk I Berlingo we’re robust but I wouldn’t touch one with the later chain driven motor.

Even ignoring the possibility that it is the same engine, the reality is that the chances of finding a petrol version of either are very slim indeed. On Autotrader (nationwide) within budget there are two Peugeot's, both converted for wheelchair use, and two Citroens, one of which has been converted for a wheelchair, the other has been converted to a compact camper van.

Hi,
Don’t know anything about the 1.6 petrol other than it was sold in very low volume often to motability,

Hi, Don’t know anything about the 1.6 petrol other than it was sold in very low volume often to motability,

No offence but suggest it’s reliable then isn’t really based on anything. It’s actually one to avoid.
I should correct myself, I don’t know anything about the history of the 1.6 engine in the 08 plate Berlingo and other vehicles but I did know someone who owned one from new, had it for 5 years, the engine and the car was faultless.

Sorry for any confusion.

Finding a 1.6 petrol in the 08 Berlingo is the hard part as they sold so few of them.