What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Sainsbury's -free air - S40 Man

I see my local Sainsbury's has now followed the trend of every other station and are charging for air £0.30 and also I saw screen wash £1.00 so not even free water.

My colleague bin Godalming says it's the same there, so probably a national decision.

I used to visit for air and probably get fuel half the time i visited.

I'll try and avoid darkening their door for a while, that'l learn then eh?

All - Sainsbury's -free air - FoxyJukebox
I bought a cheap foot pump and five litres of screen wash from Halfords . The pump has so far lasted 5 years+ and the screen wash just goes on and on!
All - Sainsbury's -free air - _

Although I have a full size sparewheel, I check the tyres via the digital display in the dash and if necessary use the compressor supplied with the tool kit gunk (without the gunk) (gave it away) and add screen wash from a prepurchased bottle.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - movilogo

As my car has tyre pressure display I don't have to top up often. But if needed I have a compressor in the boot. Such compressors cost less than £20.

Screen wash is the only item I need to top up between services. All other fluid levels, while I do check from time to time, rarely needed top up.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - bathtub tom

So you used to drive there to get 'free' air, but object to paying 30p for it? I wonder how much it used to cost you in fuel driving there for the 'free' air.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Gareth Parkinson

I was the same, however never going out of my way for the air. I pass their forecourt on my way home, so a cheeky nip in to top up the tyres for free was always on the cards.

Their fuel is garbage though, as is all supermarket juice, so there isn't really a reason to revisit them now.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - FP

"Their fuel is garbage though, as is all supermarket juice..."

All fuel sold has to conform to a standard. The three components of automotive fuel are all regulated. They are: hydrocarbons, ethanol and additives, which include so-called performance additives, which help increase engine longevity and include detergents, and operation additives, which include anti-oxidants.

"Garbage" is a strange way of describing such a tightly-regulated product.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Bolt

I see my local Sainsbury's has now followed the trend of every other station and are charging for air £0.30 and also I saw screen wash £1.00 so not even free water.

My colleague bin Godalming says it's the same there, so probably a national decision.

I always think people are joking when they come out with comments like this, like i travelled 12 miles to another supermarket to save 50p in shopping, must cost more in fuel getting there lol.....

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Falkirk Bairn

A son was buying tyres and was offered Nitrogen Fill for only £1 per tyre.

He declined and said he was happy with 80% nitrogen.

He got a blank look from the tyre fitter.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - brum

A son was buying tyres and was offered Nitrogen Fill for only £1 per tyre.

He declined and said he was happy with 80% nitrogen.

He got a blank look from the tyre fitter.

Many years I had a couple of Quatrac Lite tyres fitted in Sheffield they did a nitrogen fill free as standard. Those tyres never lost any pressure over their lifetime which was over 5 yrs and 50,000 miles, still on the car which was written off by a T boning taxi driver.

The tyres always looked in excellent condition, no microcracking or drying out of the rubber.

Never had this with tyres filled with air. May have been coincidence, perfect tyres, professional tyre fitters, the nitrogen fill or a combintion, who knows?

All - Sainsbury's -free air - John F

Those tyres never lost any pressure over their lifetime which was over 5 yrs and 50,000 miles,

Impossible - even with nitrogen, which diffuses less easily than the smaller oxygen molecule. See Fick's first law of diffusion.

who knows?

Physicists.

Those tyres never lost any pressure over their lifetime which was over 5 yrs and 50,000 miles,

Impossible - even with nitrogen, which diffuses less easily than the smaller oxygen molecule. See Fick's first law of diffusion.

who knows?

Physicists.

Well I can assure you I have witnessed the impossible. I am a sceptic on all matters particularly what John F has to say, given his controversial views of servicing etc.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Andrew-T

<< Many years I had a couple of Quatrac Lite tyres fitted in Sheffield they did a nitrogen fill free as standard. Those tyres never lost any pressure over their lifetime which was over 5 yrs and 50,000 miles, The tyres always looked in excellent condition, no microcracking or drying out of the rubber.

Never had this with tyres filled with air. May have been coincidence, perfect tyres, professional tyre fitters, the nitrogen fill or a combintion, who knows? >>

I suppose if we accept that the N2 molecule, being slightly 'fatter' than O2, might escape slightly less readily, tyre pressure might stay a bit longer after a nitrogen fill. But as the main escape route is via the beads, the valve, or a puncture, I suggest that will be a secondary effect.

