What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - Falkirk Bairn

9 years old next month & due an MoT - getting it MoT'd on Tuesday - 4 weeks early but still preserves the October MoT date.

Checking all the lights last night a son noticed the Fog light, front + driver side was smashed internally - the glass lens is intact but the bulb and reflector were in hundreds of pieces.

Not to worry I thought it was an opportunity to get it fixed at the Service/MoT on Tuesday.

Tried the Honda dealer - a fog light is £325 all but a few pennies. Then there is the fitting - bumper off job so even at Indie rates the bill would be over £400.

How can Honda dream that the price reflects the manufacturing cost + reasonable profit for Honda, a profit for and the dealer?

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - Andrew-T

I thought we all knew that these days cars are (relatively) cheap, but keeping them intact and working is expensive ?

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - catsdad

That is a lot but when did anyone boast on here about getting cheap OEM non service parts for any car.

I have never found front fog lamps useful, even in real pea soupers. They seem to reflect back too much. Are you planning to leave it broken as it’s not an MOT fail?

Failing that online breakers may be worth a look if you do repair. Hopefully a good indie would not charge the earth even if they do need to take the bumper off.

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - Falkirk Bairn

Ebay / parts distributors advertise anything from £20 to £200 for Chinese copies to Italian Brand name light Eurocarparts want £205 IIRC.

Quite happy to spend say £100 to keep the car complete. This is the first bulb to blow in the 9 years BUT how did it destroy the fitting. I have never used the fog lights as I am retired and can decide to later or the next day when the fog has lifted.

Gone are the days when I was out on the road 3 or 4 days a week and 30K miles most years for decades.

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - elekie&a/c doctor
Just as comparison, a friend has a Mercedes 500sl . Fog lamp was £90 , and around 1/2 hour to fit .
Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - Steveieb

My indie body man had an new A6 in to replace the headlamp and tidy up damage to the bumper.

When the owner heard that the headlamp price was around £2500 for the part alone he quickly decided it was an insurance job.

He also told me that Mazda paint in that lovely red metallic works out at £500 for half a litre. So he is advising everyone not to choose that colour. The Renault equivalent is miles cheaper as there aren’t so many elements.

And the headlamp cost for my daughters Polo Gt is quoted at £850 as the complete unit needs to be bought and it’s not possible to replace a bulb

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - John F
Just as comparison, a friend has a Mercedes 500sl . Fog lamp was £90 , and around 1/2 hour to fit ......

........and for an old Audi D3 A8 - around £40 and fifteen minutes. Not that I've ever needed one. Like another poster, I've never found front fog lamps useful. Their only value is to the motor industry by increasing the repair bill when the front of the car hits something and they break.

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - nellyjak

Like many here it seems, I've never used the fog lights on my Estima..we don't get the dense fogs we used to get these days...and as I'm retired I don't have to go out in it anyway..they are useless to me.....thankfully should I have ever needed to replace a bulb they are very easy to get to.

The HID bulbs however, are definitely a wheel arch liner and bumper off jobby.

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - badbusdriver

Are you planning to leave it broken as it’s not an MOT fail?

You sure about that?. I know cars don't have to have front foglights, but I was under the impression it was one of those things where if you have them, they must work?.

Rear fog light(s) must work - automatic fail of MoT.

Front fog lights were fitted to the top models in the range - plastic blanking plates fitted to the bumper of the lower models.

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - corax

In a supplement guide to used cars I had in the late eighties, Quentin Wilson described Honda spares as 'silk wrapped',

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - bathtub tom

plastic blanking plates fitted to the bumper of the lower models.

So how much do the plastic blanking plates cost (from a scrapyard)?

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - catsdad
bbd we are both right. Fog lights are only part of the test for cars first used after 1 March 2018. So for the OPs car the lights are not tested but later, post 2018, cars would be tested.

Edited by catsdad on 03/09/2021 at 19:24

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - Halmerend

Quintin Wilson eh. Whatever happened to him?

Quintin Wilson eh. Whatever happened to him?

>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Willson

Liked this kids' names - Max, Mini & Mercedes!

Honda CRV 2012 - Honda Parts cost - £325 for a foglight + labour - MGspannerman

The nearside foglight on my Avensis had the glass broken a few years ago. Toyota replacement was, as I recollect, around the £180 mark fitted. I bought a cheap pattern part on Ebay made fo genuine Chinese plastic for less than £20 and fitted it myself. Still working and my knuckles have repaired themselves.