What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Golf MK7 or Leon TSi - VAG automatic best second hand option? - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

My wife needs an auto and really likes a Golf. I'm conscious of some of the supposed risks in this choice. So back ground assumptions - vaguely 9 - 10k price point, FSH, newer than 2013, automatic, sat nav, we'll keep it for 7 years & do 40k - choices Golf MK7 1.4 TSI, Leon 1.8 TSI, Leon/Golf 1.2 TSi. For similar money what would you consider to be the less risky option, eg. 2013 1.4 Golf with 40k or 2018 1.4 Golf with 100k or 1.8 Leon with 80k or 1.2 Leon with 40k? We currently have a 1.2 TSi Leon manual and it's rock solid.

Many Thanks for any opinions / experiences.

Golf MK7 or Leon TSi - VAG automatic best second hand option? - _

Meighbour has just been landed a £4,100 bill for a repair on an automated manual., 7 years old that they have had for 3 years/

Do you feel lucky

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/08/2021 at 09:30

Golf MK7 or Leon TSi - VAG automatic best second hand option? - badbusdriver

Wouldn't be keen on anything second hand with a DSG box, but especially the dry clutch version you'd get on the smaller petrol engines. They can be reliable if they have been driven considerately and looked after properly, but how would you determine how a second hand car has been driven?.

Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Toyota Auris. As an auto, I'd have one of them in a heartbeat over anything with a dual clutch automated manual.

Golf MK7 or Leon TSi - VAG automatic best second hand option? - SLO76
No one with any understanding of these cars will recommend a DSG equipped model as a used purchase I’m afraid. You’ll either just need to risk it (keep £5-6k in reserve for the almost inevitable failure) or listen to us and buy something with a reliable gearbox instead such as a Mazda 3 or Toyota Auris.
Golf MK7 or Leon TSi - VAG automatic best second hand option? - John F

If you can up the budget a bit, suggest adding Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech with the reliable EAT6 (not the earlier ETG autobox) to your list. We've had one for nearly two years and are still v pleased with it. It's a great powertrain and SWMBO likes the low rear loading platform with no lip - like the estate cars we used to have. It is intended to last/outlast us at least as long as its predecessor, a Focus estate, now over 20yrs old.

Golf MK7 or Leon TSi - VAG automatic best second hand option? - 5cylinderdiesel

OK, thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that post 2013 they'd sort some dsg issues out like on the 1.4 TSi but reading the feedback it sounds not. I've got the Toyota Auris / Lexus as next option because I know they last, just a shame it's not as nice a car to be around with as the Golf.