And as the N2 is INSIDE the tyre, I can't see what it can really do to prevent atmospheric cracking on the outside, where that is mainly accelerated by sunlight. The main advantage of a nitrogen fill is that it will be bone-dry from a cylinder, not just compressed ambient atmosphere, which will certainly be damp.

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/08/2021 at 14:26

All - Sainsbury's -free air - mcb100
I get the theoretical benefits of nitrogen to inflate tyres - aircraft and F1 cars have been using it for years, but having not seen the process, a ‘flat’ tyre has 1 bar of air in it. So, does anyone know if this air is vacuumed out before being replaced with 100% nitrogen?
All - Sainsbury's -free air - bathtub tom
does anyone know if this air is vacuumed out before being replaced with 100% nitrogen?

Of course not. It's only usually offered when a tyre has been off its rim, so that's already got 80% nitrogen and inflating it (to say) 30 PSI will make it around 90% nitrogen.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - mcb100
Turns out that air can be purged from the tyre to make it close to 100% nitrogen - youtu.be/2oBkLNWPowE
All - Sainsbury's -free air - edlithgow

I've seen mention in a US highways safety document that oxidative tyre (tire) failure is largely internal, and could be slowed by a nitrogen fill.

Tire failure was a hot topic in the US due to a Ford Explorer tire failure epidemic and associated litigation.

If anyone is interested I could probably find the reference.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Mike Lyons

I always think people are joking when they come out with comments like this, like i travelled 12 miles to another supermarket to save 50p in shopping, must cost more in fuel getting there lol.....

Agree with that, it's annoying to spend 30p or 50p, even £1 on what used to be free but usually it's free to check the pressures. My view is tyres are a lot more expensive than topping up with air once in a while & if I can keep them at right pressures that helps avoid premature wear.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Engineer Andy

'Free air'! Blimey - that takes me back, to getting tokens at the petrol station to exchange for cheapo glass tumblers and petrol costing £1.30 a gallon.

I always keep my trusty foot pump and tyre pressure gauge handy when driving, just in case, besides it probably doesn't do the car battery much good (I suppose it depends when on a journey you're doing so and the length of the journey) to start it at the petrol station, then move it 10m and repeat.

I normally make sure all the tyres are ok before I go on a longer journey or every 2-4 weeks depending on usage. Never really needed to check/top-up with air mid journey. Maybe it's more for commerical vehicles who do far more mileage than the average car owner.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - galileo

'Free air'! Blimey - that takes me back, to getting tokens at the petrol station to exchange for cheapo glass tumblers and petrol costing £1.30 a gallon.

When I first had a car petrol was 3/11d a gallon, some places gave Green Shield stamps too.

Just the other day it struck me that way back when petrol was 4 shillings a gallon, so was a packet of 20 cigarettes.

Now petrol is 'only' about £6.30 a gallon but the cheapest cigarettes are about £10 for 20. Shocking price, 10 shillings each in old money, I suppose the bulk of the price goes into the Chancellor's pot for schools and hospitals etc.

I'm glad I gave up smoking in 1990, SWMBO has cut down but hasn'y managed to stop completely.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Terry W

Free air and water costs money to provide - investment, maintenance. It also takes up space on the forecourt which may reduce customers using the shop or buying coffee.

Go to the supermarket for a can of baked beans - you don't normally get a free tin opener. So why should air and water be different.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - badbusdriver

I'll admit my memory isn't that great these days, but I don't remember ever not paying for air, so I'm a bit baffled as to why it is such a big deal for the OP?

I'll admit my memory isn't that great these days, but I don't remember ever not paying for air,

It's many many moons since I topped up my tyres on any forecourt, but I certainly remember doing it for free. That may have been in Canada or the US, but I'm pretty sure you could do it over here, once upon a time ...

I'll admit my memory isn't that great these days, but I don't remember ever not paying for air,

It's many many moons since I topped up my tyres on any forecourt, but I certainly remember doing it for free. That may have been in Canada or the US, but I'm pretty sure you could do it over here, once upon a time ...

Was that when the forecourt attendant saluted you on your way out? :-)

<< Was that when the forecourt attendant saluted you on your way out? :-) >>

I'm not old enough to remember that ... :-)

Technically I'm not either, but I've seen it on TV!

Technically I'm not either, but I've seen it on TV!

You sometimes get a bow in Japan. Sometimes they line up and its coreographed, though that's pretty rare.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - _

In the late 60's my sister worked at a ptrol station and all the girls used to stop short of full and would be told "keep the change love."

