What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - Race Bennon

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a car for my wife as her previous one developed some faults and had to be sold as Spare or Repair. So found this really old reg car but wonderful MOT History, seller seems genuine too ... well she just got the car's MOT done and messaged me that it passed straight away, I was glad but just checked the MOT and saw this advisory that I've never seen before, wanted to know if it's something I should be concerned about (something that can fail MOT in future etc) or if it's a cheap fix ... need some advice ... following is the advisory,

• Nearside Rear Upper Vehicle structure is deformed but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced Superficial damage to outer sill (6.1.1 (a) (i))

Any quick help or advice would be great,

Thank you

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - Bromptonaut

Look for another one?

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - bathtub tom

Seems like it's been in an accident. Have you seen the car?

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - SLO76
Probably a dent in said sill. It’ll rust quickly and look unsightly, I’d ask for a picture before bothering to view it. I can’t imagine a tester noting it unless it’s a substantial dent.
2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - Andrew-T

It's 18 years old. With a tempting history, you should examine the car carefully before making any offer, or if you are looking for a cosmetically 'new' car, look elsewhere. But if the MoT tester has passed it I don't think you need expect the worst.

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - edlithgow

Wouldn't worry me. If "structural integrity is not significantly reduced", then it isn't, and isn't likely to suddenly become so, so shouldn't lead to MOT failures in the future.

OTOH it might be prudent to continue to get it tested at the same place, since "testers discretion" can put the lotteree in MOT.

Dents can rust quickly because the paint is damaged and people don't do anything about it. If one does, then dents don't.

Doing more than rust prevention, though (ié bodywork) would be expensive, disproportionately to the value of the vehicle.

As most of the comments have shown, with this damage the vehicle will be hard to sell so should be very cheap.

If it is, AND IF your wife doesn't mind it (the biggest potential obstacle) then sounds like a keeper.

But you knew that, of course.

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - catsdad

Our 2010 Corsa had a ruddy great dent on the driver door and rear quarter panel from a hit and run. Paint was unbroken but it was beyond a smart repair. A body shop estimated repair at £500 but we never got round to it. It went through 3 or 4 MoTs and the dent was never mentioned.
When we came to sell we advertised it with new MOT and fsh and the dent fully photographed. We priced it at the lowest AT recommended figure but with £500 off. That made it £800. Nationally it was by far the cheapest non “Categorised” Corsa of that age and miles on AT that week. One of our son’s friends bought it and is still running it nearly two years later. Still dented of course.
So if the OP can do a similar deal then it’s worth the risk but if the seller wants top money then walk away.

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - Big John

This happened to my old 2001 Octavia when a well known tyre vendor jacked up the car on the sill ridge not in the prescribed area and bent it somewhat. Only spotted it a week or so later. That was at about 5 years old - structure was still sound when we still had the car in the family when it was 19 years old.

Edited by Big John on 06/09/2021 at 17:14

2003 Ford Focus - Should I be worried about this MOT Advisory - sammy1

!8 year old with a new MOT will go on forever a buy for me at the right price, a banger!! A lot of these survivors on the road