What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
small cheap reliable run around advice - Beaglelady

hi am looking for a smallish cheap car to run and insure and tax which is reliable. Needs to have room for a pram and maybe up to two dogs.

I haven't had a car for years so have no idea.

Budget is around £4,000

I like the Hyundai i20 and the i30

the Toyota Yaris although these are more than the Hyundai models

Kia Ceed

I Will be driving to work and back 20 mins drive away,supermarket trips etc for longer drives we have a bigger car.

many thanks

small cheap reliable run around advice - SLO76
At this money you need to focus on condition and history over any particular model or spec. Tell us roughly where you are located and we’ll find a few cars worthy of a look nearby.

hi

I am in Birmingham, bordering Dudley/Sandwell area

Spotted a few.

These are tough little cars, the newer 1.2 versions much less so. Practical, cheap to run and very reliable. No timing belt to worry about either as they’re chain driven. Decent boot space and they’re usually owned by a doting older owner so they’re rarely abused. I recently bought a 59 plate example for a relative and she absolutely loves it.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109187529499

Very reliable and great to drive, I often recommend the Mazda 3. Post facelift examples like these two resist rust much better and they’re a bit better on fuel. Again chain driven so no timing belt to worry about.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202006260539441

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107145021340

Tidy wee Hyundai i30. Base model so there’s little to go wrong. As above the 1.4 is chain driven so no costly belt change to be done.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109026912623

Don’t think the colour suits it but again these are simple and robust. Watch for slipping clutches and leaks in the boot.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108316814863

Only 3 doors but spacious in the cabin and boot. Very reliable and decent on fuel and an easy sell later on as the 1.4 Type S appeals to young folks but is insurance. Also chain driven.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105142640261

Tough cars and quite simple. Easy for parts and straightforward to fix. This one looks very tidy and has low mileage but it’s due a timing belt and water pump change so factor this in if viewing, it’ll cost £300/£400 at most garages. Advert is light on detail but the pics show a very fresh car worth a viewing.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109177501525

Spotted this private sale newer shape Yaris. It’s the right model and been owned by the seller for three years. It’s low mileage and has service history which is all good. These are bulletproof and very cheap to run. Again chain driven and very easy to sell on again later on. A cheeky offer of £4000-£4200 might bag it but pay no more than this on a private sale, it’s a bit too rich as it is. Be careful when buying privately as there’s no comeback but this address looks decent and this is a perfect small car at this budget. Make sure the V5 registration doc is present and the car is registered to the seller at their current address, if not then walk away. If the yellow trade section is missing then also walk away.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109147367788

Obviously I’m not able to view these cars in the metal so I can’t say for certain that they’re all 100% but these are all worthy of viewing. Take someone knowledgeable along with you, even if that means bribing a friendly mechanic. There’s loads of dodgy dealers and cars out there and ten minutes spent searching for bargain private sales in your neck of the wood shows loads of write-offs for sale. Make sure you see the HPI report on any car you look at before buying. Never buy a write-off, unless you personally know the car and the reason for the total loss and what was repaired. Even then they’re valueless as no one will buy it when you come to sell.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/09/2021 at 09:45

Hi many thanks for your help and suggestions,I am viewing the Yaris and white Hyundai today.

Thanks Agaim6

Excellent. Both look fresh in the pictures. I just carried out an Mot history check on both and there’s no great fears to note. The Hyundai has an advisory for the last two Mot’s relating to windscreen damage on the offside but it’s not in the drivers line of sight so it’s not an mot fail. Look at it carefully though as it may be a distraction for you. I couldn’t stand having scuffs or large chips on the windscreen. The Mot is short also (1st Dec) so the dealer will need to put a fresh one on it. Walk away if he refuses.

The Toyota has a clear Mot history aside from pitted and worn front brake discs in the last two tests, so I’d factor in the cost of fitting new discs and pads to the front. There’s nothing else to note. The Yaris is the better made car, it’s cheaper to run and it’ll hold its value better. It’ll be running long after underbody rust has killed the Hyundai. But again being a private sale there’s a few added risks. That said, there’s nothing I love more than turning up at some old buddies house and seeing an immaculate Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris parked there with a load of service stamps in the book. Just don’t pay too much for it. He’ll’ve been offered £3500 tops as a trade in elsewhere so £4000-£4200 is a nice win for them.