Low cut tops a speciality in summer.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - ralph278

Drat! There goes my scheme to build a bike with a holding tank and an air wrench to ride from garage to garage enjoying free power

All - Sainsbury's -free air - sammy1

Well at least most air machines advise you to take off the dust caps first which could save you 10p!

Free air and water costs money to provide - investment, maintenance. It also takes up space on the forecourt which may reduce customers using the shop or buying coffee.

Go to the supermarket for a can of baked beans - you don't normally get a free tin opener. So why should air and water be different.

Last time I looked, every can of beans on sale had a can opener built in. Just pull the ring pull.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - alan1302

Last time I looked, every can of beans on sale had a can opener built in. Just pull the ring pull.

You need some Branston beans...no ring pull...nicer taste than other baked beans though.

You need some Branston beans...no ring pull...nicer taste than other baked beans though.

I can defintely vouch for that.

Precedent. i.e. because they used to be.

But you knew that, really, didn't you?

When I first had a car petrol was 3/11d a gallon, some places gave Green Shield stamps too.

Green Shield Stamps - I can just about remember them! My parents taking books of them to exchange for Go-knows-what at Argos (?) or similar back in the early 80s I think.

Just the other day it struck me that way back when petrol was 4 shillings a gallon, so was a packet of 20 cigarettes.

Now petrol is 'only' about £6.30 a gallon but the cheapest cigarettes are about £10 for 20. Shocking price, 10 shillings each in old money, I suppose the bulk of the price goes into the Chancellor's pot for schools and hospitals etc.

I'm glad I gave up smoking in 1990, SWMBO has cut down but hasn'y managed to stop completely.

Nasty habit. And a b***** expensive one too. My dad stopped 15 years ago after a health scare, which ironically probably helped pay for some nice holidays and a new car since. My vice is (still) sugary things (I'm tea totalled), despite being in my late 40s now.

Trying to cut down on that myself, not just for health reasons, but because quite a number of my fave (sugary) foods are now very expensive themselves in pandemic times. I can recall buying cans of coke for and Mars bars for 20pin my youth. Hardly cheap today (the latter being considerably smaller).

I miss the 1980s and 90s. I must be getting old.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - John F

I'm glad I gave up smoking in 1990, SWMBO has cut down but hasn't managed to stop completely.

It's all to do with self-perception. SWMBO still clearly self-identifies as a 'smoker'.

What is the reply to an offer of an unwanted ciggy? Smoker - 'No thanks, I'm trying to give up'. Non-smoker - 'No thanks - I don't smoke'.

Imagine the perception of the one vase/two faces picture. (google it if you don't know it). It requires a mental switch to go from one to the other, but the picture is exactly the same. The secret is to do the same with your self-perception; smoker to non-smoker. Same brain cells, different perception. Hope this helps someone...

All - Sainsbury's -free air - galileo

Green Shield Stamps - I can just about remember them! My parents taking books of them to exchange for Go-knows-what at Argos (?) or similar back in the early 80s I think.

Nasty habit. And a b***** expensive one too. My dad stopped 15 years ago after a health scare, which ironically probably helped pay for some nice holidays and a new car since. My vice is (still) sugary things (I'm tea totalled), despite being in my late 40s now.

Trying to cut down on that myself, not just for health reasons, but because quite a number of my fave (sugary) foods are now very expensive themselves in pandemic times. I can recall buying cans of coke for and Mars bars for 20pin my youth. Hardly cheap today (the latter being considerably smaller).

I miss the 1980s and 90s. I must be getting old.

I miss the swinging 60s, many things have gone downhill ever since!

All - Sainsbury's -free air - Smileyman

I wanted to check the tyres whilst buying fuel yesterday, the machine was out of order (again - it has been vandalised so often I am surprised it is still there!) and anyway was cordoned off with cones whilst a tanker was delivering fuel. I have an air compressor and will have to use this over the weekend instead.

Also, I had to pay in the shop, I use my Sainsbury card to pay and whilst the credit limit can stand a short term £100 reduction I will continue to refuse to use the pay at pump facility unless the £100 policy is dropped, it must be very difficult for those on a tight budget to cope with such.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - FP

"... I will continue to refuse to use the pay at pump facility unless the £100 policy is dropped, it must be very difficult for those on a tight budget to cope with such."

Unless their credit card is maxed out, I can't see why. The £100 is returned, less the cost of the fuel purchased, more or less instantaneously. And they can always pay in the shop, as you do.

All - Sainsbury's -free air - expat

Air is still free here in Australia. No doubt they will soon try charging for it here. Mean while we will be behind the times and considering what the times are that is a good place to be.