What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2021 71 Honda Civic Type R G.T Turbo - rear window diffusion - tomb

New car purchased from Honda last week........

View through rear screen (either via mirror or turning around to look) Is distorted in what I can only describe as a 'shimmering' effect. Happens while on the move or static when head is moved. Road white lining appears broken up & generally the view is poor.

Suspect is uneven glass associated with the horizontal heating elements.

This is my third Type R & ninth Honda. First ever problem. The mirror is good & my eyes have just been tested! No plastic sheet over the screen!

Yes, I am back to the supplier tomorrow.

Is this a one off or has anyone else come across the same problem?

tomb

2021 71 Honda Civic Type R G.T Turbo - rear window diffusion - Bolt

New car purchased from Honda last week........

View through rear screen (either via mirror or turning around to look) Is distorted in what I can only describe as a 'shimmering' effect. Happens while on the move or static when head is moved. Road white lining appears broken up & generally the view is poor.

Suspect is uneven glass associated with the horizontal heating elements.

This is my third Type R & ninth Honda. First ever problem. The mirror is good & my eyes have just been tested! No plastic sheet over the screen!

Yes, I am back to the supplier tomorrow.

Is this a one off or has anyone else come across the same problem?

tomb

I've seen it mentioned on the Civic X forum, some are talking about it but have heard it said the glass is rippled as other screens, is caused by the screen element being a slight bulge in the glass and exagerated by the glass angle

I gather some are just living with it as the angle helps the airflow.

Its also possible its caused by reduction in glass thickness to assist in weight control of the car which would exagerate the heating element bulge

Take it back anyway see what they say but also check out civicx forum see what they think

Bolt

Thanks for that. Cannot find any reference on CivicX but back to Honda tomorrow so will be prepared to argue the case!

Tomb

2021 71 Honda Civic Type R G.T Turbo - rear window diffusion - Andrew-T

If Bolt's explanation is correct, I can't see Honda being able to do much about it ?

2021 71 Honda Civic Type R G.T Turbo - rear window diffusion - bathtub tom

If Bolt's explanation is correct, I can't see Honda being able to do much about it ?

I wouldn't want a main dealer to be removing and re-fitting a bonded screen on a new car, imagine the problems that could create.

2021 71 Honda Civic Type R G.T Turbo - rear window diffusion - elekie&a/c doctor
I wonder if the op test drove the car before purchase.

All replies.

Thanks for the imput, people.

Local dealer sales & tech staff have driven the car & videoed through screen,agreeing that vision is impaired.

Conclusion is that screen is probably from a 'bad' batch. Video sent to Honda. I expect to have a new screen fitted. Could be a long wait!

I will post a conclusion

Tomb

2021 71 Honda Civic Type R G.T Turbo - rear window diffusion - Andrew-T

Conclusion is that screen is probably from a 'bad' batch. Video sent to Honda. I expect to have a new screen fitted. Could be a long wait!

I hope you are successful. It sounds as if it might be called a Design Fault caused by a very flat screen angle, in which case there would need to be a lot of variation between batches to make much difference ?