What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Claiming Mileage Allowance - Chris M

My son's current and previous employer want fuel receipts when claiming his 45p business mileage expenses. I've been retired six years now, but my employer never requested receipts, I just claimed miles x 45p and it was paid.

Does anyone know if HMRC rules have changed? My employer was a large insurance company. They understood tax and would have taken advantage of any saving had it been available.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Miniman777

The receipts are in all likelihood a company thing not HMRC. I have a lease car between 2015 and June this year, but price to that I could claim what the company deemed was their pence per mile limit (lower than HMRC recommended), and didn't need to supply receipts.

Also worth pointing out that many of these supermarket 'Pay at Pump' options regularly fail to dispense a receipt, and it's very frustrating.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - daveyK_UK
No requirement to supply fuel receipts to HMRC if claiming mileage .
Claiming Mileage Allowance - daveyjp

I've had to provide receipts covering the period of the mileage claim for many years.

I'm told its to do with the employer claiming the VAT from the fuel element of the mileage payment.

"I'm told its to do with the employer claiming the VAT from the fuel element of the mileage payment."

That's what a colleague told my son, but I can't see how it works. Say you do 1000 miles and claim £450. Fuel at £6 per gallon and 50mpg is £120, which is £100 plus £20 VAT. So the employer can reclaim £20 VAT? But you are very unlikely to present a receipt for £120 of fuel. More likely it will be several receipts where you bought fuel over the month and not all used for business purposes.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - daveyjp

Its the VAT in the fuel element of the 45p/25p per mile. Fuel element is circa 14p per mile, VAT is therefore 2.33p per mile claimed.

A large organisation may be paying out for hundreds of thousands/millions of miles per year so it can be a significant amount.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Miniman777

"I'm told its to do with the employer claiming the VAT from the fuel element of the mileage payment."

That's what a colleague told my son, but I can't see how it works. Say you do 1000 miles and claim £450. Fuel at £6 per gallon and 50mpg is £120, which is £100 plus £20 VAT. So the employer can reclaim £20 VAT? But you are very unlikely to present a receipt for £120 of fuel. More likely it will be several receipts where you bought fuel over the month and not all used for business purposes.

Given how I did a mix of business and private miles, cant see how that would work accurately. Not all fuel I bought was used on company business, sometimes I'd use 2/3 of a tank, rest was family stuff.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Archie35

I've had to provide receipts covering the period of the mileage claim for many years.

I'm told its to do with the employer claiming the VAT from the fuel element of the mileage payment.

That's correct. It is just needed to show that you did pay some VAT on the fuel. We have to do the same. It doesn't have to be a receipt from the day of the trip, can be the last or next time you fill up, and ideally (I think, an expert might say otherwise) cover at least the amount of VAT which your company will be reclaiming. The company accountants need to be able to see the VAT details on the receipt. It's why I never "pay at the pump" if I am likely to be submitting an expense claim, to ensure I get a VAT receipt.

I've done a bit of digging on the HMRC web pages and found this. Like most things tax, it's not straightforward, but it appears to confirm what you say Archie.

"If employees are reimbursed for road fuel they have bought for business purposes the VAT charged can be treated as input tax. This can only be done if the business can show that the employee has been reimbursed either:

• for their actual expenditure; or
  • by way of a mileage allowance.

The business must also obtain and retain invoices for all fuel purchased by its employees. This means either full VAT invoices or less detailed invoices. Input tax can only be claimed on the cost of fuel for business use in making taxable supplies so any invoices need only cover this amount.

HMRC accepts that the amount of the invoice in many cases will not match the input tax claim in respect of business fuel in any one claim period, particularly where fuel is purchased towards the end of the period.

Clearly a claim cannot be supported by a VAT invoice that is dated after the dates covered by the claim. This means, in practice, that it may be advisable for employers to arrange for their employees who use, or may use, their cars for business purposes to retain all fuel invoices. This will ensure that, at the end of the claim period the value of business fuel is covered by an invoice."

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Mike Lyons

That's correct. It is just needed to show that you did pay some VAT on the fuel. We have to do the same. It doesn't have to be a receipt from the day of the trip, can be the last or next time you fill up, and ideally (I think, an expert might say otherwise) cover at least the amount of VAT which your company will be reclaiming. The company accountants need to be able to see the VAT details on the receipt. It's why I never "pay at the pump" if I am likely to be submitting an expense claim, to ensure I get a VAT receipt.

I use the BPme app to pay at pump & they email me the VAT receipt. My employer uses an online expense system & I just attach the emailed invoice to any mileage claim.

Other fuel apps are available - don't know if they email invoices.

Edited by Mike Lyons on 18/08/2021 at 20:35

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Engineer Andy

My son's current and previous employer want fuel receipts when claiming his 45p business mileage expenses. I've been retired six years now, but my employer never requested receipts, I just claimed miles x 45p and it was paid.

Does anyone know if HMRC rules have changed? My employer was a large insurance company. They understood tax and would have taken advantage of any saving had it been available.

Some companies I've worked for in the past have required recepits, others none (just requiring the destination and milage based on wherever you started at [home/office/eslewhere, whichever is the shortest*]).

* some sneaky people will base the journey on the longer travel distance (say from the office) even though they went from home and back again. Also some people will claim whilst getting a lift in a colleague's car, though I don't really know how giving fuel receipt can prove anything either way.

Some stingey firms will pay less the the max. allowable MHRC rate and expect employees just to claim the tax back on the difference in per mile rates, which for most is just 20% - pratically nothing. Often that makes running you own car for at work travelling uneconomic (costing you money rather than at least cost neutral).

For example, a former employer only 'gave' me 35p a mile and for only the first 4,000 miles (not 10,000) and then 25p a mile thereafter. That would mean, including claiming the tax back, I only got 37p/mile. I ended up using their pool car more often for longer journeys, which suited me nicely, especially as the car was nearly identical to my own.

I also suspect that if you have a company car or perhaps a car allowance, the firm will more likely insist or fuel receipts.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Will deBeast

My previous employer also wanted enough VAT receipts to cover the value of the claim. This would have been 2008-2013.

Claiming Mileage Allowance - Smileyman

As a book keeper I am familiar with the VAT rule, I worked for a computer software company, lots of business miles driven in staff own cars, everyone had to provide VAT receipts to cover the fuel, and copies of car insurance certificates showing cover in place for business usage!