What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Carolyn Kemp

Whilst driving between 30km and 50km a low humming or whinning sounds appears - it sounds like it is coming from the front drivers side ..... I asked my garage and he said without looking at the car it sounds like a front wheel bearing.... and said the price varies between front and back bearings....I have noticed this noise for the past two months....I dont drive a lot just locally and a rare motorway trip for about an hour....am I right to assume it is a wheel bearing and if so what is the cost of replacing this? And is it okay to drive the car....before getting it repaired?

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Cris_on_the_gas

I would get this changed as soon as possible. You stand a chance of the bearing failing completely and seizing. This could cause the wheel to be dislodged and cause a serious crash.

Depending on the exact year of your Fusion the cost of the part is around £30.

Not a difficult job to do but if you don't fancy it I would ask a trusted garage to do the work.

Can't think it should take more than 2-3 hours labour but sure someone with more knowledge will put me right.

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - John F

I would get this changed as soon as possible. You stand a chance of the bearing failing completely and seizing. This could cause the wheel to be dislodged and cause a serious crash.

A vanishingly small chance. Has anyone ever had direct experience of this during this century? Even if a roller or two of the bearing disintegrates, the inner race will still rotate inside the outer race, albeit extremely noisily. As anyone who has changed a noisy bearing will know, it can be almost impossible to detect with the naked eye the causative surface problem of any of the rollers.

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - galileo

A vanishingly small chance. Has anyone ever had direct experience of this during this century? Even if a roller or two of the bearing disintegrates, the inner race will still rotate inside the outer race, albeit extremely noisily. As anyone who has changed a noisy bearing will know, it can be almost impossible to detect with the naked eye the causative surface problem of any of the rollers.

I had a front wheel bearing fail without warning, the wheel and drum moved far enough for the pistons to pop out of the wheel cylinders so no brakes. Fortunately I was approaching a roundabout late at night so no dramas, stopped using handbrake and got it towed home to fix it.

You stand a chance of the bearing failing completely and seizing. This could cause the wheel to be dislodged and cause a serious crash.

A vanishingly small chance. Has anyone ever had direct experience of this during this century?

I had a front wheel bearing fail without warning, the wheel and drum moved far enough for the pistons to pop out of the wheel cylinders so no brakes.

Drums on front wheels? I assume that was on a car dating from the middle of the last century (Ford 105E?) and which probably had not been examined annually as thoroughly as today's MoT.

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - galileo

You stand a chance of the bearing failing completely and seizing. This could cause the wheel to be dislodged and cause a serious crash.

A vanishingly small chance. Has anyone ever had direct experience of this during this century?

I had a front wheel bearing fail without warning, the wheel and drum moved far enough for the pistons to pop out of the wheel cylinders so no brakes.

Drums on front wheels? I assume that was on a car dating from the middle of the last century (Ford 105E?) and which probably had not been examined annually as thoroughly as today's MoT.

John F, you correctly guessed make and model, 1960s MOTs were, like today's, somewhat variable in items where the tester had some scope for using his judgment.

There are still classic cars on the road which it was thought should be exempt from official MOTs, trusting owners to certify them as fully roadworthy.

..am I right to assume it is a wheel bearing

Seems a likely assumption. What's the mileage?

and if so what is the cost of replacing this?

I don't know, but likely to be a three figure sum.

And is it okay to drive the car....before getting it repaired?

Yes. Bearings can drone on for several thousand miles before the wheel feels rough or wobbly. It will be picked up at the MoT test long before it eventually becomes unbearable. Just don't tell the tester about it! My son's Focus recently failed on rear wheel bearings at around 150,000 miles even though he had noticed no noise or roughness, which made me think the tester must have a low threshold of failure when he tested the wheel......but then they usually like to create as much MoT failure work as possible.

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Cris_on_the_gas

Yes. Bearings can drone on for several thousand miles before the wheel feels rough or wobbly. It will be picked up at the MoT test long before it eventually becomes unbearable. Just don't tell the tester about it! My son's Focus recently failed on rear wheel bearings at around 150,000 miles even though he had noticed no noise or roughness, which made me think the tester must have a low threshold of failure when he tested the wheel......but then they usually like to create as much MoT failure work as possible.

They can also fail suddenly without warning causing injury or death to occupants or other road users nearby.

Best to get them changed ASAP

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - elekie&a/c doctor
Noisy wheel bearings can be difficult to pin point. They can be noisy for ages before they do or don’t fail completely. Possibly looking around £100 per wheel parts and labour
Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Oli rag
Don’t rule out a tyre might be causing the noise, I made this mistake and after changing the noisy bearing still had the noise present. Getting rid of my fairly worn Avon tyres cured the problem.
Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Xileno

I had that exact problem with my old Focus when it was about three years old. I was convinced it was a wheel bearing, having had wheel bearings go on other cars I knew the sound. Local garage I use said nothing wrong with the bearing and was probably the tyre, something to do with the tread blocks wearing in a strange pattern. When I came to change the tyre later in the year the noise went.

If it does turn out to be a bearing I would suggest getting both sides done. In my experience when one goes the other won't be far behind, they will have travelled more or less the same distance.

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - elekie&a/c doctor
Had one front wheel bearing go on my old Focus 3 years ago , didn’t replace any others . If you think you should replace the other side , not really necessary. What about the other 2 at the rear ?
Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Grenache

If you are able to jack up each wheel in turn, slowly rotate the wheel. If it turns easily and you hear a little scuffing noise that changes as you rotate then that's probably ok, but if you get a grinding noise that continues evenly as you rotate then it's likely to be the wheel bearing.

If you've done more than about 70,000 miles then definitely get the bearing done.

As others have said it's a safety matter but also well worth doing if you're going to keep the car any length of time.

When my car got to 80k it needed one of the front ones doing but I got both front ones done together just for piece of mind. £250 for both I think. I changed the rear ones at 100k, and the car (Mazda 6) is now at 163k and running fine, so definitely worth it.

It's just one of these things that wears out eventually, but easy enough to replace - but do it at the first sign of noise. A previous car of mine (Vauxhall Vectra) went to 220k miles and the front bearing changed twice in that time.

I had that exact problem with my old Focus ...... I was convinced it was a wheel bearing, ....... Local garage I use said nothing wrong with the bearing and was probably the tyre, something to do with the tread blocks wearing in a strange pattern. When I came to change the tyre later in the year the noise went.

I had that exact problem with my old Audi A6 at around 100,000 miles. Couldn't believe it was a wheel bearing on such a well made car - and it wasn't. Tyre renewal cured it. I think it was the steel mesh somehow reverberating in an old worn tyre.

Ford Fusion - Front Wheel Bearings - Chris M

So just to summarise for the OP.

It may/may not be a front wheel bearing.

You should/should not get both bearings replaced.

Your wheels may/may not fall off.

It may/may not be tyres instead of the bearing.

It may cost £100 per bearing or it may take several hours (read more than£100)

Do sleep well.

p.s. I know everyone has given the OP their honest advice, but if they are not confused after reading the replies, I'll eat my wheels trims.