What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - _

Been looking for a litre of Kia specific oil to carry, but KIA no longer sell them.

Was offered a slightly different spec vauxhall oil @ £23 a litre.

found exact spex shell helix £13.49 API sn-plus 0w 20

Eurocarparts has wrong grade offered.

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/09/2021 at 20:21

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - daveyjp

There's no doubt 1 litre packs are expensive,

Subaru also use 0w20 which isn't that common so its never available in supermarkets or discount stores, local car spares charge about £15 for Comma brand.

Whilst mine doesn't use much oil, maybe 250ml between services, there's always a litre in the boot for when it is needed.

Last time I needed some I looked at Amazon and found 5 litres for £23.

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - RichT54

I've ended up with 3 unopened 1 litre bottles of engine oil of different specs that I bought for cars I used to own, but never actually needed to use. The oldest must be for a car I sold in 2010! Will the oil have deteriorated by now?

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - Xileno

If anything is likely to deteriorate it will be the additive pack rather than the oil.

You could always re-purpose it or upcycle I think it's called. John F has some ideas on that: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=157172

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - sammy1

If you have to add oil to a new car between services these days, I would take it back

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - catsdad

Good luck with that. All, or nearly all, manufacturers quote ridiculously high oil consumption as being within normal limits.

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - Sprice

If you have to add oil to a new car between services these days, I would take it back

You'd have to suck it back out of the engine first.

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - FoxyJukebox

Or you could buy an electric car?

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - John F

Quite so. A driver who changes oil every 10,000 miles should never have to add oil to a car with less than 50,000 miles on the clock. Perhaps ORB is under the erroneous impression that the oil level needs to be kept 'topped up' to at or near the maximum mark on the dipstick. This might well be the case for engines with a dubious oil delivery system being thrashed on a race track (e.g. the Aston Martin 'double Duratec' V12 - the 'long dipstick' version...:-( but for normal cars, anywhere between the max and min marks is fine. Indeed, during the winter months I think it is probably better to be nearer the minimum mark as the engine will warm up more quickly. That is what I have always done, and our engines have always lasted well. Son's Focus currently nearly 160,000 miles.

Perhaps ORB is under the erroneous impression that the oil level needs to be kept 'topped up' to at or near the maximum mark on the dipstick.

Reply, No, I don't. I did spend a good bit of time in the motor trade....

The sportage used 1 litre in 13500 miles, so topped up twice,

And only to thr halfway mark!

The stonic has a small oil capacity, 3.6 litres so want to have some at hand during monthly checks.

Hyundai have re-designed (partly) the engine and now use Ow20 instead of 0w30 following some reports of problems, 1 here..but these are older models

www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/kia-picanto-gt-lin.../

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/09/2021 at 12:00

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - edlithgow

This is not a big deal either way, but I top up to the max unless an oil change is imminent.

Doesn't seem worth the effort to do anything else, and its a bit of a safety margin in case a leak develops and isn't noticed.

I suppose quicker engine warm-up with less oil might be a minor advantage in the UK, but it would be very minor here in Taiwan

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - Andrew-T

There are regular threads on here complaining about the thirstiness of MINIs. They can't all be taken back, surely ?

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - edlithgow

I've ended up with 3 unopened 1 litre bottles of engine oil of different specs that I bought for cars I used to own, but never actually needed to use. The oldest must be for a car I sold in 2010! Will the oil have deteriorated by now?

No.

Unless you believe the manufacturers, of course, some of whom apparently recommend a shelf life of 1 year, about as bare-faced a corporate lie as I can easily imagine.

However, if it doesn't meet the spec. for your current vehicle then you probably wont want to use it, so it doesn't really matter if its gone off or not.

Unless you give it to someone else, of course.

Edited by edlithgow on 25/09/2021 at 06:00

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - craig-pd130

I service my bike myself, and there are several reputable sellers on eBay such as Opie Oils that have a very wide selection of car and bike oils, all at very good prices.

But in general, even from those eBay vendors a 1-litre bottle is only half the price of a 4-litre bottle.

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - Lee Power

A 1 litre bottle of Comma Eco P oil for my Peugeot Purecrap engine was nearly £10 from the motor factor.

Had it 3 years & not had to open it yet.

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - FoxyJukebox

For the rare occasions I ever need a top up--I just key in my vehicle details onto the Halfords website and bought what they" advised" next time i visited store-job done.

Total Quartz 9000 Future GF5 0w-20 Engine Oil

At last, found correct spec at Opie oils.

found with the help of the Kia owners club forum.

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/09/2021 at 09:53

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - catsdad

My Golf main dealer service came with a “free” litre of Shell Helix ultra 0w 30. Nothing is truly free of course and I now have two unopened bottles on my garage shelf. Online it’s about £15 so they will get it cheaper but it’s a real waste of money and resources to dish them out on every service.
The car will probably be serviced at an indie next time as it’s over three years old.

At an average of just under 8K miles a year ( less then 5k last year due to Covid ) I doubt ill ever have to top up the oil on my Purecrap powered 308 - the known oil dilution issue will keep the level topped up between service visits.

OILS - Dealer no longer sells 1 litre packs - John F

At an average of just under 8K miles a year ( less then 5k last year due to Covid ) I doubt ill ever have to top up the oil on my Purecrap powered 308 - the known oil dilution issue will keep the level topped up between service visits.

I know you have a dim view of this 1.2 Puretech engine which I admire - you might want to change the oil annually if you are a 'low roller'

. www.byri.net/2021/03/07/psa-1-2-puretech-engine-be.../

I probably won't bother and stick to my 10,000 mile changes as I think if it has been run in carefully and 'red lined' fairly frequently it should mitigate any oil dilution - which actually can affect any engine and delude owners into thinking it 'doesn't use any oil at all...'

Edited by John F on 24/09/2021 at 13:02

I know you have a dim view of this 1.2 Puretech engine which I admire - you might want to change the oil annually if you are a 'low roller'. I probably won't bother and stick to my 10,000 mile changes as I think if it has been run in carefully and 'red lined' fairly frequently it should mitigate any oil dilution - which actually can affect any engine and delude owners into thinking it 'doesn't use any oil at all...'

My 308 Purecrap will be traded in before its next service is due as it will also be due a replacement timing belt at the same time.

It has a full up to date Peugeot main dealer service history so annual oil & filter changes have been carried out with the correct spec oil & genuine filter.